Accusing me of being very generous to RPGCodex is something entirely new. And also funny. :)

Obsidian has a zero-tolerance policy with regard to racial, ethnic, gender, religious, disablement, and/or sexually discriminating remarks.

And that's why I post here and not at RPGCodex. ;)

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Obsidian has a zero-tolerance policy with regard to racial, ethnic, gender, religious, disablement, and/or sexually discriminating remarks

So which one am i  then disabled?

Or where you talking about the gay remarks?

lol sorry couldnt help myself

Obsidian has a zero-tolerance policy with regard to racial, ethnic, gender, religious, disablement, and/or sexually discriminating remarks

So which one am i  then disabled?

Or where you talking about the gay remarks?

lol sorry couldnt help myself

I wasn't referencing any user specifically.  The thread, as I read it, has only referenced the review offsite.  However, my concern was that the review itself could spawn directly discriminatory remarks that would then required moderator intervention.  Consider it a friendly intervention to hopefully prevent a full-on thread derail.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Eurgh...

So anyway, back on topic. I went and read his PoE review after this, it's notquite as scathing as I was expecting. Anddddd I quite agree with most of the stuff he says there too...! Although I still enjoy the game.

• Like 1

nowt

Haven't read the review yet, but since I do lurk at Codex very often, that sort of writing isn't surprising. Also, keep in mind, that the reviews at Codex are written for Codexers. They joke about gays, lesbians, transsexuals and everything else constantly.

And people like the place because you CAN say whatever you want there. That's why I do, for example. And they don't sugarcoat stuff. If they think somerhing sucks, they say it.

I think we are all grown adults here though. This is a good example of a real review, being able to express your thoughts in all manners as long as they are honest. If someone doesn't like what they see, they could easily just not look at it, or go away, or even just accept it.

• Like 3

To be honest, I don't even think that reviewer was really discriminating anyone.

Personally, I have nothing against sexual minorities, but for me the fact that every of my followers seems to be if not homo- than at least bi-sexual was also quite irritating. Not to mention, that they are ready to start a romance very early, even with still rather low disposition. So indeed, I think that this part of the game was made badly, compared to Dragon Age - Origins, for example. There followers had their own sexual orientation (some were bisexual, some hetero) and one had to work a little bit on relations to be able to start the romance. And some characters were more reluctant to do so, than others.

Generaly I think this very honest, and good review - "from certain point of view", as Obi-Wan would say. ;) I mean, this review is propably very accurate from standpoint of someone who played all those Infinity Engine games.

Personally, my first RPG was TES III: Morrowind. And while dialoges were definitely bad there, I really liked how main story was treated there. And I really felt in love with Morrowind. Despite poore dialoge writings, it was quite immersive, and main story was quite interesting for me. And what I find the best about Morrowind is the plentiful of the Lore to explore. After that, I was quite dissapointed by Oblivion - but mostly due to poorly introduced level scaling. But Skyrim, for me, was total dissaster as a RPG game. Meanwhile I've played also Dragon Age - Origins, and have short "romance" with MMOs like WoW and TESO.

So, with such a basis, PoE 1 was really good RPG from my standpoint, despite of the flaws punctated by the reviewer. It is not like that I don't see them, but I simply consider PoE a good game, despite of them. And to be honest, after all patches, and both DLCs, I consider it better than Deadrife.

Yep, totally non-biased ... oh wait, except against people's sexual orientation.   But now that I think about it, you didn't mean non-biased, you meant biased they way you like it (which is obviously "missionary" - so in other words boring) - or even better it was so honest, it honestly showed the writers character perfectly - but honest I'm sure you could read the same reviews on the Steam comments page, and honestly I wish the dude said something new and interesting but sadly he fell into the same stereotypes - he's afraid of god and man, so basically he is a bad stereotype of a southern evangelical ... its like fascists - they can yell how much they hate people all they want and disguise it as freedom of speech or "truth", but eventually someone in the street is gonna knock them out .... Anyway all good jokes deserve another:

My grindr went off in my Uber pool and the women in front of me said, "I recognize that sound. My husband plays that game all the time!"

