A compliment for the Obsidian staff...

KingHarbromm

I'd just like to say that I'm really impressed with how friendly and open the Obsidian staff is being. As a member of the boards, I've seen them take a lot of flak for certain decisions and I know they have enough requests to keep them busy forever.

All the while, though, I've not seen one person from the staff get pissy with someone. I think they've been totally open with the details of the game and I really enjoy reading the boards and hearing info about my most anticipated game of all time.

It's a refreshing change from the Bioware boards. I don't want to bash anyone here, but I'll just say that I wasn't happy with a few of their employees' attitudes.

So, thanks Obsidian for such a great customer service ability. I know I really appreciate it and I'm sure others here do, too.

King Harbromm

I'm sure I speak for others besides myself when I thank you for the compliment. :)

By and large, most of the posts I've read have been pleasant and people just wanting more information or talking about something they feel passionately about. I can appreciate that, and it's easy to be courteous and friendly back. If I have one complaint about the forum is that sometimes things can get a little flamey, but I think that's sadly inevitable. To use a Hollywood cliche, "Can't we all just get along?" I'm a dreamer that way, I guess.

-Ferret

All the while, though, I've not seen one person from the staff get pissy with someone.  I think they've been totally open with the details of the game and I really enjoy reading the boards and hearing info about my most anticipated game of all time.

I guess you must have missed the anti-Bush threads in Off Topic then.. Even developers can get pissy sometimes.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes, the devs certainly are very active, open, and friendly on the boards. I remember having a dev at Bioware respond to a post once... but since I've been here, I've had several responses from devs. It's great to see so much info and discussion back and forth.

Hopefully, the flames won't get too bad on these forums. It seems many games' forums start out with lots of participation from the developers, then folks come along who lack in manners and start flaming away, and developers understandibly get gun-shy and stay away from all the negativity spewing in the forums, for their own sanity and morale's sake. I guess in an online world, it is too much to expect everyone to remember that there are real folks with real feelings on the other end. That, plus those with problems or issues speak much louder and more frequently than others in many forums. Those also seem to be the folks who shoot themselves in the foot, not understanding that their opinion might get considered a bit more, and not dismissed out of hand, if they could only express it with some level of maturity and manners.

we don't mind when the developers get worked up... heck, sometimes the only way to get useful info is to prod a developer until they let the REAL details slip. people let their guard down when they gets angry or frustrated... and Gromnir surely ain't gonna criticize a developer too harshly for becoming agitated when our intent were maybe to agitate.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

True, the Bioware boards ... not really the best example <_< , then this is a refreshing change. Although, in this part of development, the devs still have hair, nails, a clean desk, ...

Im sure that in 18 months some ppl will have pulled out their hair (or shaved it off due to losing a bet *g*), bitten of some nails and smashed the desk with a baseball bat, broadsword or substitution. Hmmm, perhaps my view of how it all goes in a company ain't exactly right. (thats why I asked for a daily screenshot from where the magic happens)

sig_nwn2_2.jpg

Rubbish, they're all 12 year old boys dressed in tutus with horrible dispositions....especiall that Ferret fella.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

i have been playing nwn on the narfell servre for almost a year, and i am an addict.

im also one of those rare beasts... a rabid and utterly nuts female gamer from australia.

i look forward to nwn 2 and i hope narf implements it when the time is approppriate. one of the things i like about narf ( and mas cruc and the rest of them) is the care with which they take changes before throwing them at us poo defensless gamers.

cant wait to see nwn 2 and i hope it is somehow backwards compatible with nwn.

love light and peace all

or if you prefer

in chaos be

meet me in narfell . i am LIlith IYapo , elder of the gyspy camp and semi suiciadal murderess.

I am Bloody Bridie O Hair, formerly demon touched gypsy fortune teller and all round mischief maker/ nutcase.

i am also eladrial skeksis there.

please ... come and rp with us a while . keep your ravenous minds off the wait for nwn2 :o

we don't mind when the developers get worked up... heck, sometimes the only way to get useful info is to prod a developer until they let the REAL details slip.  people let their guard down when they gets angry or frustrated... and Gromnir surely ain't gonna criticize a developer too harshly for becoming agitated when our intent were maybe to agitate.

Or perhaps, and this is probably just me talking all crazy, you be more mature then have a 'intent were maybe to agitate'. Sadly its attitudes like this that end up spoiling the forums in the long run.

My 2 coppers

p.s.: Ditto the compliment ;)

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

"Sadly its attitudes like this that end up spoiling the forums in the long run."

funny but we would say that it is as much the developer tendency towards mendacity and their unnecessarily taciturn natures that lead to such stuff. some developer tell us one thing on Tuesday, and we see

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

'cause the mods not mind an off-topic thread that is kissing obsidian arse. 'course, truth to tell, there ain't really all that much traffic here... so moving threads ain't all that big a deal.

HA! Good Fun!

Well ... I guess all I can do is thank you all for you kind words. We are trying to find that balance between the necessity of moderating and the reality of ensuring that professional interests are met. I cannot speak for others, but I can say - personally - thank you!!

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: