What are the chances of a big expansion next year?

If the choice is a major expansion or a whole new story, I'd think the latter is more likely since it would better attract new players.

yeah but you will be waiting three years for the new game

An large say $30 expansion could be out in 6 months

Nothing else would make me more happy than a major $40 expansion with campaign taking place after the main game (imagine returning to Deadfire after the encounter with Eothas, seeing the results of your actions in base game, wrapping up the Eothas storyline etc.). The "more to come" planted the same idea in my head: after all a chain of smaller DLCs to keep players engaged while the big one is being worked on is a common way of doing things. The fact that we don;t know much about it doesn't go against the theory. 

But I don't really expect that to happen. I would be very happy if it would. I would preorder such expansions without much thought...

We can dream. :)

sign.jpg

Didn't Brandon Adler essentially confirm that Obsidian has no plans for any further paid DLCs after the third one in his latest Gamescom interview?

"Currently we do not have plans for any additional paid DLC after the third one, obviously that would depend on the perception of the content and what we’re doing."

So I guess all it's patches and megabosses from now on.

EDIT: Apologies for typos. Mobile posting is a nightmare.

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 8

If there is DLC 4 I hope story is after main game ending. Like Throne of Bhaal or Mask of the Betrayer.

I think The Watcher story need end. Honestly, The Watcher is a boring protagonist.
Maybe Obsidian should give The Watcher a chance to kill god or become a god. ┐(´д`)┌
Edited by misterjimmy
  • Like 1

Didn't Brandon Adler essentially confirm that Obsidian has no plans for any further paid DLCs after the third one in his latest Gamescom interview?

"Currently we do not have plans for any additional paid DLC after the third one, obviously that would depend on the perception of the content and what we’re doing."

Yes, but he also the possibility of further content open (if they do well enough etc). If major expansion is being worked on it wouldn’t be announced yet (see how firaxis does that - minor DLC, than big expansion announcement not so long before release). However, you are right - nothing Obsidian said would suggest that anything like that is in the works or planned. Any speculation regarding major content for the Deadfire after the Forgotten Sanctum is right now a wishful thinking with some major reading between the lines.

I’ve also seen numerous interviews since Deadfire’s release saying that it’s selling well.

Now that can't be right. I've seen multiple threads on these very forums declaring that Deadfire is the biggest flop since Willy escaped his enclosure, some appearing less than a week after release when Deadfire failed to knock PUBG as the Steam top seller for more than a day or so. As I understand it, Deadfire is so unsuccessful it has literally sold negative copies: Obsidian have actually had to pay people to install it on their computers.

• Like 10

If there is DLC 4 I hope story is after main game ending. Like Throne of Bhaal or Mask of the Betrayer.

I think The Watcher story need end. Honestly, The Watcher is a boring protagonist.

Maybe Obsidian should give The Watcher a chance to kill god or become a god. ┐(´д`)┌

the Watcher's story DID end, at the final ending slide

It’s an RPG. Your interactions with the world around you define who your Watcher is and if he/she is interesting to you.
  • Like 5

It’s an RPG. Your interactions with the world around you define who your Watcher is and if he/she is interesting to you.

That's an awfully narrow definition of RPG, and not even one that necessarily holds up within PoE's subgenre - PS:T and KotOR 2, and to a lesser extent the Mass Effect trilogy, have aptly demonstrated that the standard western CRPG can work with a protagonist whose identity is more defined from the outset (this is to say nothing of JRPGs). While there's something to be said for games like Baldur's Gate or Skyrim or - hell, let's throw in a JRPG that adheres to the Western model - Etrian Odyssey, in which the story of the hero's internal life is not ever really touched upon, I don't think you can really take it as a truism RPGs cannot, do not, or should not do that. I tend to agree with misterjimmy in this case, and I think a better-defined Watcher with more actual character traits would make a better foil for PoE's narrative beats. YMMV.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

In the Pillars Of Eternity games, and the Infinity Engine games to which they are spiritual successors, and the Dungeons & Dragons pen-and-paper role playing games of which the Infinity Engine games were adaptations, the player creates the main character.

• Like 1

Well.... if you poke around the game files a bit, or are familiar with the dev docs, Deadfire has reserved the package identifier LAX4 since the backer beta.  Major expansions are numbered (1,2,3,4?), while the free expansions have letters (A,B,C,D, etc...).

