I tend to get Penetrating Strikes, then you have cheap 1 resource spam attack from both Rogue and Fighter sides. But with the build's high penetration, perhaps getting Mule Kick over Penetrating Strikes is better... I think slightly better of the idea now.

Hm, Mule Kick actually attacks Fortitude also with the damage portion of the attack, so it's weaker vs many enemies. On the other hand, it's good vs squishies you want to interrupt the most and, with +10 Accuracy and the Interrupt on Graze, is still functional vs high-ish Fort enemies. Well, it makes sense to leave it at Knockdown when you want the interrupt or vs low Fort enemies and also pick Penetrating Strike vs Tough Guys. On the other hand, Crippling Strike is generally even better and usually you can spam it more, as the Fighter resource pool has more resource intensive spenders (Unbending, Vigorous/Refreshing Defence, Disciplined Strikes + potentially Charge & Clear Out). With the Guile pool you can freely use for active damage ability spam. So perhaps it still makes sense to stick to Mule Kick and only use it for Interrupt purposes, while damage boosts mostly come from Crippling Strike / Finishing Blow.

Edited by Haplok

Yes, that's a pity. I mean you can rush the main quest get the thing and then do all the side content - but that feels a bit awkward.

Actually I did just that. Fighting Fonferrus' undead crew at level 15 was kinda rough, but I finally got the prize. The sword is very cool indeed, though it doesn't exactly outclass the other options (no accuracy bonus, less bonus speed/no extra attacks). Due to its lore and quests will now be one of my favorite crpg weapons, along with the likes of Dakkon's Zerth Blade and The Witcher's Aerondinght.

I think the real advantage to rushing these quests is the opportunity to seize an awesome galleon-class ghost ship. What can be cooler? And with no monetary investment to boot. So a strong maritime presence at no cost = win.

• 2 weeks later...

Espirs is one of the best weapons in the game for me: it's Ghost Blades proc on kill - and it doesn't matter how you kill the enemy - DoT, AoE, whatever. You don't need to kill with the Blade but can also do it with a spell - as long as you are holding the blade. That also means that the Ghost Blades will proc more Ghost Blades if they kill something.

And it also heals on kill. The more enemies around the more healing.

A stat bonus (Ravenous Soul Hunger) of +3 to certain stats on kill can be achieved easily by a Devoted/Streetfighter who can usually kill his first enemy very quickly. It stays until combat ends.

That weapon is very nice for melee/caster chars, but I guess a Devoted/Streetfighter also works very well. Since the Ghost Blades have a cone-shape it's best to attack from the flanks (like a Monk with Torment's or a Chanter with cone invocations) and not get surrounded. Else it's difficult to hit additional enemies with them.

This seems changed in 2.1 beta patch. Engoliero Ghost Blades are no longer triggered by kills from other abilities/effects. At least it doesn't work for tested Cipher powers.

Healing on kill is nice, but with Unbending and Rapid Recovery I didn't really need it, so I opted for the nice 10% raw lash instead.

Ravenous Soul Hunger is pretty awesome, yes.

As for flanking, it sure is nice. But in case of Ghost Blade, the cone is REALLY wide, so it even works decently well when you're surrounded.

The cone shape is more noticeable on Eager Blade aoe effect.

There is now a worthy aoe competitor for the estocs: Amra Axe. It admittedly IS pretty awesome. But with single damage type, lower Penetration and no PEN modal, it can run into armor Penetration issues much more often, so is not really suited for an "Armorbreaker" build.

If you do decide to go for it, do max Might (plus use items/buffs/foods/bonuses) to trigger it's special at 25 Might.

Edited by Haplok

Honestly, the kill effect on spells seemed a bit unintended, but when it did get nerfed I would imagine at least weapon abilities should still benefit.  It would be counterintuitive having to predict an auto attack kill when bursting down enemies via melee abilities.

