I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then.

Maxing INT on every Priest and Cipher isn't really a decision though, as it's just optimal in every situation except in the rare Cleansing Flame/Disintegration build.

Rogue reducing INT loses time on their invisibility, and their substantial number of debuffs, for a passive that apparently (as evidenced by other posts in the thread) doesn't even work the way other fixed damage DoTs do.

Ranger loses time on their Quick buff, and I'm sure very few low-INT builds damage make up for the loss of Action Speed in long-term DPS, and even if Ranger does, that's one class that benefits in a game where INT is either the second best or best attribute in the game.

I'd argue no build is truly "better" by dumping INT as you not only lose the above benefits, but scrolls, potions, and drugs are also less effective for you, which leaves your character only really functional in a very narrow niche of increasing the damage of a minuscule number of abilities, and I'm not even sure the damage is more than what other classes can dish out without pigeonholing themselves into a very narrow, specific niche.

It's interesting as an alternative. Of course, if you feel the way you do, you can always submit a bug report about all the above, well-documented abilities, and see if Obsidian feels the same.

Deep wounds behaves the same as the other fixed damage DoTs in that low INT = more DPS. If the enemy has a high resolve this will also increase DPS (as well as total damage done).

Really?! Do you mean enemies with high resolve will get more DoT damage than low resolve ones? If it is true, man.... :)

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then.

Maxing INT on every Priest and Cipher isn't really a decision though, as it's just optimal in every situation except in the rare Cleansing Flame/Disintegration build.

Rogue reducing INT loses time on their invisibility, and their substantial number of debuffs, for a passive that apparently (as evidenced by other posts in the thread) doesn't even work the way other fixed damage DoTs do.

Ranger loses time on their Quick buff, and I'm sure very few low-INT builds damage make up for the loss of Action Speed in long-term DPS, and even if Ranger does, that's one class that benefits in a game where INT is either the second best or best attribute in the game.

I'd argue no build is truly "better" by dumping INT as you not only lose the above benefits, but scrolls, potions, and drugs are also less effective for you, which leaves your character only really functional in a very narrow niche of increasing the damage of a minuscule number of abilities, and I'm not even sure the damage is more than what other classes can dish out without pigeonholing themselves into a very narrow, specific niche.

It's interesting as an alternative. Of course, if you feel the way you do, you can always submit a bug report about all the above, well-documented abilities, and see if Obsidian feels the same.

Deep wounds behaves the same as the other fixed damage DoTs in that low INT = more DPS. If the enemy has a high resolve this will also increase DPS (as well as total damage done).

Really?! Do you mean enemies with high resolve will get more DoT damage than low resolve ones? If it is true, man.... :)

Yes, but only on the same types of skills that benefit from low INT. All the generic "3 damage per 3.0 seconds for 10 seconds" etc. will do less.

I tested it by setting Resolve on Serafen to 10 then to 20 and firing a Wounding Shot from a Scout (with Deep Wounds) at him. At 10 Resolve he took ~45% of the hit in DoT damage, at 20 Resolve he took ~60%.

• Like 1

Haha.

It is so that DoTs (and also the self damage of Sacred Immolation) seem to count as afflictons as well. So higher RES shortens that "afflicton". Thus more damage and dps. I bet if you put on gear that reduces afflicton duration you get damaged even more with those dumb DoTs.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

That why sometimes I died instantly with Queen fight (with 25 resolve, ring that reduce debuff duration and -20% buff reduction from rest bonus) :D 

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

I guess you can't get out any heal fast enough if a Disintegrate hits you with this otherwise great setup, right? :)

Yeah, sometime I miss Disintegration cast and it just kill my Devoted/Soulblade even under Unbending effect, but now I playing only with BDD builds so I usually don't carry about damage at all :D

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

BDD?

Barring Death's Door, got it.  :)

Yeah, good old Time Salvation and Barring Death's Door combination that make game really fun and help you survive even something like disintegration with 2sec duration :D

• 2 weeks later...

Checked disintegration to see how it has been patched.  It does not get the front-loaded bonus damage on the first tic anymore and is a lot more stable to react towards its initial damage.  Also looks like a scaling increase modifier on the timer via PL has been added? Or maybe it was always there since I never really did check the modifier breakdown for it. (Edit)  Anyways, low INT still benefits only for having the damage reach its full course quicker.  Can still be deadly when it lands, but not something "dumb" like 800 raw dmg in 3s on a high RES character. 

Edited by Metaturtle

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

Checked disintegration to see how it has been patched.  It does not get the front-loaded bonus damage on the first tic anymore and is a lot more stable to react towards its initial damage.  Also looks like a scaling increase modifier on the timer via PL has been added? Or maybe it was always there since I never really did check the modifier breakdown for it.  Anyways, low INT still benefits only for having the damage reach its full course quicker.  Can still be deadly when it lands, but not something "dumb" like 800 raw dmg in 3s on a high RES character.

How does it work now? Can you please elaborate.

Checked disintegration to see how it has been patched.  It does not get the front-loaded bonus damage on the first tic anymore and is a lot more stable to react towards its initial damage.  Also looks like a scaling increase modifier on the timer via PL has been added? Or maybe it was always there since I never really did check the modifier breakdown for it.  Anyways, low INT still benefits only for having the damage reach its full course quicker.  Can still be deadly when it lands, but not something "dumb" like 800 raw dmg in 3s on a high RES character.

How does it work now? Can you please elaborate.

Actually disregard my last sentence of low INT.  Just when I thought Obsidian had fixed the text for the total damage, it just made it even more confusing.  My fault for testing low INT versus 1 INT lol.  So I think it pretty much calculates just like any X dmg for Y seconds dot despite what the text says about its "full damage". :6  Grasida stated earlier how it gained "free" dmg in the beginning, but now it doesn't so you don't have this initial bursty tic anymore that made it do more damage than it should have.

Edited by Metaturtle

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-