I am deep in the throes of alt-itis and am struggling to pick a melee class to stick with. Hopefully y’all can steer me straight.

I’m debating between a berserker/streetfighter and a wayfarer/streetfighter. Paladin defenses and fod seems like an ideal assist to a melee streetfighter, but I’m worried I’ll lose out on too much damage vs barbarian, and that rogue wont have enough resources/offensive abilities to pick Up the offensive slack. I’d appreciate any thoughts

Holy slayers is great dmg, rogue on their own have enough dmg modifiers so ur better off with the Paladins lashes imo, u will have more active attacks per encounter on a holy slayer because FoD costs only 1 Zeal and is a full attack with a lash + in ur case a heal.

Edited by Dorftek

The difficulty you are playing on will make a huge difference. Also how much experience have you had?

If not playing POTD then both options will work no problem.

If playing POTD and you have little experience the beserker / streetfighter will be incredibly difficult for you to manage. It will be very squishy and the beserker sub kit looks good on paper but when you put it into practice you may not want all the headaches that come with it.

If you are new to the game I would strongly advise not to roll a beserker multiclass

For a solo run, I’d go for Holy Slayer, since you really want the tankiness. If you’re playing with a party, either is fine.

I wouldn’t worry about the Holy Slayer not being offensive enough, though. As Dorftek said, the Holy Slayer is still pretty amazing for single target DPS, with unlimited Sworn Enemy and Persistent Distraction for free Deathblows you’re already doing very well. Add active abilities like Flames of Devotion and Crippling Strike, and then Streetfighter passives on top of that, and you can really mow things down.

It also depends on your party composition. If you have a priest you can keep the Berseker alive pretty easily. Later Savage Defiance helps as well. Priest can also cast Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time onto your Berserker/Streetfighter and he will deal tremendous damage when flanked and bloodied with Barbaric Blow (big crit conversion, Sneak Attack + Deathblows with Persistent Distraction, +150% crit damage).

Note that the self damage of Berserker gets worse with Power Level and high MIG. A ring named Voidward can be used to reduce the self damage.

Thick thick armor helps the Berserker to stay alive. Since he can get Frenzy + Bloodlust + Blood Thirst and also Heating Up (50% recovery speedup from Streetfighter) and you most likely will use dual weapons (another 30% & 15%) the armor penalty will not hurt that much.

Generally speaking the Holy Slayer is adier to play while the Marauder does more damage but goes down more quickly.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I feel your pain. For me, I've been looking at which classes have best synergy with different weapons. For instance...

Berserker/Fighter has great synergy with Lord Darryn's Voulge. Carnage spreads Static Thunder around, which can make for some pretty good blasts. Plus Devoted gives great penetration.

Modwyr, or other weapons with fire lashes, work great with Paladin. Magran's Favor especially.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback - I’m playing veteran with a party, so yeah, big picture they both work. I dabbled in potd in poe1, but didn’t love it. Too much time needed buffing for trash fights for me. Sounds like I’ll probably go with the marauder and just make sure I keep an eye on bloodied so I don’t kill myself. I like escaping to get to the squishies, and which seems better suited to the barb

I feel your pain. For me, I've been looking at which classes have best synergy with different weapons. For instance...

Berserker/Fighter has great synergy with Lord Darryn's Voulge. Carnage spreads Static Thunder around, which can make for some pretty good blasts. Plus Devoted gives great penetration.

Modwyr, or other weapons with fire lashes, work great with Paladin. Magran's Favor especially.

I actually thought this was one of your threads. Which isn't a bad thing since you do offer inspiration and we do need more RP themed builds in this section.

Anyways, I'd recommend Holy Slayer, mostly because I always love Paladins that aren't bound to be Lawful Good, and because Holy Slayer is actually quite useful. You can teleport around with Escape, you get access to a Blind, and I haven't really gotten too high level with my HS yet so thats all I know.

I just need to work out a good script for the AI.

Thanks for the feedback - I’m playing veteran with a party, so yeah, big picture they both work. I dabbled in potd in poe1, but didn’t love it. Too much time needed buffing for trash fights for me. Sounds like I’ll probably go with the marauder and just make sure I keep an eye on bloodied so I don’t kill myself. I like escaping to get to the squishies, and which seems better suited to the barb

That's definitely a good way to go about it. Thankfully, Barbarian has Blooded, which shows up when you get Bloodied. Human has Fighting Spirit, and then Godlike has their racial passives as well. 

Also, a lot of the difficulty in PotD is frontloaded on Port Maje. Once you get out into the world, there's enough items you can sneak to/steal that it's not too hard to get pretty well-equipped. 

