Thoughts on a "Pro-Principi"/"Shady" PoE1 Backstory?

Hey guys, 

So, I'm trying to create a game state for a pro-Principi/Pirate captain Watcher - basically, someone who originated from the Deadfire as a raider and then got caught up in all of the business surrounding Caed Nua and the Hollowborn Crisis for... whatever reason. Poor luck, probably, moreso than anything else. 

A little about this character - He's a fairly ruthless pirate who, during his time in the Deadfire (Late teens to late twenties - he's about in his early-mid thirties by the time of the second game) made a name for himself as both a charismatic leader and a ferocious and brutal fighter. Notably, he can be both incredibly generous with his crew - making sure each of them gets their fair share of rations and spoils - and also incredibly strict - Whenever someone attempted to undermine him, he was prone to severe and exceptionally decisive punishments. However, he also has a bit of a softer side in regards to things like children and family. He has a younger sister who has been suffering severe psychological trauma since an Awakening in her early teens, and is absolutely devoted to raising funds to find an animancer willing and able to help her. So I've tried to create a game state that captures both of those aspects. 

Hollowborn Crisis: 

- Returned the souls to the Wheel. I'm really not sure what the most suitable choice here is, because to be quite honest, the main story doesn't really leave a lot of room for playing a criminal. I suppose I could devote the souls to Woedica - the 'evil' option - but I don't really get anything from doing that. Thoughts?

- Didn't pledge to any god. This character is all about self-reliance, and thus wouldn't have accepted a god's boon if it meant being roped into their choice. 

- Destroyed Thaos's soul

- Absorbed Maerwald's soul

- Supported animancy

- Supported the Doemenels. Or, alternatively, made enemies of all three factions. Not sure what that gives you outside of Furrante dialogue though. 

Companions: 

- Didn't sacrifice anyone

- Told Sagani to tell Persoq about his family

- Supported Eder's skepticism 

- Aloth set to work destroying the Leaden Key (Grandmaster Aloth gives a better item reward, but Skeptic Aloth makes more sense narratively. A pirate does NOT need another watchdog group. 

- Devil of Caroc spared Harmke. This is purely to have access to her Breastplate. Narratively, it makes more sense for this character to let her have her revenge, but I can just spin it as him promising to hunt Harmke down later, without any witnesses, and him slipping away before he could make good on that promise. 

Most of the other decisions are largely incidental, and don't really play into major decisions or character moments throughout the game. 

White March

- Bound the souls to the cannons

- Eyeless went to work restoring Abydon: Because Abydon is like the Prometheus of Eora. He seems to want kith to be able to advance. 

- Spared Adaryc and he helped against the Eyeless. 

- Concelhaut and all of his apprentices died. 

- Llengrath died. 

Gilded Vale

- Took a bribe from Wirtan

- Killed Raedric

- Killed Raedric again

- Told Aufra the potion would help. 

Od Nua

- Reforged the Blade

- Killed the Master Below: Alternatively, let her possess Falenroed. This is genuinely a tough call. I'm leaning toward killing her because apparently she doesn't negotiate with your Watcher as an equal, and that's something that would rub this character the wrong way. 

Defiance Bay

Too many options to really go over all of them. Most importantly

- Absorbed the souls

- Used discretion when dealing with the Leaden Key

- Killed Lord Harond (I'm very glad Skaen references this properly now)

- Killed Nyrid, but Purnisc is still dealing svef: He wants to do it to make money to support his family. At least he's not being replaced by a mage anymore. 

Twin Elms

- Took Vela, killed Simoc

- Killed Rehstin and convinced Erona to kill herself

- Didn't let the Pale Elves through the Breach. 

- Let the sky dragon live and convinced Hylea to let her stay. Again, my character has a soft spot for children, even if they aren't human. 

Curious to hear what you guys have to say. Sorry the editing here is so sloppy. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

Support Domenalls, give to Galawain, spare Durance because he's awesome, kill the pale elves around the frost hewn breach, Dragon possession, work with Adaryc (he's going mad from being a watcher whether he realizes it or not).

Yeah - Honestly, as evil as I plan to be with this character, I can't really fully commit to sacrificing a companion. 

Support Domenalls, give to Galawain, spare Durance because he's awesome, kill the pale elves around the frost hewn breach, Dragon possession, work with Adaryc (he's going mad from being a watcher whether he realizes it or not).

Yeah - Honestly, as evil as I plan to be with this character, I can't really fully commit to sacrificing a companion.

Even with my "evil" characters I never received Gift of the Machine and never supported anything benefitting Skaen, besides killing Harond or whatever that nobles name was.

