I've been wondering how to build Aloth in Deadfire.  From what I understand, wizards are a class that DOES have strong benefits for staying single-class, namely some VERY powerful spells in the top tiers.  On the other hand, multiclassing is pretty darn fun, and some companions can become quite powerful when they multiclass, as Pallegina and Tekehu demonstrate in the excellently written Tuono e Fulmine and Tāwhirimātea, The God of Storms builds (P.S. You're awesome Ascaloth!).

So...what about Aloth?  Is it better to keep Aloth as a single-class wizard?  Or would it be better to convert him to a Battlemage (multiclassing him with Fighter) or Spellblade (multiclassing him with Rogue), and if so which of the two multiclasses is better?

Edited by jtbehnke
  • Like 1

Spellblade Aloth is a lot of fun. Not too hard to make Riposte do the heavy lifting.

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Thanks.  :grin:

Aloth is a rather vanilla Wood Elf with vanilla class choices, so either of the three choices would work just as well provided you know what you're doing. If you're planning to keep Aloth focused on the spellcasting, then yes, keeping him a pure Wizard is the way to go.

For a Battlemage Aloth, I actually have a proven build on hand which I'd codenamed Nine-Tailed Fox, on account of being specialized in Burn damage and Illusion spells. I simply haven't bothered to post it up on these forums because Aloth is just too vanilla; unlike Pallegina or Tekehu, he doesn't offer anything special that a custom hireling can't replicate, even execute more effectively than he himself can manage. That said, I can post it up here on this thread or in its own, if you really want me to.  ;)

As for a Spellblade Aloth, I'm running one in my current playthrough at the moment. That said, I've yet to figure out an effective synergy for him so far, so I'm afraid I'm no help here, at least for now.  :sweat:

• Like 1

My Aloth is nearly always a Spellblade because of Infuse + Spirit Lance + Arterial/Gouging/Toxic Strikes - which is so much fun. Spirit Lance with Riposte is great as well: AoE Riposte.

Good alternatives are Watershaper's Focus (+Ondra's Wrath) or dual mortars or Minor Blights + mortar.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Aloth in my game right now is single classed, his main role being to cast spells (wizard). For my second

playthrough, I'm not sure if I want to multiclass him as a spellblade or battlemage yet.. choices, choices.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

I've been having a lot of fun with Spellblade Aloth. All you need is mirror images and he can be a very effective deflection tank with just the martial masteries grimoire equipped. Then switch out a Disruption grimoire and he's a perfectly effective caster counter, too. You don't really need the top-end Wizard powers; they;re nice but also a bit gratuitous.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 1

One question I had actually was whether or not you could get higher defensive values with a Battlemage Aloth than with a Spellblade Aloth. It seems like you *should* be able to but a lot of the fighter active abilities -- vigorous defense, conqueror stance, etc. -- may not stack with Mirror Images, Llengrath's Displaced Image, etc.

One question I had actually was whether or not you could get higher defensive values with a Battlemage Aloth than with a Spellblade Aloth. It seems like you *should* be able to but a lot of the fighter active abilities -- vigorous defense, conqueror stance, etc. -- may not stack with Mirror Images, Llengrath's Displaced Image, etc.

Of those, Vigorous Defense does stack specifically with Mirror Image.  I did not test with Displaced Image.  A Battlemage or a Swashbuckler (Trickster) can hit some wild deflection values.

Vigorous Defense stacks with all buffs that only address a single or two defenses seperately - like Mirrored Image, Wizard's Double and Llengrath's Displaced Image. It doesn't stack with Llengrath's Safeguard (the defense buff, the +AR works). Because Llengrath's Safeguard works like Vigorous Defense. Same stacking group as Circle of Defense (Priest).

Refreshing Defense will spare you a spell use and can last a long time. So I find this a rather pleasant combo with Wizard's deflection buffs.

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 4 weeks later...