Pre-Engwithan Priests And Gods...

It is stated that priestly power is derived from the priest's belief, not the god himself, in stark contrast to say, the Forgotten Realms where, if Bane does not favour you, you can be refused spells. IF this is the case then priests with clerical magic almost certainly must have existed before the "gods" were made- Despite the alleged chaos of the time that frightened Thaos, priests obviously had power, one would assume or despite what is stated, do you believe there was no divine magic before the gods were create?

• Like 1

The Engwithans' problem was not that there was no divine magic, but that there was too much of it. Every cult leader believing in some random false god had real power. That's why the Engwithans tried to discover the truth about the gods, and discovered there were none

• Like 1

The Engwithans' problem was not that there was no divine magic, but that there was too much of it. Every cult leader believing in some random false god had real power. That's why the Engwithans tried to discover the truth about the gods, and discovered there were none

I think this would be an interesting time period to explore in a spin off. I mean every yayhoo having power could be very interesting from a role playing perspective. I don't know if you'd want to tie the creation of the "Actual" Gods in there though because it's canon they were created. Maybe a plot surrounding the machinations behind the motive to create them though?

Yes! We have no bananas.

It would be interesting to see whether the Creation actually had the desired effect, to review it in an unbiased way.

• Like 1