So, what's it all mean?  Holdover code from the planning cycle?  A bridge DLC to segue between Pillars 2 and Pillars Next?  Extended epilogue content like Mass Effect 3? A purposeful PSYOP campaign to drive the data-miners and forums a little nutty?  

Make any assumptions at your own mental peril.   :p

It's the secret romanceable items DLC you all asked for. You'll be shocked with what can be done with that helmet!

If it fits, acquit!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I would much prefer a new IP using the same engine and similar gameplay, but in a completely different setting, to be honest.

Give me the POE steampunk.  I mean, the time period we are in is almost there.  Or, make it cyberpunk, though I don't think that they want to enter that territory, what with Cyberpunk 2020 coming out.  Maybe some super futuristic spacepunk?  Meaning, cyberpunk on steroids?  Instead of just in the future, we get godlike in space, using magic and magical level technology.

• Like 1

"1 is 1"

That's an awfully narrow definition of RPG, and not even one that necessarily holds up within PoE's subgenre - PS:T and KotOR 2, and to a lesser extent the Mass Effect trilogy, have aptly demonstrated that the standard western CRPG can work with a protagonist whose identity is more defined from the outset (this is to say nothing of JRPGs). While there's something to be said for games like Baldur's Gate or Skyrim or - hell, let's throw in a JRPG that adheres to the Western model - Etrian Odyssey, in which the story of the hero's internal life is not ever really touched upon, I don't think you can really take it as a truism RPGs cannot, do not, or should not do that. I tend to agree with misterjimmy in this case, and I think a better-defined Watcher with more actual character traits would make a better foil for PoE's narrative beats. YMMV.

True, but the more you define your character the less of an RPG it becomes (at least according to my personal, unimportant and not officially worded definition). I certainly wouldn't count Mass Effects or Witcher3 as good RPGs, even though they are great action games with RPG elements.

However, PS:T stands there as this awkward game which both has a cake and eats it too. I am sure that, how much your character should be defined, is something devs think a lot about when crafting an RPG. In a game, where you can change your race/class/culture/background I feel it should be left open as much as possible. I put a bit of thought into all the characters I created for PoEs, and I feel the game works well if ones defines characters ideals/priorities/goals, rather than waiting for the game to define those. 

• Like 3

I'd be remiss if I didn't think Obsidian will do one final game with The Watcher. I base this one the fact that humans have an obsession with the number three.

• Like 4

Yes! We have no bananas.

I'd be remiss if I didn't think Obsidian will do one final game with The Watcher. I base this one the fact that humans have an obsession with the number three.

I can think of three reasons why that is incorre...Doh!

• Like 4

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Just the name Watcher is boring. It feels so passive. Really, I am here to watch? that's all I do?  Don't i at least get to so something more interactive? At least winking or giving people long uncomfortable stares? anything really... I even rather be titled the Onanist, at least that means i am doing something.

• Like 2

I don't see any actual reasons. Just bad jokes. Here, I can do that too.

I don't have a name, but how is that possible, didn't my mom give me one? It's hard to fill an invoice like that :/ I should be called Unspecified Name instead, it sounds more menacing.

Why am I a "Warden", is it because I "ward" something, pretty sure I don't. They should just call me "Harden", it's more manly and has more room for magnificent puns!

See?

• Like 1

I don't see any actual reasons. Just bad jokes. Here, I can do that too.

I don't have a name, but how is that possible, didn't my mom give me one? It's hard to fill an invoice like that :/ I should be called Unspecified Name instead, it sounds more menacing.

Why am I a "Warden", is it because I "ward" something, pretty sure I don't. They should just call me "Harden", it's more manly and has more room for magnificent puns!

See?

jokes aside, I really meant what i said.The name watcher seems to imply that our main role in this world is to observe what is around us. It sounds passive to me, and because of that it feels uninteresting. It could be just me, though. Maybe other people enjoy the name and don't feel the same way about it.

It's not that I like that name, I'm just indifferent. I got used to these games treating me kinda like no one important. I can't really get into RP if my character doesn't speak, for example. I'd personally trade my multiple dialogue choices (out of which 90% I will never use anyway) for a dialogue wheel from DA2/Mass Effect if it means my character getting personality and a voice. Unpopular opinion, I know.