Music Listening & Sharing

Blarghagh

On my part, I'm a fan of prog though Yes, Rush and Supertramp are not amidst my favorite acts (I do enjoy me some Crime of the Century and Close to the Edge however). I do enjoy plenty of Genesis, King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, and several offshoots and small scenes of the genre as well like the Canterbury scene, Italian prog, Zeuhl, Rock in opposition (RIO for short), Krautrock, etc. Usually the more experimental and out there, the better. Some random favorites...

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

So I realized that I can now watch all those fancy 8k YouTube videos in actual "8k" quality. My old rig could barely play them in 4k, it'd be half slide-show. They sure are gorgeous when you can play them like that on a bigger screen.

I'm posting this here because I liked the mellow music in it enough to keep it looping for an hour. :p

Edit: oh, even better. *loop*

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Asian-"Pop" (usually more like Pop-Rap seems like) is so weird for me. Most of those groups will have a song or two that I like a lot just as rowdy/pop background/workout noise, if that makes sense, but then if I bother to check further, I won't like any other song at all. But those lone singles I like keep me looking for others because I can never have enough background noise music (from all genres/for all moods).

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My friend and i went and saw Tim Minchin live last weekend. Probably not a lot of people outside Australia know him, but he's a composer,songwriter, musician and singer. His satire is particularly pointed and most of the songs, I wouldn't be able to post here (too much profanity).

Besides the classics, like "Come Home Cardinal Pell" (a song from Satan to George Pell telling him he's missed at home... in hell), the Pope Song (about the mother****ing pope and his ****ing organisation covering over all the kiddie ****ers) and "**** the Poor" about the hypocrisy of many wealthy people, there was also this little gem about language and how words can be used to categorize and oppress people:

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 4/18/2019 at 6:11 AM, algroth said:

If it's gotta be one jazz track per year, Charles Mingus is always a great choice. :) I have a totally unfounded suspicion you might enjoy Neil Ardley's A Symphony of Amaranths.

Could be wrong of course, but have a listen anyway and let me know your thoughts.

didn't notice 'til today. apologies.

took us 'til second poem to realize the lyrics were actual poems-- somehow the yeats poem sounds so much different in our head that we didn't recognize... which were a nice revelation actual.  still, kinda embarrassing to not make the connection 'til halfway through joyce we weren't hearing original lyrics but well-known poems set to music, albeit jazz.

am thinking we enjoyed the lewis carroll portion most.   

will likely to disappoint, but it would appear the best way to have Gromnir enjoy jazz is to include in animation

that's two for the year. show in the win or loss column?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Since it's been a year or two since I last tried to get people to appreciate Tripod (which... failed spectacularily) I'll just (re)post this. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 4/21/2019 at 12:42 PM, Gorth said:

My friend and i went and saw Tim Minchin live last weekend. Probably not a lot of people outside Australia know him, but he's a composer,songwriter, musician and singer. His satire is particularly pointed and most of the songs, I wouldn't be able to post here (too much profanity).

Besides the classics, like "Come Home Cardinal Pell" (a song from Satan to George Pell telling him he's missed at home... in hell), the Pope Song (about the mother****ing pope and his ****ing organisation covering over all the kiddie ****ers) and "**** the Poor" about the hypocrisy of many wealthy people, there was also this little gem about language and how words can be used to categorize and oppress people:

I cannot even begin to describe the jealousy I feel, I love Tim ❤️

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I was in a bit of a nostalgic mood today. Listened to some old hard rock tracks from the 80's

If I ever were to end up stranded up on a remote island with a nuclear powered iPod, I guess this is the song I would prefer to be on it:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra