Rekke, guys. Rekke. A new monotheistic religion from an uncharted land nobody knows anything about. What’s not to be intrigued by?

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

That said I am curious what leak is getting baited here?  I heard Konstanten was actually the sidekick getting a little love in the next expansion?  Considering the name of the third expansion I will be shocked if Fessina doesn't get some involvement there as well.

There are hints in the files that Ydwin is turning into a companion in the next expansion.

Also, Ryona (Yes, THAT Ryona) is going to be joining the party as a sidekick. 

Rekke, guys. Rekke. A new monotheistic religion from an uncharted land nobody knows anything about. What’s not to be intrigued by?

I think with me it is not that I am not intrigued by Rekke, but that I am intrigued by him in a sequel sort of way where his hook into the main story can be exploited more fully, while Ydwin is intriguing in a Deadfire sort of way as what is set up about her feels more tied to Deadfire's story specifically.

• Like 1

To all the people sayin' no to this because they have some other character they'd rather have: why not both?

Like I said, if there was paid DLC for this, I'd buy it. I enjoyed my interactions with the Sidekicks quite a bit (more than the current stock of companions), and would love to have more options available to me.

Honestly, Ydwin's classes are pretty uninteresting to me, but her character concept is sweet; seems far more relevant than Eder and Aloth at least.

• Like 1

I’d probably buy it too.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Where did you see this?

Probably in this thread.

• Like 2

As intriguing as his homeland may be, it doesn't make him any more interesting as a companion unless they use him as a loredump. Which would be a waste of a companion.

There are hints in the files that Ydwin is turning into a companion in the next expansion.

Also, Ryona (Yes, THAT Ryona) is going to be joining the party as a sidekick. 

Oh.  File hacking is notoriously unreliable.  I won't mind if it turns out to be accurate, but I won't count my eggs until I see something official.

Where did you see this?

Probably in this thread.

If it ends up being true I'd gladly eat crow - if for no other reasons that the seemingly endless "I want Ydwin to be a full companion" threads would stop being posted.

To be fair, I wouldn't hold my breath about Ydwin going full companion, despite the evidence to the contrary. I would rather assume those files and convo triggers to be a cut content. It's clear that Obsidian was considering it - those files had to come from *somewhere*, but I wouldn't be surprised that somewhere along the way they decided that it's not worth it/too expensive/too much work (also full VO is very cost-intensive) and scrapped the idea of Ydwin as a full companion in a DLC, and what we are seeing are leftovers someone forgot to remove.

Also Josh Sawyer was very vehement recently about how much work and resources creating a companion requires.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Ydwin as a full companion - but I legitimately don't believe that Obsidian is going to go through with this.

• Like 1

To be fair, I wouldn't hold my breath about Ydwin going full companion, despite the evidence to the contrary. I would rather assume those files and convo triggers to be a cut content. It's clear that Obsidian was considering it - those files had to come from *somewhere*, but I wouldn't be surprised that somewhere along the way they decided that it's not worth it/too expensive/too much work (also full VO is very cost-intensive) and scrapped the idea of Ydwin as a full companion in a DLC, and what we are seeing are leftovers someone forgot to remove.

Also Josh Sawyer was very vehement recently about how much work and resources creating a companion requires.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Ydwin as a full companion - but I legitimately don't believe that Obsidian is going to go through with this.

This makes a lot of sense, but I'm still hopeful.

sign.jpg

2: She is already in the game as a sidekick and all her combat barks are already done.  She would need to be added to the reputation system, maybe given a few more quest interjections, given some personal conversations beyond what she has on recruitment, and a personal quest.  The rest is complete.  That's a lot to do yeah, but it isn't the entire work load either.

The rest is where the work is. The work for a sidekick is miniscule compared to the work needed for a full companion, its the reputation system not just with the main character but with the other characters that does it, the links between not just the main character but the other party members, how they will react to her comments and her to their's (increasing the work needed for the other companions too, which is why it got more expensive per companion the more companions they added). Sidekicks were done precisely because they were easy to do in comparison to full companions, and why we got four of them with just one stretch goal.

