RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

The Diablo Immortal reveal was poorly handled.

That said, all the childish outrage and angst makes me want to go ahead and buy Diablo III. If people are this upset about not getting what they want, I kind of want to see what I'm missing. But I keep remembering that I hate loot fests and grinding.

Edit: I recall seeing some trailer where a IV turned into an M. Was that not Diablo Immortal? This is going to bother me all day.

It's funny, at least.  Right now they are crowing about ATVI's stock price being down 6% so far today. :)

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, there's indeed some funny stuff emerging from this outcry, no doubt about it - the gems among those are at least some small mercies after Blizzard's cold "slap in the face". :p

P.S. My favourite thing was red shirt guy #2 and his "Is this an out of season April's Fool joke?":

[Youtube]

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I stopped caring about Blizzard and their IPs roughly a decade ago, but I do enjoy me some good outrage and scahenfreude, so I'm like:

0hQyd5L.gif

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I think I lucked out by skipping D3 until the expansion came out - everyone seems to hate the game, but my experience was fine. Not exceptional, but I got enough fun out of it to justify it.

Same for SC2, which had a terrible story but other than that was a great game and I still play the odd co-op map which is by far the most fun I've had in a Blizzard RTS ever and I've been along for the ride since Orcs & Humans. Hell even WoW, Legion was fantastic. BFA's kinda **** so far though, hoping they can turn it around.

Blizz disappointed me before this, but it was never because they weren't trying. Even Warlords of Draenor, their only real dumpster fire, had some great stuff in it (raids and dungeons that expac were the best the game's seen IMO). But between this Diablo announcement and them caving to vanilla fanboys... now I'm not so sure.

I don't hate D3. It just didn't capture me at all. I've played through it and then saw no point in it anymore. The way the loot worked, etc. made it so there was no reason to keep playing. Heard they changed / fixed this years later, but now it's too late for me.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yep, vanilla burned a lot of people.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, I wonder if they'll add a Co-op mode to WarCraft 3 Reforged?

*hype level suddenly intensifies*

I just want to know how they're handling the cinematics. They remade a trailer for it. Will they remake the rest?

My hype will go overdrive if they do anything to clean them up and uprez them.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hm, I wonder if they'll add a Co-op mode to WarCraft 3 Reforged?

*hype level suddenly intensifies*

I just want to know how they're handling the cinematics. They re-rendered a trailer for it. Will they rerender the rest?

My hype will go overdrive if they do.

I am not sure but I think old cinematics stands on their own even today in my opinion

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

They're decent, but it feels like watching a VHS tape nowadays. I'd like them cleaned up a bit at a minimum.

Here, found the real reason for the audience reaction at Blizzcon. Why... toxic masculinity of course.

https://twitter.com/WillJPowers/status/1058446033724694528

:wub:

what else

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Here, found the real reason for the audience reaction at Blizzcon. Why... toxic masculinity of course.

https://twitter.com/WillJPowers/status/1058446033724694528

:wub:

Hah, so that's why they're whining about that in r/diablo. Thought it was the usual strawman persecutors. Well, sort of is.

Should have just gone with "loud ****", that always applies to Blizzard fanbases :lol:

Edited by Malcador

• Like 3

To be honest, I don't even want a Diablo 4. :D The experience with Diablo 3 left me so cold, I still feel completely out-diablo'd.

I want Diablo 4 for but from Blizzard North :(. Not that cartoon crap Blizz WoW team produced
Usually I love cartoony/bright colored personality in games but I agree, it does NOT fit Diablo's atmosphere. If I want the cel-shaded arpg I think Torchlight 1&2 would be it. Diablo needs to go back to dark and gritty grays, browns and reds.

And separately...

On the masculinity topic, I never knew the movile audience was female driven? He said "Can't argue the facts" - is there any statistics to back that up? The people who were hatong there were obviously doing a horrible job at trolling, can it not just be that they're trolling horribly? Lol

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

i don't really get the fervor over Diablo: Immortal personally.

It seems to me it went something like this:

Blizz teases something new in the Diablo world

PC Diablo fans assume that its something new for PC because it just HAS to be for PC because reasons

Blizz reveals mobile game

PC Diablo fans upset because their pulled-out-of-their-ass assumption that the new thing was a PC game didn't pan out

PC Diablo fans angrily spew over the internet.