• Like 1

Adaric seemed sane enough when I met him in Deadfire. Though I'd say killing him seems to fit better with the character, in my view: I don't see him sneaking his way to Adaryc's command tent, and Adaryc's hard, if not impossible, to convince once you start killing his men.

The dragon's even more arrogant than the other ones in-universe, so killing her seems like the right reaction, unless you'd rather protect your current "crew" or pity her century-long captivity.

Even with my "evil" characters I never received Gift of the Machine and never supported anything benefitting Skaen, besides killing Harond or whatever that nobles name was.

I only did gift of the machine and the Skaenite sacrifice with a slightly sociopathic scholar, whose research focuses on magically strengthening souls: she reasoned that the unique opportunity to study and possibly replicate the effects of such enhancements on the soul, outweighed the life of a few Dyrwoodans (for gift of the machine) or the life of a clearly insane magranic priest who was just a bit too gleeful about killing other soul researchers (srry durance).

Not to mention that, for a frontline self-buffing wizard, said boons fit quite well.

Adaric seemed sane enough when I met him in Deadfire. Though I'd say killing him seems to fit better with the character, in my view: I don't see him sneaking his way to Adaryc's command tent, and Adaryc's hard, if not impossible, to convince once you start killing his men.

The dragon's even more arrogant than the other ones in-universe, so killing her seems like the right reaction, unless you'd rather protect your current "crew" or pity her century-long captivity.

Curious as to how letting her possess Falenroed protects your current crew. I do know Falenroed has a seat at the Council of Captains in Dunnage, but I'm not sure if the possession is the determinant for that. 

Adaryc is a tough choice. I could see this character handling the Iron Flail either way - and I'm going for someone who's as good at talking as he is at fighting. That said, I don't think his conversation really adds that much to the game, aside from a "Where are they now" for White March stuff. 

I'm not sure exactly why I'm okay with Gift of the Machine but not so much with the Blood Pool sacrifice. Maybe it's because it's sacrificing a few random villagers versus sacrificing someone we've actually gotten to know. Be that as it may, though, Durance is the most likely candidate for me to consider sacrificing. 

Curious as to how letting her possess Falenroed protects your current crew. I do know Falenroed has a seat at the Council of Captains in Dunnage, but I'm not sure if the possession is the determinant for that. 

Adaryc is a tough choice. I could see this character handling the Iron Flail either way - and I'm going for someone who's as good at talking as he is at fighting. That said, I don't think his conversation really adds that much to the game, aside from a "Where are they now" for White March stuff. 

I'm not sure exactly why I'm okay with Gift of the Machine but not so much with the Blood Pool sacrifice. Maybe it's because it's sacrificing a few random villagers versus sacrificing someone we've actually gotten to know. Be that as it may, though, Durance is the most likely candidate for me to consider sacrificing. 

I could've been clearer concerning the adra dragon - I meant that maybe you'd rather not risk your crew against a dragon, but in hindsight that must've been a brain fart. As an aside, Falanroed's always a member of the council, all that changes is her epiteth: it's either "The Dragon" or "The Dragonslayer".

If i remember correctly, you can either sneak or fight your way through Adaryc's camp, and he's rather angry if you massacre his men to reach him. So if your raider isn't beneath sneaking through a hostile camp to talk to the commander, go for it!

As for the Blood Pool, your character seems to care for his crew; so unless someone severely overstepped his/her bounds, I'd be surprised at him sacrificing one of them.

Also, concerning the hollowborn crisis: considering the devotion he shows towards his awakened sister and his general soft spot for children and family, he seems to be someone who'd consider restoring the souls of the hollowborn, as he'd be healing the souls of hundreds of children/teens, and restoring just as many families.

This could also play in him sacrificing Durance, if you really want to do that: he makes no secret of "restoring" hollowborn by killing them, gleefully scarring the souls of heretics in the Purges and seeing awakened and watchers as "wrong souls"; Depending on how quickly your raider'll take offense, it may be enough for a sacrifice.

• Like 1

I could've been clearer concerning the adra dragon - I meant that maybe you'd rather not risk your crew against a dragon, but in hindsight that must've been a brain fart. As an aside, Falanroed's always a member of the council, all that changes is her epiteth: it's either "The Dragon" or "The Dragonslayer".

If i remember correctly, you can either sneak or fight your way through Adaryc's camp, and he's rather angry if you massacre his men to reach him. So if your raider isn't beneath sneaking through a hostile camp to talk to the commander, go for it!

As for the Blood Pool, your character seems to care for his crew; so unless someone severely overstepped his/her bounds, I'd be surprised at him sacrificing one of them.

Hmm. I get what you mean about Sefyra. It's a difficult situation, because on the one hand, she is sort of sympathetic - being stuck down there for hundreds of years. On the other, she's also INCREDIBLY arrogant. If I knew there was going to be an option to meet Falanroed again, I'd opt to get her possessed for sure, because I think that could be a really interesting conversation. But there's no way to know that, so right now I'm leaning toward just killing her. 

