Hey all. Of course this question is extremely subjective, but I'm hoping for some general advice that may help me make up my mind. I want to take either a priest or wizard through all of POE1 & 2. Priest would be a caster built around huge aoe fire dmg and buffs, wizard would mostly be a classic CC / debuff / nuke wizard.

I'm more familiar with wizards in general, and it seems like they start a lot faster?

Priest I've never done anything except buff and heal bot, but their high level damage spells look beastly. Not too sure in POE2 if they still have massive dmg.

I'd prefer whichever character is going to feel like they just nuclear bomb everything at high levels, but I'm concerned priest won't start to feel fun until 11-13?

Anyways, thanks for any discussion that may help set my mind at ease here.

Berath and Magran are really good damage dealers. But as you said: they need higher levels. Usually with Pillar of Flames things start to get interesting in terms of AoE damage.

Livegivers are the better healers than Priests. Although a priest of Eothas with Xoti's Lantern, the Warmth Ring, The godlike amulet and those sandals is a very good healer as well. Lots of bonus Power Levels...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

One other factor to consider is what kind of micromanaging you enjoy, and what kind of micromanaging you find irritating.

In a full party game, I tend to get irritated by the kind of constant micro the wizard requires in order to avoid friendly fire. So in non-solo games, I prefer priests and druids over wizards, because I find them a lot more fun.

But if you enjoy that kind of micromanaging, then the wizard is a great choice for a nuker!

I think knownastherat was sarcastic, given how vehemently he opposed the idea that the wizard may be the strongest class in that one thread with the poll about strongest/weakest class.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

-Wizards are definitely better in PoE2 because their buffs are insta casts and they have access to deleterious alacrity of motion which improves efficiency and cast times further - so they will get more stuff done during a battle. Priest have some nice buffs but all of them are like 3sec casts and they have no speed buff. 

-Wizards have in the end the better item selection:you can swap grimoires for more flexible spell selection while with priest you are locked to the number of spells you choose per level up. 

-Wizards have access to a special grimoire (Vaporous Wizardry) which gives an extra spell cast per spell level which is huge increase in dps potency given that the downside of the grimoire (interrupt on taking any damage) is totally negated by another item as helmet (Rekvu's Fractured Casque). 

The optimized Wizard is is single class generalist or subclass Evoker who will be just casting nukes after insta buffing themselves with speed and attribute bonuses and still have access to insta cast defensive spells in a pinch should they be needed.

The optimized priest to me is a multiclass with a strong complementary martial class like a Berserker or a Devoted or Streetfighter because in the end a Priest is better off casting a few select "big damage fire spells" like Pillar of Holy Fire and Storm of Holy Fire and then using Minor Avatar/(Spiritual weapon) and then going into melee and fighting it out after casting the big damage spell upfront. 

And yes if you mod you can use Rymrgand Priest for a more spell nuker wizard type priest but you can't solve the above disadvantages that it will take your priest longer to buff up and in the end longer to cast the nukes.

Thank you all. Despite really wanting to try out priest nukes I have a very hard time playing a main character that isn't interesting for the first half of the game. So wizard it is. I think I'll just take a different approach with Durance than I normally would have.

Thanks,

Mock

Thank you all. Despite really wanting to try out priest nukes I have a very hard time playing a main character that isn't interesting for the first half of the game. So wizard it is. I think I'll just take a different approach with Durance than I normally would have.

Thanks,

Mock

In all honesty tho they have few good ones at lower lvls as well, berath get touch of rot at pl1, good spell but hard to land because it targets fortitude. Shining beacon is another great spell they get fairly early

Yeah wizard is insanely strong, vs pretty much everything and they are strong from lvl 1 and all the way to 20. Priests aren't good the first 16 lvls ;P

Uh not really. You need to level up a bit to unlock more spells. Early game Wizards mostly autoattack.

As do all, a wizard can use two chillfogs at PL1, two chillfogs and a combusting wounds next PL and it just gets stronger and stronger