[Roleplay Build] "The Stormbringer" Brute Off-Tank/AoE Nuker for PotD-Upscaled [Updated!]

"I am the storm, brother... The first storm and the last."

"When men see my sail, they pray."

Mood Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RirEqehfsg&t=0s&index=4&list=FL09VAUpnF20CEQz2ofbeKlA

Who is he?

A pirate in the Deadfire who rose to notoriety at a young age, gaining a reputation as a fierce warrior who seemed to have control over the weather itself. When he hunted a prize, a storm whipped up, a tempest that always seemed to catch his enemies flat-footed but never seemed to impede him - in fact, he was as comfortable on a storm-swept deck as most men were on solid ground.

Notably, he had a reputation as both a ferocious warrior and a fair leader when it came to divvying up the spoils, always making sure each man had his fair share of loot, good food, a ration of rum, and adequate medical care should injuries arise. Of course, the care he showed his crew warranted a certain degree of respect in return. Those who plotted mutiny against him soon found themselves strung up for lashes, any who were fool enough to attempt such were marooned with a waterskin and a pistol with a single bullet.

What motivated his life of crime?

A sister who Awakened in her early teens and now suffers intense psychological trauma because of it. With their parents both dead, he cares for her in their home in Dunnage, trying to raise a king's ransom to afford the latest in animancy innovations in order to help her. Because of this, despite his usual attitude toward the pirate life, he maintains a soft spot for families, especially those with children, explaining his involvement in the Hollowborn Crisis in the Dyrwood five years ago.

Dispositions: Aggressive, Clever, Shady, Benevolent

Role: Off-tank/AoE Nuker (Eder grabs enemies and holds them, this character deals heavy damage to large packs).

Race: Oceanfolk Human

Faction: Principi

Ship Name: Silence

Class: Brute (Berserker/Devoted - Pollaxes)

Culture/Background: Deadfire/Raider

Skills: Mechanics and Stealth with a splash of Athletics/Insight and Intimidate with a splash of Metaphysics

Attributes:

23 Might (17 Base + 1 Human + 1 Chameleon's Touch + 1 Gift of the Machine +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost)
12 Con (8 Base +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch +1 Upright Captain's Belt)
14 Dexterity (10 Base +1 Deadfire +1 Boots of the Stone +2 Berath's Blessing)
20 Perception (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)
20 Intellect (16 Base +2 Berath's Blessing +2 Heaven's Cacophony)
10 Resolve (6 Base +1 Human +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Boots of the Stone)

(Considering taking 5 points each from Might and Dexterity to put into either Constitution or Resolve. Resolve for 'leadership' based dialogue checks, though I'm not sure how many of those there are in the game. Constitution for more HP)

Abilities:

Level 1: Disciplined Barrage/Frenzy
Level 2: Knock Down
Level 3: Blooded
Level 4: Fighter Stances/Barbaric Blow
Level 5: Two-Handed Style
Level 6: Confident Aim
Level 7: Disciplined Strikes/Bloodlust
Level 8: Thick-Skinned
Level 9: One Stands Alone
Level 10: Vigorous Defense/Spirit Frenzy
Level 11: Bloody Slaughter
Level 12: Mule Kick or Charge
Level 13: Unbending/Barbaric Smash
Level 14: Mob Stance
Level 15: Interrupting Blows
Level 16: Armored Grace/Brute Force
Level 17: Clear Out
Level 18: Refreshing Defense
Level 19: Blood Thirst/Unbending Trunk
Level 20: Spirit Tornado

Changes from the old build: Took out Hold the Line for Vigorous Defense early so I could take Bloody Slaughter for extra hit-to-crit and Crit damage against Near Death enemies. Took out Overbearing Guard for Clear Out for another AoE attack and for a nice "signature move" that I thought fit on a thematic level alongside Barbaric Smash.

Equipment:

Pet: Abraham - Heal on kill. Though I might consider Nalvi for +1 Resolve if I want to try to pump that up.

Weapon: Lord Darryn's Voulge - The signature weapon of this build, and what the synergy is based around. AoE attacks mark up lots of enemies with Static Thunder, and this includes Carnage. It's available ridiculously early in the game, and comes with a physical/elemental dual damage type (And is one of very few items to do so). Plus it has very nice VFX.

Armor: Devil of Caroc Breastplate - Recovery reduction, negates Confusion, and offers either health regeneration on crit or extra armor while Bloodied. Because of Armored Grace, this character can also use other pieces of armor as well, like Reckless Brigandine for more action speed, or Deltro's Cage (Though the extra penetration to shock powers it offers isn't that much).

Helm: Heaven's Cacophony. Available pretty early on and grants Avenging Storm per rest. Not sure if Avenging Storm procs on Carnage, but it definitely does on Clear Out (And looks great when you do). Alternatively, use the Defiant Apparel for Perception affliction resistance, for a piratey look if Heaven's Cacophony is too much.