For Adaryc... Yeah, I think I'll settle things peacefully. This character's good in a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to fight everyone. For instance, I opted to resolve the Lillith quest peacefully since once you do that, she's relatively harmless. Plus you get a nice hull upgrade for it. 

You're right. The way I'm setting him up now, he'd only do something like that with an actively mutinous companion. The way I see it, he does genuinely care about his crew, and does his best to make sure they're treated well... but he's the captain, and his authority should be respected. Sort of an "I value your input, but this is my ship and the final call is mine" type of deal. 

Not sure you wanted it spoiled or not. but:

It doesn't. Falenroed either attains her seat irrespective of possession, or more likely, had it even before her first appearance

Pretty strange that Furrante of all people comments on finally meeting a dragonslayer. 

• Like 1

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

It doesn't. Falenroed either attains her seat irrespective of possession, or more likely, had it even before her first appearance

Pretty strange that Furrante of all people comments on finally meeting a dragonslayer. 

Yeah, it's funny. For me, he always defaults to "It's not everyone who can make an ally of the Doemenels and make it out alive." Which, considering I've also killed two archmages, seems much less impressive. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it's funny. For me, he always defaults to "It's not everyone who can make an ally of the Doemenels and make it out alive." Which, considering I've also killed two archmages, seems much less impressive.

Well the Doemenels are essentially a mafia family, so it stands to reason that their allies are always in a tentative position provided they lack the ability to massacare the entire family.

They're still not as bad as say three dragons, ancient fampyrs, a couple death knights, scores of bandits, and two archemages.

Notably, he can be both incredibly generous with his crew - making sure each of them gets their fair share of rations and spoils - and also incredibly strict - Whenever someone attempted to undermine him, he was prone to severe and exceptionally decisive punishments. However, he also has a bit of a softer side in regards to things like children and family.

That is touching. ;(  We need more decent people like that in the Deadfire. It's important to care about children and family. :thumbsup:

Hollowborn Crisis: 

- Returned the souls to the Wheel. I'm really not sure what the most suitable choice here is, because to be quite honest, the main story doesn't really leave a lot of room for playing a criminal. I suppose I could devote the souls to Woedica - the 'evil' option - but I don't really get anything from doing that. Thoughts?

- Supported the Doemenels. Or, alternatively, made enemies of all three factions. Not sure what that gives you outside of Furrante dialogue though. 

- Devil of Caroc spared Harmke. This is purely to have access to her Breastplate. Narratively, it makes more sense for this character to let her have her revenge, but I can just spin it as him promising to hunt Harmke down later, without any witnesses, and him slipping away before he could make good on that promise.

White March

Almost exactly what I did for my Principi supporting character. The differences were that I supported the Dozens (simply because I had supported the Doemenels in a previous playthrough), killed Adaryc and Harmke and I spared one of Concelhaut's apprentices. It might be a good idea to spare people or aim for the breastplate if you are not sure you'll play Deadfire another time. Otherwise, just do what feels right for your character in the moment.

I was satisfied with my choices' reaction in Deadfire and I think your choices will be good too.

Twin Elms

Mandatory. This is the reason I'll use the legacy editor on every other pt I ever do. The only character I had that ended up with Vela is the one I'm playing now and I want to have her with the others if I ever play with them.

sign.jpg

Notably, he can be both incredibly generous with his crew - making sure each of them gets their fair share of rations and spoils - and also incredibly strict - Whenever someone attempted to undermine him, he was prone to severe and exceptionally decisive punishments. However, he also has a bit of a softer side in regards to things like children and family.

That is touching. ;(  We need more decent people like that in the Deadfire. It's important to care about children and family. :thumbsup:

Hollowborn Crisis: 

White March

Almost exactly what I did for my Principi supporting character. The differences were that I supported the Dozens (simply because I had supported the Doemenels in a previous playthrough), killed Adaryc and Harmke and I spared one of Concelhaut's apprentices. It might be a good idea to spare people or aim for the breastplate if you are not sure you'll play Deadfire another time. Otherwise, just do what feels right for your character in the moment.

I was satisfied with my choices' reaction in Deadfire and I think your choices will be good too.

Twin Elms

Mandatory. This is the reason I'll use the legacy editor on every other pt I ever do. The only character I had that ended up with Vela is the one I'm playing now and I want to have her with the others if I ever play with them.

Yeah. I just wish Vela had more interactivity, considering you're basically her father/mother at this point. 

I like having the Breastplate because it's a really good item for mixed melee characters. I'm not sure where the dialogue tree goes if you do decide to spare him - whether or not there's a reaction to tell the Devil "Hey, we'll deal with this later." 

