I'm still finishing Deadfire but I decided that after that I'll try to get the Ultimate achievement in PoE1 and I remembered seeing this build that looked interesting. I wonder if it is still viable or if something was nerfed in the latest patches.

Basically it's a monk with Ryona's Breastplate and the Steadfast Sword, relying on the +20 accuracy and defense (when fighting against dragons) caused by the critical hits of the fear aura. And the sword will give you immunity to fear.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/291650/discussions/0/144512875331853257/

I'm checking the Monksterlasher too, but I don't know if anyone used it for the Ultimate. There are notes for soloing in that built, which is very useful.

I saw other builds with rogues or ciphers, but they look more difficult for the Ultimate. Am I right?

The author of this build suggests running to the White March to level up fast and then do the bounties and dragons. I plan on playing the game once on easy just to remember what is the mandatory path and then try this or another build without trial of iron, so that I can test it and reload if necessary. After that I will go for the Ultimate.

Thanks for any help.

sign.jpg

Reading through, the person who posted it didn’t even succeed given he talks about quitting and reloading.

Conceptually it is sound, essentially a max Fortitude build which works well for ToI. Seems to have a heavy reliance on equipment and to proc effects from being critted, which is not always a great idea.

Generally a monk is a strong class and if you go with fortitude (MIG and CON) build + good use of talents and equipment you have a good chance. Personally I would stick with fists, Lightning Strikes, Torment’s Reach, and Long Pain at level 7. Wear heavy armour and rely on the dual fists + lightning strikes for attack speed.

• Like 1

Yes, people were questioning the person. If this build requires quitting the game constantly to preserve the save, then it's really bad.

I'm checking other builds but I think I'll stick to monk and try to make something inspired by this and the Monksterlasher.

And your suggestion too. Thanks for answering!

sign.jpg

For solo ultimate the easiest is the paladin because he can get his defenses high enough to ignore most enemies and the tactics don't change very much. The chanter is good also because his summons can be exploited rather easily (but they won't work in some hard fights).

However even the best build isn't death proof and you can die rather easily. People who did the ultimate solo had lots of attempts, perfect knowledge of the game (finished the game multiple times before) and used a normal save at the same time to rehearse the tactics for each fight...

For solo ultimate the easiest is the paladin because he can get his defenses high enough to ignore most enemies and the tactics don't change very much. The chanter is good also because his summons can be exploited rather easily (but they won't work in some hard fights).

However even the best build isn't death proof and you can die rather easily. People who did the ultimate solo had lots of attempts, perfect knowledge of the game (finished the game multiple times before) and used a normal save at the same time to rehearse the tactics for each fight...

I'll check some Paladin builds. But I'm not interested in trying a chanter. I had a tank chanter on my PotD pt and she suffered a lot. Imagine solo...

Using a normal save at the same time is a great idea! Why didn't I think about that? :facepalm:

I finished the game three times and the last one became really easy. But I wouldn't say I have a perfect knowledge of the game. If I rush like that steam build suggests, it'll probably not take too long, so I can try different builds and keep the parallel save when I try for real.

Thanks for the tips.

sign.jpg

Chanter is easier than Paladin IMO. Paladin has better defence but Chanter has much better offence and gets its gamechanging ability at level 9 rather than 13, which is a big difference.

Chanter tank needs DEF and FOR built up to survive. You don’t need high RES (but don’t dump it, keeping around 10 is good) but weapon & shield style is a must. Use large shield until level 9, don’t worry about ACC yet since your Phantom summon + a little softening up with Soft Winds is what kills everything. You also don’t need to bother attacking with your weapon, use combat time to use scrolls and drink potions just to survive and build your defence. All you need is time, it’s not like a Cipher where you need to build focus. For a Chanter, survival = offence, since every second that passes is more AoE damage + closer to summoning.

Once you get to level 9, swap to a smaller shield since you now want good accuracy but otherwise strategy is similar. Just survive and let Dragon Thrashed do its work. You usually don’t even need to summon anymore, though you can call the ogres if fight lasts long enough.

With a Paladin you will have to swing the weapon and hope you can do enough damage to take down opponents. Survival alone is not enough, you need to be good with your weapon too and hope FoDs are enough for burst damage (or use spell scrolls). It’s only from level 13 that you get into easy mode with Sacred Immolation. Even then, I still prefer Dragon Thrashed since it is an unlimited resource rather than 1/encounter.

• Like 1

Personally, I monk and wizard the most for soloing. The monk is beefy, has good defenses, and his offense is great right from the beginning (torment's reach is so devastating). The wizard is probably the most versatile class and has an answer to all the problems. But that is just my personal taste. I don't like it when fights take too long, which is the case with paladin and chanter (before Lvl 9), in my opinion.

• Like 1

Chanter is easier than Paladin IMO. Paladin has better defence but Chanter has much better offence and gets its gamechanging ability at level 9 rather than 13, which is a big difference.

Chanter tank needs DEF and FOR built up to survive. You don’t need high RES (but don’t dump it, keeping around 10 is good) but weapon & shield style is a must. Use large shield until level 9, don’t worry about ACC yet since your Phantom summon + a little softening up with Soft Winds is what kills everything. You also don’t need to bother attacking with your weapon, use combat time to use scrolls and drink potions just to survive and build your defence. All you need is time, it’s not like a Cipher where you need to build focus. For a Chanter, survival = offence, since every second that passes is more AoE damage + closer to summoning.

Once you get to level 9, swap to a smaller shield since you now want good accuracy but otherwise strategy is similar. Just survive and let Dragon Thrashed do its work. You usually don’t even need to summon anymore, though you can call the ogres if fight lasts long enough.

With a Paladin you will have to swing the weapon and hope you can do enough damage to take down opponents. Survival alone is not enough, you need to be good with your weapon too and hope FoDs are enough for burst damage (or use spell scrolls). It’s only from level 13 that you get into easy mode with Sacred Immolation. Even then, I still prefer Dragon Thrashed since it is an unlimited resource rather than 1/encounter.

Ok, you convinced me to try a chanter build too. I think I'll do some tests before going for trial of iron.

Personally, I monk and wizard the most for soloing. The monk is beefy, has good defenses, and his offense is great right from the beginning (torment's reach is so devastating). The wizard is probably the most versatile class and has an answer to all the problems. But that is just my personal taste. I don't like it when fights take too long, which is the case with paladin and chanter (before Lvl 9), in my opinion.

Wizard is one of my favorite classes, but I think that for solo I'd rather try one of the others.

sign.jpg