Gloves: Boltcatchers. Available mid-game from the Steel Preacher bounty, and comes with a shock attack chance on crit. The only downside is the penetration for the attack seems kind of low, at least in my initial testing. Not sure if there's any food that ups shock penetration chance.

Neck: Cog of Cohh - 5% extra weapon damage (To self and party members), so effectively 2 Might. Waiting for this to get nerfed like Baubles of the Fin. 

Back: Cloak of Greater Protection > Upgrade to Shroud of Likeness when I do Berkana's Folly (Around level 13 or so). 1% chance to get Brilliant on hit, combined with Frenzy, combined with Unbending. It's just a nifty little bonus, honestly. 

Rings: Voidward and Chameleon's Touch - Voidward combined with Unbending/Unbending Trunk generates regeneration for the Raw damage taken from Berserker's Frenzy.

Belt: Upright Captain's Belt - +1 Constitution, free Concentration, and immunity to Pull of Eora effects.

Boots: Boots of the Stone for +1 Resolve/Dex and Might affliction resistance or Boots of the White for +1 Resolve and Dex affliction resistance.

Conclusion

This build has been a long time coming, and once 2.1 rolls out and (Hopefully) brings some balance changes, this will be what I bring into BoW content. Full disclosure, this is not a solo build, as I don't really feel like I get the most out of the game that way. There's a lot of neat interactions with sidekicks in BoW/probably the next few DLC that I want to see as much of as possible. This also isn't a build optimized around doing as much damage as humanly possible, though from the tests I and others have run with it, it seems to hold up fairly well, considering. It's based around a theme and, I feel, plays to that theme quite well.

Some tweaks I'm considering are based around Constitution - namely, how much I want to drop either Might or Dexterity to add to it, especially keeping in mind the +5 I get from Frenzy. As it stands, with the GotM bonus, I'll be looking at 434 HP when Frenzied at level 20. Of course that's not getting into things like "Effective Hit Points" through armor, regeneration, and so on.

Also, the little backstory snippet is for my interpretation of this character. He (Or she!) can be played in any number of ways.

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather
  • Like 3

Homie......I will pay you to play this guy and not start a maurader thread in 15 hours :p

Stick with it dude, I think it really checks a ton of the boxes you've been looking for.

Okay. 10,000$! 

No, seriously, don't worry. I'm working on/waiting on a few little mod projects, and then I'm going to bust this guy out. I think it'll be a load of fun!

Homie......I will pay you to play this guy and not start a maurader thread in 15 hours 

I don't think you alone have that sentiment.

Grats for finally finishing your build, Cyrus... for now, at least.

I don't mean to offend, but does this mean a stop to the repeated threads about your build day after day after day after day? Because I think you need a break.

Edited by Clerith

I was inspired by some of the discussion to try out s solo PotD run that’s very close to this, and it’s been a blast so far. So I think you’ll have a lot of fun!

One question: why were you thinking of picking monastic training with your lvl 2 slot? You’ll be starting with a pollaxe, which already can do bludgeoning damage (and more of it). It’s true that the Voulge doesn’t do bludgeoning, but you can run with the Voulge in one weapon slot, and another pollaxe in the other slot...

That’s what’s I’ve been doing, anyway, and it’s been working pretty well for me!

Real mood music lol:

Comin' out of nowhere

Drivin' like rain

Stormbringer dance On the thunder again

Dark cloud gathering

Breaking the day

No point running cause its comin' your way

Ride the rainbow

Crack the sky

Stormbringer coming

Time to die!

Got to keep running

Stormbringer coming

He's got nothing you need

He's gonna make you bleed!

Rainbow shaker

On a stallion twister

Bareback rider

On the eye of the sky

Stormbringer coming down Meaning to stay

Thunder and lightning Heading your way!

Edited by brasilgringo

I'm just going to point out he's going to stop this build and go back to the marauder.

Naw, I'm set. I don't want to deal with the squishiness of the Marauder, and this honestly brilliantly fits what I want to play. 

Real mood music lol:

Comin' out of nowhere

Drivin' like rain

Stormbringer dance On the thunder again

Dark cloud gathering

Breaking the day

No point running cause its comin' your way

Ride the rainbow

Crack the sky

Stormbringer coming

Time to die!

Got to keep running

Stormbringer coming

He's got nothing you need

He's gonna make you bleed!

Rainbow shaker

On a stallion twister

Bareback rider

On the eye of the sky

Stormbringer coming down Meaning to stay

Thunder and lightning Heading your way!

Oh my gosh, this is perfect. Thank you! 

I was inspired by some of the discussion to try out s solo PotD run that’s very close to this, and it’s been a blast so far. So I think you’ll have a lot of fun!

One question: why were you thinking of picking monastic training with your lvl 2 slot? You’ll be starting with a pollaxe, which already can do bludgeoning damage (and more of it). It’s true that the Voulge doesn’t do bludgeoning, but you can run with the Voulge in one weapon slot, and another pollaxe in the other slot...

That’s what’s I’ve been doing, anyway, and it’s been working pretty well for me!

Not sure! I guess because of a lack of options? I'll swap it out for Barbaric Yell. 