I might want to look into modding the Breastplate into the game regardless of choice - Maybe altering the flavor text a bit so that it reflects the "good" ending for the Devil (Since someone else mentioned she winds up in the sea regardless). 

As far as Adaryc goes... I have seen his dialogue on other playthroughs and it didn't add a whole lot. So I might just go with killing him, but it'll be a sort of melancholy thing. 

How'd your Principi character end up handling Llengrath? 

Yeah. I just wish Vela had more interactivity, considering you're basically her father/mother at this point. 

I like having the Breastplate because it's a really good item for mixed melee characters. I'm not sure where the dialogue tree goes if you do decide to spare him - whether or not there's a reaction to tell the Devil "Hey, we'll deal with this later." 

I might want to look into modding the Breastplate into the game regardless of choice - Maybe altering the flavor text a bit so that it reflects the "good" ending for the Devil (Since someone else mentioned she winds up in the sea regardless). 

As far as Adaryc goes... I have seen his dialogue on other playthroughs and it didn't add a whole lot. So I might just go with killing him, but it'll be a sort of melancholy thing. 

Yes, there has been plenty of discussion about Vela. Maybe they'll add some lines later.

Dealing with Harmke later is a very good reasoning. You can always pretend it didn't work out after the game ended.

I had murdered Adaryc's men and still convinced him to make an alliance when I played as a Bleak Walker (and I did the same with the ogres). I guess people do respect a strong Bleak Walker. And my good character used stealth. So when I played with my pirate I decided to murder everyone and imagined that the character wouldn't have the patience necessary to talk Adaryc into an alliance. That's why I killed him.

I don't remember how exactly it happened, but I think my character didn't have patience with Llengrath either. And she was not very good with diplomacy...

sign.jpg

Yes, there has been plenty of discussion about Vela. Maybe they'll add some lines later.

Dealing with Harmke later is a very good reasoning. You can always pretend it didn't work out after the game ended.

I had murdered Adaryc's men and still convinced him to make an alliance when I played as a Bleak Walker (and I did the same with the ogres). I guess people do respect a strong Bleak Walker. And my good character used stealth. So when I played with my pirate I decided to murder everyone and imagined that the character wouldn't have the patience necessary to talk Adaryc into an alliance. That's why I killed him.

I don't remember how exactly it happened, but I think my character didn't have patience with Llengrath either. And she was not very good with diplomacy...

I mean, she pretty much starts out being fully prepared to kill you, and you have to essentially convince her not to. Llengrath has no chill. I do like that each of the Dragon encounters are a little different. The two Bog Dragons are essentially punk kids who're all about gaining power and basically making the swamp their home for the next thousand years. The Adra Dragon is tragic, in that she's trapped in the Endless Paths, but she's still incredibly arrogant and haughty. Meanwhile, the Sky Dragon just wants to raise her baby in peace after all of her other children were killed - that's why my character would have more of a reason to let her be. 

Yeah, someone else talked about how it makes sense for the Watcher not to want to kill a bunch of people who had literally nothing to do with the situation, if only to avoid unnecessary conflict with the people of Stalwart. 

• Like 1

I mean, she pretty much starts out being fully prepared to kill you, and you have to essentially convince her not to. Llengrath has no chill. I do like that each of the Dragon encounters are a little different. The two Bog Dragons are essentially punk kids who're all about gaining power and basically making the swamp their home for the next thousand years. The Adra Dragon is tragic, in that she's trapped in the Endless Paths, but she's still incredibly arrogant and haughty. Meanwhile, the Sky Dragon just wants to raise her baby in peace after all of her other children were killed - that's why my character would have more of a reason to let her be.

When I replayed with my first character to do the White March, I was surprised with the ending slide that showed that I didn't kill the sky dragon. I thought I had forced things so that I wouldn't miss a fight, but I probably did it and then reloaded to act as a benevolent character should.

These encounters were interesting because you had more options than simply fighting and getting a treasure.

sign.jpg

When I replayed with my first character to do the White March, I was surprised with the ending slide that showed that I didn't kill the sky dragon. I thought I had forced things so that I wouldn't miss a fight, but I probably did it and then reloaded to act as a benevolent character should.

These encounters were interesting because you had more options than simply fighting and getting a treasure.

Yeah. 

I also made a request of the mod-request guys to provide a slightly tweaked DoC Breastplate if you take the option to kill Harmke, that reflects her whole "Finding peace" ending, because... I don't know. I just really feel guilty about her winding up as a serial killer. And the fact that she lost her parents and home when she was a child because Cold Morn... Dared to not want to be razed to the ground by the Readcerans would have sparked some sympathy from this particular Watcher.