Hey guys, anyone given this combo a try? Seems like Helwalker would lend massive might and intel bonuses. Enduring Dance would grant wounds quickly on a ranged character with careful positioning, and I assume the accuracy bonus would apply to Cipher powers? Cipher seems to have some decently cool pl 8 & 9 abilities, but nothing I'd miss overly much.

Anyone given this a try?

Also, recommended weapon setups for a ranged cipher? I like the idea of Red hand simply cause I love the weapon, and the long range may be handy, but I believe anything that hits in an aoe is recommended right?

Thanks

You're spot on. It's probably one of the 3 top Ascendant multiclasses. Extended Ascension and debuff/buff effects, huge aoe sizes plus increased damage from Might is all great. And it's not as gimmicky and requires less coordination as an Ascendant Streetfighter. Also I probably prefer it to Ascendant/Ranger, who excels at single target accuracy. Although the other 2 probably build Focus even faster. But Ascendant/Monk is definately fast enough as well. And provides the best synergy IMO.

Red Hand is good for single targets - bosses, eliminating nasty casters in the back.  Also provides a lot of Focus (don't take the Vessel destroying upgrade - it gives no Focus). But aoe weapons like dual mortars have really good synergy with high Int and with Stunning Blow/Surge you can disable whole vulnerable groups for a long time. You generate a lot of Focus and with so many targets, you're very likely to refund the Mortification cost with Surge.

Kitchen Stove blunderbuss Thunderous Report special (1 per encounter) is really nice also for a  HUGE aoe cone, HUGE damage, long lasting Daze.. and instant Ascension.

Note that 2 of those tools (Red Hand and Thunderous Report) would also work very well on a pure Cipher. Well, a little less damage then Helwalker and, in case of Thunderous Report, smaller aoe and Dazed duration. But on the other hand, you not only get acccess to PL VIII and IX with some VERY powefull stuff there (Time Parasite! and Death of 1000 Cuts), but also get access to all powers much sooner. Borrowed Instinct at level 9 instead of level 13, Amplified Wave and Disitegrate at level 11 rather then 16... that makes a huge difference.

Edited by Haplok

So far its working good at level 11. Once you get Silent Scream you can really lock down a fight and do some impressive aoe dmg. Biggest problem is the potential to get gibbed instantly.

For encounters that are easy to control, and tank packs of mobs, no problem at all. For things like ship to ship combat I instantly cast Barring Deaths door on her to prevent this. By the time she could die again, things are locked down.

In general it is incredibly easy to max focus and wounds within seconds. I start the fight by activating Dance of Death, Swift Strikes, and Mort. of the Soul. Once the mobs group up, use Stunning Blow with the two hand mortars equipped (just got em to Superb) Instant full focus and a bunch of stunned enemies. Then spam away. Can't imagine what's going to happen with Amp Wave and Disintegrate and another 7 might on top.

I'll plan to publish a build once I get a bit higher and decide on the best talents. I think I'll find myself never wanting to use some of the party buffs from Cipher that are so good. Why bother when I can just use that time to spam aoe dmg/cc.

Edited by Mocker22

So far its working good at level 11. Once you get Silent Scream you can really lock down a fight and do some impressive aoe dmg. Biggest problem is the potential to get gibbed instantly.

For encounters that are easy to control, and tank packs of mobs, no problem at all. For things like ship to ship combat I instantly cast Barring Deaths door on her to prevent this. By the time she could die again, things are locked down.

In general it is incredibly easy to max focus and wounds within seconds. I start the fight by activating Dance of Death, Swift Strikes, and Mort. of the Soul. Once the mobs group up, use Stunning Blow with the two hand mortars equipped (just got em to Superb) Instant full focus and a bunch of stunned enemies. Then spam away. Can't imagine what's going to happen with Amp Wave and Disintegrate and another 7 might on top.

I'll plan to publish a build once I get a bit higher and decide on the best talents. I think I'll find myself never wanting to use some of the party buffs from Cipher that are so good. Why bother when I can just use that time to spam aoe dmg/cc.

Silent scream only stuns the target? No? Have no idea how you are locking down a fight with it. The duration is only 6 sec aswel from memory. Mental binding is probably better

Because when ascended he can cast it over and over again until everybody's dead (especially since Duality/Turning Wheel extends the duration of ascended AND of Silent Scream's stun while the MIG bonus makes sure the raw damage hits hard). So - it stuns and causes raw damage. And the recovery is short enough so that you can potentially stunlock enemies.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Because when ascended he can cast it over and over again until everybody's dead (especially since Duality/Turning Wheel extends the duration of ascended AND of Silent Scream's stun while the MIG bonus makes sure the raw damage hits hard). So - it stuns and causes raw damage. And the recovery is short enough so that you can potentially stunlock enemies.

Ya, just target a different enemy each time and a bunch of them are stunned. The duration is pretty long with like 27 intel. Also Stunning Blow in an aoe.

• Like 1