Edited by Metaturtle
  • Like 2

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

That's so sad. I wonder if the nerf is limited to spells (I'm thinking about the AoE effect of torment's reach) and if it still works recursively (if you kill something with the Ghost Blades themselves).

Yeah, Ghost Blade kills trigger more Ghost Blades at least.

But DoTs, for example Deep Wounds, do not.

As soon as I can I'll make some tests with weapon abilities. I don't have many expectations though... if it doesn't proc from deep wounds anymore, why should it proc from other sources of damage applied through weapon attacks?

Dunno, I think there are 3 kind of abilities(or maybe more I'm not sure). First is weapon abilities, you need to performance it with weapon or fist, the second type is spells, which will be affected by Barb mage slayer. Third one is spell-like ability, like Sacred Immolation, which is neither a weapon ability non a spell... So any +% bonus to spell gears don't affect these. Maybe the ghostblade of Engoliero triggers on type 1 and 3?

• 3 weeks later...

Going devoted on a peirce only weapon and playing potd?

Um......yeah not to sure about that one. Its the most resisted weapon type.

Each for there own but i wouldnt do it. Warhamers are good for devoted

Warhammer prof gives +2 pen plus u get crush and pierce

I am using this build for my current PotD run, but I did use warhammers, like you said. PoE 1 had a ton of weapon immunes, and I am being a bit cautious. But on the same token, warhammers suffer from a lack of selection, and their base damage is very low.

Estoc modal also provides +2 PEN (at -15 Deflection, which Fighters can freely tank). I never turn it off. Devoted another +2. And Estoc has the highest Penetration rating available. Base 10, 14 at Legendary. With the above bonuses at Legendary that's 18 before Crits (+50% PEN) and Crippling Strike (+2 PEN). You can also pick Penetrating Strike (+4 PEN), but it's not necessary IMO. I prefer the Mule Kick Interrupt and Accuracy bonus.

I don't know what is the highest pierce Armor Rating on an enemy. Steel Golems have 18 on PotD, so with legendary gear you penetrate their armors just using passives. Don't know if something is higher. If you play in a party, you can have your Priest buff you with Tenacious for another +2 PEN (so 20 before active abilities and Crits) in case you meet such extreme AR monsters. So far I have no issues penetrating enemies casting Woodskin or Stoneskin either.

I think the only issue is enemies who are outright Immune to Pierce damage. Advanced/Elite skeletons come to mind, maybe some Blights. Not sure if there's something else? Edit: So, Bog Lurkers. Thank you, Dorftek.

As I wrote above just switch to a blunt for those enemies - a morningstar or quarterstaff will work nicely. You'll eat the -10 Accuracy penalty, but it's not the end of the world - and it's not like you'll meet those enemies often.

Agree, only one thing tho, Pen modals don't stack with Tenacious or Potion of piercing strikes or any other active pen increase. But food works

I didn't know this, and this sucks. So I guess I've been wasting Deflection the last game unnecessarily by having both sword modal and Tenacious cast on me. Do Tenacious and potion stack with each other?

No they don't.

And in my personal opinion you're loosing out by going warhammers. Not only is their damage low, but also the selection is quite terrible.

Estocs on the other hand have awesome effects, both for single targets and for attacking in aoe. Eager Blade is a great weapon. But finally earning Engoliero de Espirs and seeing its Ghost Blades in action is incredibly rewarding.

The only other weapon category I'd consider are battleaxes (mostly Amra) - but they actually have more issues with penetration. Maybe two-handed swords, but not really.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm currently on my 1st playthrough with this and am loving it. Question on Level 16 - Clear Out and Refreshing Defense are both Fighter skills - I have to select either. Please advise.

Thanks!

I'm glad you enjoy the build!

And sorry about that mistake. Please pick Clear Out and Adept Evasion at level 16 and then Refreshing Defense at 17.

Thank you for finding the error!

Edited by Haplok

• 3 months later...