Ydwin & Sidekicks in general

Ok I just picked up Ydwin and it may be the first time I picked up a "sidekick" in Deadfire -

what exactly makes them a "sidekick" (vs a companion) other than limited banter ?

are they only available for a limited time?

How many sidekicks are there?

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Six sidekicks:

Ydwin

Konstanten

Fassina

Rekke

Mirke (free DLC)

Vatnir (Beast Of Winter)

They aren't part of the relationship and reputation system, and don't really talk after their opening conversation outside of one or two lines at specific places. They are permanent party members though

• Like 2

Ahhh that's comforting to hear - (the whole permanent thing) as perhaps they will make better stand ins for deserting companions than a generic store bought one :)

(Hear that Eder??   :devil:

• Like 1

Ahhh that's comforting to hear - (the whole permanent thing) as perhaps they will make better stand ins for deserting companions than a generic store bought one :)

(Hear that Eder??   :devil:

I've traded some annoying companions for sidekicks, but only because of my watcher's personality. Or maybe it's the fact that some of them complain about my shady business. :rolleyes:

Considering that they aren't that complex, I wouldn't mind if we had the option to select any subclass for them. I don't think it would cause any inconsistencies, like it would for the companions (for example: changing Pallegina's order or Tekehu's druid subclass).

sign.jpg

(Hear that Eder?? :devil:

I think that's at least part of why they did them- having sidekicks who'll stay in your party no matter what means they can be strict with companions leaving you based on things you do, because no matter what you'll always have a full party available
  • Like 3

I think that's at least part of why they did them- having sidekicks who'll stay in your party no matter what means they can be strict with companions leaving you based on things you do, because no matter what you'll always have a full party available

Makes sense. Imagine all the rage quitting if people played for dozens of hours and suddenly discovered that most of the companions abandoned them because of their choices. :banghead:

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Makes sense. Imagine all the rage quitting if people played for dozens of hours and suddenly discovered that most of the companions abandoned them because of their choices. :banghead:

Well on the other hand they did say that choices would matter...    :bat:  :aiee:  o:)

• Like 3

Six sidekicks:

Ydwin

Konstanten

Fassina

Rekke

Mirke (free DLC)

Vatnir (Beast Of Winter)

They aren't part of the relationship and reputation system, and don't really talk after their opening conversation outside of one or two lines at specific places. They are permanent party members though

i would like to point out that some of the sidekicks have a bit of dialogue in the beast of winter area, mainly Vatnir, Ydwin, and Rekke.

i would like to point out that some of the sidekicks have a bit of dialogue in the beast of winter area, mainly Vatnir, Ydwin, and Rekke.

This is good to know when you are going to the DLC island. Unfortunately you need to satisfy some conditions to access Rekke's dialogue. I think you need to be a merchant or an aristocrat.

sign.jpg

Personally, I don't really think Sidekicks should exist.

If all of them were made into Companions, you'd probably have enough companions that you could have a full party of companions, no matter your actions.

I wouldn't see Companion Konstanten, Mirke, or Vatnir caring, for sure. Rekke probably won't mouth as he's just lucky not to be dead on Driftwood (not that you could understand him if he did complain). Considering Ydwin's own actions, I doubt she's the type to judge others actions, and Fassina hardly seems to have a stick up her hindquarters.

It is if we were to build enough confidence that, were they to make that investment, that they'd receive positive returns. That's why player feedback is important.

Also, it's more likely to be seven companions + sidekicks vs eight or nine companions, the latter of which, to me, is vastly superior.

Edited by jintegrity

It is if we were to build enough confidence that, were they to make that investment, that they'd receive positive returns. That's why player feedback is important.

Also, it's more likely to be seven companions + sidekicks vs eight or nine companions, the latter of which, to me, is vastly superior.

I'd really appreciate if they upgraded even one sidekick to companion. But as people have said in other threads the devs already explained that creating a companion is a lot of work. Eight companions is a possibility, but nine is all but impossible.

sign.jpg