I get it, the internet is pretty much for knee-jerk reaction hate these days, and maybe I missed some teasing from Blizz that would have made me think it was a PC game, but nothing I'd seen as of now made me think it was a PC game.  So it seems like the usual nerd rage on not getting exactly what you wanted whether that was a reasonable expectation or not.

I'll probably never play Diablo: Immortal, so frankly its existence is irrelevant to my life.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It seems to me it went something like this:

Blizz teases something new in the Diablo world

PC Diablo fans assume that its something new for PC because it just HAS to be for PC because reasons

Blizz reveals mobile game

PC Diablo fans upset because their pulled-out-of-their-ass assumption that the new thing was a PC game didn't pan out

PC Diablo fans angrily spew over the internet.

I get it, the internet is pretty much for knee-jerk reaction hate these days, and maybe I missed some teasing from Blizz that would have made me think it was a PC game, but nothing I'd seen as of now made me think it was a PC game.  So it seems like the usual nerd rage on not getting exactly what you wanted whether that was a reasonable expectation or not.

I'll probably never play Diablo: Immortal, so frankly its existence is irrelevant to my life.

I'm not sure I'm the right guy to answer it. The Diablo Immortal reveal was deaf to the wants of their audience. The internet community is addicted to its outrage and acting like children. And I don't even like Diablo games. My distaste for Diablo is why I was a late adopter of Baldur's Gate because they look vaguely visually similar. But I'm also a loser who spends too much time on the internet, so I'm going to try anyway.

But something was pointed out that helps paint Blizzard's crappy reveal as even crappier than I originally thought. People pay money to attend or watch Blizzcon. Like $50 or something to see what Blizzard's been up to and be part of a community event getting excited about the next big reveal. And people ended up getting a lame overhyped title meant for playing on the toilet.

If I was anticipating anything here, if I was a fan of Diablo who is waiting and anticipating finding out what they're doing next with a franchise I very much care about, to the point that I paid money to see it, to say I would be deflated might be an understatement.

Maybe an analogy will help. Imagine you're attending a hard rock festival with a surprise main act at the end of the show.  You're paying up to 199$ to go see your favorite acts, including a few oldies and a bunch of cover bands. So far it's been kind of entertaining but nothing special. But the secret main act is still coming.

There've been a few hints and teases and you kind of know what it is going to be about already. Then it finally happens, the main act comes onto the stage and is... Taylor Swift.

Or in other words, if maybe if AC/DC showed up instead of Led Zepelin it would be reasonable to blame your expectations, but nobody goes to a hard rock festival to see Taylor Swift revealed as the surprise main act.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Maybe its that I'd never go to something on the off chance that a not-yet-identified something might be good?

Maybe its because if I'm going to a concert, it'd be for an act or acts that was known to be there, not for some secret act that was unannounced?  In that case, it'd be irrelevant if TayTay showed up.  Maybe Taylor Swift wanted to do some Metallica covers and it might be weird but good?  I dunno, I can always walk out and I wouldn't feel cheated because I was there for something I knew about - no expectations, reasonable or otherwise to be dashed by the surprise mystery guest.

And I certainly wouldn't pay money to go to Blizzcon for something that, regardless of how good or bad it was, I'd be able to find out about a couple of hours after the reveal is made (if that) by checking the internet.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There've been a few hints and teases and you kind of know what it is going to be about already.

Though in this case, you are just thinking you know, they did douse hopes of D4 two weeks ago or so - at least for now.

From now on I will think of Taylor Swift as the mobile gaming of the music world. :lol:

Psst, don't tell that to SonicMage.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

To be honest, I don't even want a Diablo 4. :D The experience with Diablo 3 left me so cold, I still feel completely out-diablo'd.

I want Diablo 4 for but from Blizzard North :(. Not that cartoon crap Blizz WoW team produced

Usually I love cartoony/bright colored personality in games but I agree, it does NOT fit Diablo's atmosphere. If I want the cel-shaded arpg I think Torchlight 1&2 would be it. Diablo needs to go back to dark and gritty grays, browns and reds.

Well colors are only small part of it. D1/D2 got some bright colors here and there as well, but overall atmosphere was more of horror game - its completely absent from D3