Music Listening & Sharing

Blarghagh

I should probably hate Canada for inflicting Nickelback and Justin Bieber on the world, but then I just listen to Rush again and all is forgiven.

The lesson here; you can erase all the bad will from inflicting numerous terrible artists on the world with just a single OH MY ****ING GOD THESE GUYS ARE AMAZING artist.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I should probably hate Canada for inflicting Nickelback and Justin Bieber on the world, but then I just listen to Rush again and all is forgiven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OMibr8CqQ4

The lesson here; you can erase all the bad will from inflicting numerous terrible artists on the world with just a single OH MY ****ING GOD THESE GUYS ARE AMAZING artist.

Rush's only good song is YYZ :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Rush's only good song is YYZ :p

Dem's fightin' words!  :bat:

If it's Geddy Lee's vocals that put you off, Rush has a lot more AMAZING instrumentals besides YYZ (which is AMAZEBALLS BTW).  Here's 3 nerdy as **** Canadians playing La Villa Strangiato for your listening pleasure:

You know, I never got all the hate Rush got back in the day because I didn't start listening to them because of the great, but nevertheless overplayed as ****, radio hits such as Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, etc., I got into Rush because of their mid 70s Prog epics which you never hear on the radio because 10 to 20 minute long songs don't fit radio format.  Also, 70's Neil Peart had a super manly mustache.  How can you hate a man with a mustache that manly?

np1970s-1a.jpg

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I don't hate Rush, but I'm not much of a fan either. I'm a fan of prog and some 70s hard rock, but as a combination of both I always felt them very creaky, like they managed to both bastardize prog and neuter hard rock in the act. As a prog band they're never particularly adventurous and don't have a particularly evocative sound, while their overreliance on subpar hard rock licks and riffs and hooks gave them something of an AOR/kitsch factor to their music (not to mention their atrocious lyrics, but hey, they hardly were alone on that front regarding prog); meanwhile as a hard rock band they've always sounded too thin and tinny to my ears, they feel very powerless. But they do have some enjoyable moments in albums like A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, and I do think they made up for most of their shortcomings as a hard rock band in a live setting. But yeah, can't say I've felt the need to listen to them in fifteen years.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Being in Canda, Canadian content rules means that not only does the classic rock station play the same Zeppelin songs over and over, they also have to play lots of Rush.  So it's an acquired dislike.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now I have this picture in my mind of Canada as a totalitarian state where all citizens are mandated to listen to a certain amount of Rush per day.  I'm picturing police officers in Judge Dredd-esque armor breaking into suspected non-listeners' homes blasting Rush's Freewill (for irony purposes).  :lol:

It could be worse, you could be forced to listen to Celine Dion.  :shifty:

On a serious note, one of the benefits of driving a truck for a living, especially now that I'm driving solo, is having full control of the music I listen to, which comes down to whichever of the 14 different Pandora stations I made I'm in the mood for.  In previous jobs any music I got to listen to often came down to radio stations playing the same 6 popular flavor of the month songs over and over again.  The amount of Cardi B and DJ Khaled I was subjected to back then...

/shudders

Those were dark times.  >_<

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLsrkuUNT6s

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Here to spam you all with more Sun Ra.  This particular track is the answer to the question "What does an experimental jazz icon do when he first gets access to one of the first commercial synths that came with cheesy pre-programmed beats?"

• Like 2

Sun Ra came to this world from Saturn and left it a better place. This remains one of my favorites of his, insane stuff:

Also, spamming my own personal favorite in return, here's a band that could combine Sun Ra's spritual/sci-fi delirium with Can's hypnotic groove into one weird, funky and transcendent jam:

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

Worthy of 85million views and imo actually deserves a lot more than that.

...which led me to wondering what the most viewed videos were on YouTube. With over 5.5 billion views, apparently this was #1 (a bit ago and maybe still) and the article that made the list said it was a huge 2017 hit all over the world. No surprise, I'd never heard it myself. :p ... I suppose it's dance-catchy. Not really my style tho. But I do like the reminder that language is no barrier for music. I definitely have lots of tunes I like where I can't understand a word.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My theory is that Sun Ra is a being from a parallel universe that crossed over into ours. Syd Barrett briefly crossed over into Sun Ra's universe after he did ALL THE DRUGS and afterword he tried to tell our world of the parallel universe but lacked the language to communicate it, plus the experience broke his brain.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

My theory is that Sun Ra is a being from a parallel universe that crossed over into ours. Syd Barrett briefly crossed over into Sun Ra's universe after he did ALL THE DRUGS and afterword he tried to tell our world of the parallel universe but lacked the language to communicate it, plus the experience broke his brain.

Well, he did claim he was from Saturn...

Rewatched this on the weekend.  Not a bad series, overall and the soundtrack is nice even if Kawaii does re-use elements a lot

Narf!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...