Lack of options? You didn't choose too many Fighter moves, apart from Clear Out and Charge (which sure do fit thematically). Don't you want to have a cheap & spammy move, that's available early, like Knockdown->Mule Kick (Interrupts on Graze, +10 Accuracy, +25% damage) or possibly Penetrating Strike (+20% damage, +4 Penetration)?

Like, do you only to plan on auto-attacking, particularly at the early levels?

Edited by Haplok

Lack of options? You didn't choose too many Fighter moves, apart from Clear Out and Charge (which sure do fit thematically). Don't you want to have a cheap & spammy move, that's available early, like Knockdown->Mule Kick (Interrupts on Graze, +10 Accuracy, +25% damage) or possibly Penetrating Strike (+20% damage, +4 Penetration)?

Like, do you only to plan on auto-attacking, particularly at the early levels?

Picked up Knock Down, not sure where I'd put Mule Kick. Any recommendations for what I could get rid of/move? 

You're right, that's tough. Barbarian gets too many good passives at PL III, it's difficult to choose. Depending on how likely the bonus is to trigger and in what size, Mob Stance might be worth it or not. Depending if that's enemies you threaten or enemies threatening you. And how often you're surrounded by enemies. The bonus per 1 enemy is quite small, but if you can realistically stack it, then it's good to leave it. And it fits thematically.

Well, Mob Stance is the only ability I have doubts about, depending on its actual effectiveness.

You're right, that's tough. Barbarian gets too many good passives at PL III, it's difficult to choose. Depending on how likely the bonus is to trigger and in what size, Mob Stance might be worth it or not. Depending if that's enemies you threaten or enemies threatening you. And how often you're surrounded by enemies. The bonus per 1 enemy is quite small, but if you can realistically stack it, then it's good to leave it. And it fits thematically.

Well, Mob Stance is the only ability I have doubts about, depending on its actual effectiveness.

Says it's per "Threatened Target," and the description states "Nearby enemies" so it looks like I don't even have to be engaged with them. The only skill I could realistically see dropping would be Charge, since I already have Staggered from Spirit Frenzy, but Charge is nice for a gap closer. 

Yeah, it's a huge difference, "Threatened target", "Enemies threatening you" or "Nearby enemies". I think depending on which is it, I may also include it in my build... or not.

Charge is difficult to drop due to the coolness factor... and the synergy with Avenging Storm.

Yeah, it's a huge difference, "Threatened target", "Enemies threatening you" or "Nearby enemies". I think depending on which is it, I may also include it in my build... or not.

Charge is difficult to drop due to the coolness factor... and the synergy with Avenging Storm.

Yeah... If nothing else, I could just stick with Knock Down since it has the Interrupt on Graze effect. But I do want to get the bonus damage though. Man, if only I could pick one more talent. 

Does Charge proc Avenging Stor

Sadly it does not.

And after a little testing I think Mob Stance might not be worth it, particularly in party play. You really have to be surrounded for a tangible benefit. It appears they need to target you as well. Up to 4 enemies targeting you in melee, Armored Grace is always better in medium armor. Also with each enemy gone/changing targets, the effect diminishes.

Edited by Haplok

Does Charge proc Avenging Storm?

Sadly it does not.

And after a little testing I think Mob Stance might not be worth it, particularly in party play. You really have to be surrounded for a tangible benefit. Up to 4 enemies around you, Armored Grace is always better in medium armor. Also with each enemy gone, the effect diminishes.

Alright! Thankfully, I can change around skills and such fairly freely now. 

Edit: Never mind, went back to the original stats. Still considering dropping some things to boost Resolve up a bit (At least to 18, since I think that's the break point for most Resolve checks in the game) but not sure what the effect on my Shock damage DPS would be, if any. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

My advice is just stop taking others' advice when you settle on a build. Play it. Develop your style. You don't need an uber min maxed build down to the 5th decimal place. If you keep second guessing yourself you will never enjoy the game. Have fun and do your thing.

Edited by Verde

My advice is just stop taking others' advice when you settle on a build. Play it. Develop your style. You don't need an uber min maxed build down to the 5th decimal place. If you keep second guessing yourself you will never enjoy the game. Have fun and do your thing.

Alright, thanks! I'll definitely be sticking with this, but I won't worry too much about the little details. Like I said, now that the retraining shouldn't... give me a bunch of random weapon proficiencies and remove all of my level 1 skills if I upgrade them, I can afford to experiment a bunch more. 

I think I'm more or less content with my current stat spread. Now, I'm just waiting for the next patch and (Hopefully) more PotD balance changes. They said it was coming in a few weeks... a few weeks ago. 

Now that I know most of the big leadership/command dialogue options come from Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate, and so on I don't have to worry about maxing out Resolve. It's good for flavor but apparently doesn't lock you out of anything in particular. 

You forget about Monastic Training, with Devoted and Berserker you will get very decent single target DW weapon with 15 PEN, which will allow you to hit even BoW dragon / Ukaizo guardian without carrying about pen

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)