The romances aren't even well-written, why do you care about getting Konstanten or Vatnir into bed

Well, Konstanten's talents don't involve words, so who would care about how the romance is written? Unless it's described by the narrator, like in DOS2. But that may sound strange, since the narrator sounds like... Ydwin. Maybe she is the narrator and is using her cypher powers to help you understand your journey. :blink:

Vatnir, being an Endings godlike, would probably be like a bdsm partner. So, maybe some people like that? Nobody has mentioned him specifically as a romance option, as far as I know, but rule 34 guarantees that someone is into it. :shrugz:

• Like 1

sign.jpg

More Ydwin content is incoming.

It's very unlikely that we'll tie her (or any of the other sidekicks) into the companion relationship system. Though I'd like to in an ideal world, it's a ton of work that involves not just additional writing (and loc, and VO, and QA), but also adding scripting throughout the game (and related systems, and QA, and UI art, and UI implementation). 

• Like 12

More Ydwin content is incoming.

It's very unlikely that we'll tie her (or any of the other sidekicks) into the companion relationship system. Though I'd like to in an ideal world, it's a ton of work that involves not just additional writing (and loc, and VO, and QA), but also adding scripting throughout the game (and related systems, and QA, and UI art, and UI implementation). 

Great news. Thanks for letting us know! :)

sign.jpg

To all the people sayin' no to this because they have some other character they'd rather have: why not both?

Like I said, if there was paid DLC for this, I'd buy it. I enjoyed my interactions with the Sidekicks quite a bit (more than the current stock of companions), and would love to have more options available to me.

Honestly, Ydwin's classes are pretty uninteresting to me, but her character concept is sweet; seems far more relevant than Eder and Aloth at least.

Can't agree more with u.

If that's the case, I'd really like to see the removal of the relationship system in future games - it sounds like an awful lot of work for relatively little gain from a player perspective, and if it precludes the upgrading of sidekicks to full companions then that's a strong net loss imo. New sidekick content is nice, but I'm really hoping for at least another proper companion out of the season pass given that PoE1's DLCs gave us 3. 

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 3

If that's the case, I'd really like to see the removal of the relationship system in future games - it sounds like an awful lot of work for relatively little gain from a player perspective, and if it precludes the upgrading of sidekicks to full companions then that's a strong net loss imo. New sidekick content is nice, but I'm really hoping for at least another proper companion out of the season pass given that PoE1's DLCs gave us 3. 

I agree. I don't need a relationship system to know whether companions like or hate each other. Their responses in conversations and the bantering with one another are enough for me to tell. Baldur's Gate had companions like and hate each other (even to the point of eventually fighting) without a complex relationship system.

When I first heard about the relationship system during the Fig campaign I was excited because I thought companions would be better and feel more important in the story. After playing Deadfire though, I don't feel like the companions are deeper or more fleshed out vs the first game.

• Like 2

Baldur's Gate had companions like and hate each other (even to the point of eventually fighting) without a complex relationship system.

You mean the first Baldur's Gate? Yes, and it sucked ass. Basically everyone in that game was like a Deadfire sidekick, even characters important to the story. Why would you want something so bland.

BG2 also didn’t have a complex relationship-tracking system like Deadfire’s. Honestly, the system didn’t quite turn out the asset I thought it would be.

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

BG2 also didn’t have a complex relationship-tracking system like Deadfire’s. Honestly, the system didn’t quite turn out the asset I thought it would be.

Agreed. BG2 "system" wasn't particularly complex, yet it was getting stuff done when it counted. Companions had quite extensive romance paths, argued with one another, fought one another, interjected in conversations and had a lot to say on various topics. Even the less-developed ones like Minsc or Mazzy. BG2 even had a romance triangle between Aerie, CHARNAME and Haer'dalis.

And more importantly, modders are still adding new companions with extensive friendship and romance paths and expanding existing companion content. Writing quality aside, some of the mod companions are actually much more complex than the ones from the vanilla game.

On the other hand, Deadfire's system is definately very ambitious, but in practice I feel like the companions are actually less developed and interactive then the ones in PoE 1. I don't think it was worth it overall.

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 5

Baldur's Gate had companions like and hate each other (even to the point of eventually fighting) without a complex relationship system.

You mean the first Baldur's Gate? Yes, and it sucked ass. Basically everyone in that game was like a Deadfire sidekick, even characters important to the story. Why would you want something so bland.

I was mainly meaning Baldur's Gate 2. I can't remember BG1 enough.  :|

Why not just have a relationship system that only forms relationships between you (the watcher) and the companions instead of having the system also feature relationships between companions as well? That would definitely save a lot of time and resources.

Edited by Sanjid099
  • Like 1

On the other hand, Deadfire's system is definately very ambitious, but in practice I feel like the companions are actually less developed and interactive then the ones in PoE 1. I don't think it was worth it overall.

I am somewhat two minds about it. Overall, I think I agree with you - a simpler system would do the trick and hopefully give more space to develop more interactions.

However, everyonce in a while something happens which puts a grin on my face. Just couple days ago unknowingly reached maximum approval from Aloth, and we had a nice chat, where he acklowledged my characters behaviour and traits he aproves off. It all felt very fitting and satisfyin to have my character choices recognized and rewarded. It is someting that simpler system wouldn't pull off. I think, what I want is more variety of interactions - more ways characters can respond to you and each other - though to be honest I am on my second playthrough, so I am sure there are interactions I haven't seen yet. 

System seem to work - hopefully it is something Obsidian can build on in the future. 

• Like 1