Not to say it can't or won't be done, but the workload isn't really reduced by having her as a sidekick already and is a lot more than you seem to think it involves.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I can only speak for myself but if sidekicks got upgraded to interject during quests and have banters with companions, that would be enough for me. I wouldn’t miss the relationship system that much, as it often felt “gamey” and tacked on.

I don’t even necessarily need them to have a personal quest, though I would rate the quest higher than the relationship system in the priority list.

Just having the sidekicks not be silent for 90% of the time would do the trick as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 12

I didn't particularly like sidekick idea or implementation though I liked most of their character concepts, except for dwarf hands, so I'd trade all of them in for just one of them being a full companion. Except for that one guy I already mentioned. Screw that guy, not literally, unless you want to... I don't care how you live. Do you.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if an "upgraded" sidekick only had a dynamic relationship with the player, while keeping relationships with other companions static, unchangable and reduced to a number of banters here and there, similarly to PoE1. It absolutely can be done. This affinity system IMO does not make good use of dynamic relationships between companions and it only adds an unnecessary workload for the writers and especially programmers. Pallegina will always hate Xoti no matter what,so what's the point of dynamic relationship between the two?

Honestly, I think the bigger elephant in the room is the full voice acting though. It skyrockets the budget needed for implementing a companion/expanding a sidekick considerably and for me, unecessarily so.

But again, that's just post-facto observations.

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 1

I can only speak for myself but if sidekicks got upgraded to interject during quests and have banters with companions, that would be enough for me. I wouldn’t miss the relationship system that much, as it often felt “gamey” and tacked on.

I don’t even necessarily need them to have a personal quest, though I would rate the quest higher than the relationship system in the priority list.

Just having the sidekicks not be silent for 90% of the time would do the trick as far as I’m concerned.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if an "upgraded" sidekick only had a dynamic relationship with the player, while keeping relationships with other companions static, unchangable and reduced to a number of banters here and there, similarly to PoE1. It absolutely can be done. This affinity system IMO does not make good use of dynamic relationships between companions and it only adds an unnecessary workload for the writers and especially programmers. Pallegina will always hate Xoti no matter what,so what's the point of dynamic relationship between the two?

Honestly, I think the bigger elephant in the room is the full voice acting though. It skyrockets the budget needed for implementing a companion/expanding a sidekick considerably and for me, unecessarily so.

But again, that's just post-facto observations.

I completely agree. The entire sidekick/companion demarcation seems pointlessly overcomplicated to me.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I'd just shorten that to "pointless", personally. We already had Adventurers. We didn't need Sidekicks. While this is a Ydwin thread, I'm in camp "promote all sidekicks to Companions".

To keep it in theme:
Konstanten can give the perception of events from a non-faction affiliated Neketakan immigrant (he's originally from Dyrwood).
Fassina would be terrific in DLC3 for giving insight to the Circle of Archmagi.
Rekke can give us a loredump on stuff to Pillars 3. :D
Ydwin, as stated in many places, already has a lot to say that's very relevant to the plot of Deadfire.
Mirke can give a perception of the Principi from the opposite point-of-view of Serafen.
Vatnir already has a niche to be fleshed out.

• Like 2

I agree. Even a single comment of awe or annoyance would add a lot to them.

I'm playing a pale elf and didn't romance anyone during my play-through. He'd certainly be interested in Ydwin though if they fleshed her out as a companion.

You can always have a secret romance with her, without anyone else noticing. ;)

Fassina would be terrific in DLC3 for giving insight to the Circle of Archmagi.

There is a good chance that will happen. See comment #6 here:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105187-forgotten-sanctum-will-fassina-have-a-role-in-that-dlc/?do=findComment&comment=2089195

• Like 2

sign.jpg