Nemnok's Cloak is a great item for a Marauder. It gives Spirit Shield at 75%, Ironskin at 50% (Overwrites Spirit Shield and, probably, the +2 Armor from the Constitution inspiration), and Barring Death's Door at 25% (Not sure if it scales off of your intellect duration-wise). +5 Armor on top of the heavier armor you'll already be wearing for a build like this definitely helps. 

Here's a video showing a method of acquiring it early - 

(Though it does require playing solo and pumping Stealth. Not sure how high their Stealth was in this video. 

I actually thought this was one of your threads. Which isn't a bad thing since you do offer inspiration and we do need more RP themed builds in this section.

Anyways, I'd recommend Holy Slayer, mostly because I always love Paladins that aren't bound to be Lawful Good, and because Holy Slayer is actually quite useful. You can teleport around with Escape, you get access to a Blind, and I haven't really gotten too high level with my HS yet so thats all I know.

Haha, thank you! I feel like I've made a thread for quite a few different multiclasses, or at least trying to decide between different ones. I'm wanting to try out different roleplaying concepts too, but unfortunately there's only so many character archetypes you can play in this game, compared to something like Skyrim. I wish there was a way to sort of... disable the main quest and allow for more of a free-roaming make-your-own adventure story, with Ukaizo as the prize. But that'd require an extreme bit of modding. 

The Holy Slayer area blind can be upgraded to apply a 40% damage vulnerability on enemies - this applies to your whole party. Couple that with Brand Enemy, and that's a pretty hefty damage boost right there, even if you don't go Streetfighter. Trickster + Riposte is a great way to play Holy Slayer, since you'll be in the thick of things, but Streetfighter by itself definitely brings on the hurt. 

Streetfighter, on its own, offers a 160% damage boost against Sneak Attack vulnerable targets while Flanked or Bloodied, and insane Crit damage when both conditions are met. So, any class you pair with it is going to get that on top of everything else the class already offers. Swashbuckler, Holy Slayer, Marauder, Shadowdancer (Though Shattered Pillar Monks have been nerfed some), and really any other kind of mixed melee class you can think of are wonderful choices. 

• Like 1

Does scion of flame affect flame lashes? I assume not and it’s just abilities, but would definitely be cool if it did

It doesn't. It does affect Flames of Devotion though, and the new helm from the DLC adds +10 accuracy to Bleak Walker's FoD. So does the Ring of Focused Fire. That's +20 Accuracy right there, which is a really nice boost to your crit chance, especially factoring in -10 Deflection from Persistent Distraction. 

That's definitely a good way to go about it. Thankfully, Barbarian has Blooded, which shows up when you get Bloodied. Human has Fighting Spirit, and then Godlike has their racial passives as well. 

Also, a lot of the difficulty in PotD is frontloaded on Port Maje. Once you get out into the world, there's enough items you can sneak to/steal that it's not too hard to get pretty well-equipped. 

Nemnok's Cloak is a great item for a Marauder. It gives Spirit Shield at 75%, Ironskin at 50% (Overwrites Spirit Shield and, probably, the +2 Armor from the Constitution inspiration), and Barring Death's Door at 25% (Not sure if it scales off of your intellect duration-wise). +5 Armor on top of the heavier armor you'll already be wearing for a build like this definitely helps. 

Here's a video showing a method of acquiring it early - 

(Though it does require playing solo and pumping Stealth. Not sure how high their Stealth was in this video. 

Haha, thank you! I feel like I've made a thread for quite a few different multiclasses, or at least trying to decide between different ones. I'm wanting to try out different roleplaying concepts too, but unfortunately there's only so many character archetypes you can play in this game, compared to something like Skyrim. I wish there was a way to sort of... disable the main quest and allow for more of a free-roaming make-your-own adventure story, with Ukaizo as the prize. But that'd require an extreme bit of modding. 

The Holy Slayer area blind can be upgraded to apply a 40% damage vulnerability on enemies - this applies to your whole party. Couple that with Brand Enemy, and that's a pretty hefty damage boost right there, even if you don't go Streetfighter. Trickster + Riposte is a great way to play Holy Slayer, since you'll be in the thick of things, but Streetfighter by itself definitely brings on the hurt. 

Streetfighter, on its own, offers a 160% damage boost against Sneak Attack vulnerable targets while Flanked or Bloodied, and insane Crit damage when both conditions are met. So, any class you pair with it is going to get that on top of everything else the class already offers. Swashbuckler, Holy Slayer, Marauder, Shadowdancer (Though Shattered Pillar Monks have been nerfed some), and really any other kind of mixed melee class you can think of are wonderful choices. 

She has Stealth 3 @ level 15. By that time I have Stealth around 18-20 on Marauder and she can walk around enemies unnoticed all the time. For solo, I would definitely go high Stealth at first as it allows very useful shenanigans, and respec later. 

Edited by knownastherat