Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1393 replies to this topic

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3813 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

From my point of view the Jedi are evil

You're both going to hell.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2931 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
"Thine hands are soft comrade, perhaps a stick in your arse may help you to aim better, no?" -Dracovitch (Metro 2033)

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2485 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

New gameplay trailer for The Missing:

https://youtu.be/u7fqQK0bl_U

Swery65 and Suda51 should get together and design a video game. Speaking of which, Let It Die is coming to PC. Souls fans might find it interesting, haven't played it myself yet.

Edited by Katphood, 22 August 2018 - 11:19 PM.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2931 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Doesn't surprise me, especially after the success of BF4. EA is a large company with very skilled marketing, far smarter than a comsumer who says "We don't want that crap."

In other words, they will find a way to survive, they always do as business companies like this always do.

There's so much improvement, I'm genuinely impressed.

Edited by SonicMage117, 23 August 2018 - 08:28 AM.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

EA wins because every time they lose money, the people that make money can invest in them and displace previous investors. Since EA owns their assets that allow them to generate value, the entity will always win but people and products around it will win or loose. Which is why praising the institutions ability to survive is misplaced praise.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2931 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Doesn't surprise, as a consumer, I don't like EA at all and would love for then to lose to consumers for once but that we all know, will never happen.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7670 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I forget, what's the problem with BF5 ? People not into WW2 anymore ?

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2931 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
When people first saw it, they saw that the game's heroes were not historically correct or accurate to the type of heroes who were in that timeframe. Basically it's an SJW thing.

So far, the pre-order numbers are low but that pretty much means nothing since BF has it's usual fanbase that will turn in proffit for the game. Speaking of which, the last BF game I bought was BF1942, perhaps it's time for me to get in all thr rage :p I'd have to see more of it, it takes alot these days for me to get into an FPS type game.

I think EA's sense of reverse psychology and ability to trick comsumers into thinking they're right or even had a choice in the first place is more impressive. Eh, kinda like politics in that way.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I wouldn't say there is a single problem, but what opinion someone has of the game has become a shibboleth by which to malign or exalt someone. EA/Dice have decided to partake in this and as part of their marketing campaign and are currently doubling down. So preparing for a flop is just their way of not making things worse by wagging a finger at those who they have support from.

But basically there is a messy conflict being made between people who want the series to keep a historic tone, and those who want a WW2 theme-park game that represents of 21st century demographics. Where the former group is made out to be against woman & minorities, and the later is made out to be revisionist history identity politics people. I guess there is a secondary argument over whether having unrealistic gameplay justifies taking an unhistorical tone or not.

Pre-orders might also be low due to the Battlefront 2 and Andromeda **** shows, but the above is certainly contributing.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7670 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Something funny about wanting accuracy in a Battlefield game, but that's gamers these days for you.

LittleAmadillo0

LittleAmadillo0

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 86 posts

It also doesn't help that Battlefield 5 is sandwiched between two major releases ( Call of Duty Black Opps 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2).

In fact, preoder numbers for Battlefield are tracking behind Call of Duty by more than 85 %.

https://www.cnbc.com...pre-orders.html

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2931 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Of course, for this I know, the CoD reveal was recieved much better than the BFV reveal this year and rightfully so. Even though there are many similarities betwren the two games, BF's reveal didn't answer any of the fan's questions while CoD answered all of them. That made all the difference in public eyes but eventually after release some time, people will buy BFV just to see what it is. Both games have some latency to legacy so that is enough to keep the franchises alive no matter how bad their launches are lol

To me, both games look pretty equal as far as production quality and efforts. Hard to say that one looks better in any way.

Red Dead Redemption 2, also not surprising but that's not a game that's competing with BFV and CoD. It would be more accurate to compare it to Spiderman PS4 even though that's a PS4 exclusivist title.
  • LittleAmadillo0 likes this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3688 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
GOG started new web :-)

https://fckdrm.com
  • Azdeus, Chilloutman and injurai like this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7670 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

A scene group should make a similar wesbite :p

• majestic and Mamoulian War like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

GOG started new web :-)

https://fckdrm.com

Excellent

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 524 posts
  • Steam:Sorceress
  • Deadfire Backer

Biggest news I have seen today

But those are guys!

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7670 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

https://www.engadget...ight-interview/

I guess this counts as pre-alpha ?

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4700 posts

Biggest news I have seen today

But those are guys!

I am reminded about a documentary I watched about the Robespierrean chaos of French revolution, about how expressing the right opinion could became a matter of life or death, and how it would sometimes be very hard to predict which way the wind was blowing. 

In the end Robespierre himself misread the crowd and wound up in the guillotine. He had overreached, probably because he had to top himself every time he addressed the assembly. You see, if you are not actively fighting the enemies of the revolution, then clearly you are already suspect and probably counter revolutionary. So with each speech the list of enemies of the revolution had to get a little longer, and this would then continue right up to the point that the majority of his audience were in fear of their own lives. That was his last speech. 

• Hurlshot, Oner and injurai like this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7670 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

*snort*

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2906 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

One more week....

I really should stop hyping myself over these games and actually play them after i buy them. :D Maybe even finish them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users