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I said the review was unbiased because he appears to be writing the review without appearing to be worried about upsetting the gaming studio.

All reviewers these day just give anything a 8, 9 or a 10. They do this becaue they dont want to bite the hand that feeds them.

And im sick of everyone crapping on about this person mking comments about people’s sexuality. Seriously get over it. This is a free world

People can do whatever they want including writing whatever they want and having freedom of speech. If you dont like it that he made a comment about people being gay dont attack his review to further your agenda..

Edited by Teclis23

Nearly every companion is a flaming homo who wants a piece of your butt.

Considering the only flaming pillars companion I recall is Durance, all of my characters will now be wearing metal underwear. And a chastity belt.

Edited by Taevyr

after visiting each Eothas-stomped place, you get Skype calls from the gods, where they bicker and banter like children, and somehow you are expected to care about all this nonsense and ignore the fact that Eothas is the real protagonist of the story, while you’re only there along for the ride

Thats actually the only one that bothers me of the main story, they could have used this opportunity to make new players interested in the background of the gods and let them search in books and lore about how to better interact with each one but they instead handle you all the info about them in the same conversation like some bad TV novel's character exposure

I said the review was unbiased because he appears to be writing the review without appearing to be worried about upsetting the gaming studio.

All reviewers these day just give anything a 8, 9 or a 10. They do this becaue they dont want to bite the hand that feeds them.

And im sick of everyone crapping on about this person mking comments about people’s sexuality. Seriously get over it. This is a free world

People can do whatever they want including writing whatever they want and having freedom of speech. If you dont like it that he made a comment about people being gay dont attack his review to further your agenda..

if you believe in freedom of speech then you believe that people who don't like the review should be free to say so.
  • Like 1

after visiting each Eothas-stomped place, you get Skype calls from the gods, where they bicker and banter like children, and somehow you are expected to care about all this nonsense and ignore the fact that Eothas is the real protagonist of the story, while you’re only there along for the ride

Thats actually the only one that bothers me of the main story, they could have used this opportunity to make new players interested in the background of the gods and let them search in books and lore about how to better interact with each one but they instead handle you all the info about them in the same conversation like some bad TV novel's character exposure

The gods were better when you only got to talk to them in short, flashy, ambiguous snippets, and even better when you talked instead to people like Durance or that lady in the city temple conflicted about her faith in Magran.

The only god that wasn't a cringey waste of time in Deadfire was Eothas, who at least maintained some semblance of a thinking entity that has lived far longer than humans as opposed to "I am wael I am god of mystery I want everything to be mysterious did I mention i like mystery".

RPGCodex is decent, you just have to look past the juvenile edgelord attempts at humor. I understand not everybody wants to do that, and I don't understand that community's own attachment to that way of talking, especially when many of its members are in their 30s and 40s. It's super cringey. It's unfortunate, because in terms of actual RPG analysis, they do a fine job.

RPGCodex is decent, you just have to look past the juvenile edgelord attempts at humor. I understand not everybody wants to do that, and I don't understand that community's own attachment to that way of talking, especially when many of its members are in their 30s and 40s. It's super cringey. It's unfortunate, because in terms of actual RPG analysis, they do a fine job.

Yeah, I used to read them quite a bit -- their reviews refreshingly stood out in neverending parade of corporation fellatios that pass for reviews in big glossy advertisement-plagued sites, but years ago they were mostly blunt, abrasive and grognardy, none of these qualities are bad per se; an occasional MRA whiner here and there could be ignored. But as of some time comments and forums seem to be dominated by morons who think they're so cleverly fooling everybody with their attempts to disguise public airing of their insecurities as ~*humour*~, and even if authors of reviews aren't from the same ilk it still mars the reading when you know you'll be wanting a shower if you stepped into comments. 

• Like 1

A friendly reminder that insulting other members isn't allowed. We ask that the users of this board treat one another with respect, even when opinions differ.

At the risk of quoting myself...as the thread continued to go off topic, the utility of the thread is gone, and the last posts have been removed.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man