RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

Uh, I don't think George Lucas has money problems.

Never said he did, it's the Polish author who made a stupid deal for the rights to his IP. Meanwhile Lucas made a steal selling the rights to his numerous times.

They both have an unfortunate lack of quality with their later works.

George Lucas's big plus was that he didn't sell the rights to his works though, until DIsney, and if anything he tended to the micromanagement side of contracts etc. So every time someone bought a Boba Fett action figure it was Lucas getting the money, not Fox, and he could renegotiate everything including future movies from a position of strength. If anything Sapkowski is like the Fox execs who were so sure that Star Wars would fail that they didn't even bother doing a proper deal for it.

Plus, even the worst of Lucas's movies were better than most and far more successful than almost all SW licensed products. Maybe a few people bought the movies because of KOTOR, but it was way disproportionately the reverse situation of people buying the licensed game product due to the movies. For Twitcher it's the exact reverse outside of eastern Europe.

There isn't really a readily available equivalent situation to the one Sapkowski finds himself in because most people aren't as, well, stupid as he was and in most places you don't get a second bite of the cherry as he's trying for. If the games failed he wouldn't return the lump sum, and he's been an idiot retrospectively but most importantly by his own choice with no trickery involved. There's no point even offering a lump sum payment if the rights' holder can just go back and relitigate later if it does better than expected, everyone would take a lump sum secure in the knowledge that they can go back and demand a percentage later. He made a calculated bet that the games would fail, and lost. This situation is exactly what limited term deals and percentages are insurance against and he seemingly ignored both.

Uh, I don't think George Lucas has money problems.

Don't think he is lacking in skill as much as people say, as well.
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ghostofanakin if anyone is being an idiot here , that would be you. Too much jumping to conclusions with very limited knowledge.

How so?  The information from both the author and CDPR indicate he was offered a percentage royalty deal, but declined and took a lump sum because he didn't think the video game would sell much.

What am I missing?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Amazon's new game "New World" is the retro rpg fans wet dream.

Think NVN2 but as an mmo, done right with some Ultima Online ahd Guild Wars aspects. The massive world seems well built but we'll see.

Although from what I've seen, I'm getting a online Witcher feel.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Cyberpunk 2077 enlists help of studio which built Dying Light PvP

I also remember CDPR getting a grant from the Polish gov't to develop a multiplayer experience or something along those lines, so I guess they are going to do it, one way or another.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I feel they will do a GTA Online analog.

Hopefully without it being griefer hell as well as slow.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Soon you can live the "Dance of the Vampires" for yourself:

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I've tried playing DCS once, I even made a screenshot of it.

stAr6uu.jpg

Yes, this is the runway.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 6

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I've tried playing DCS once, I even made a screenshot of it.

stAr6uu.jpg

Yes, this is the runway.

It looks very green

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Obsidian still has that Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky project they're doing with 2K, don't they? Wouldn't an acquisition by Microsoft kind of be stepping on their toes?

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Sqaure Enix new game allows you to shoot on-foot or jump into a speed mech with armores core style gameplay. Looks interesting enough :)

I mean, maybe Obsidian will then finally have more money to make the games they really want to make... On the other hand, we know what happens to studios that are bought up.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I mean, maybe Obsidian will then finally have more money to make the games they really want to make... On the other hand, we know what happens to studios that are bought up.

...I remember that quote from Bioware; "we were given enough rope to hang ourselves". With the way that things seem to be going in upper management at Obsidian; which we know thanks to all the dirty laundry that Avellone aired, I wouldn't be surprised they sold out. On the other hand if the rumors of Obsidian being difficult to work with are true, the deal might fall way before negotiations starts.

We'll see.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The death of Obsidian?

I don't know why Microsoft would want to buy a company that makes PRGs...

The sad part about not having editors actually edit.

Corporations do not think like people. They think like Lovecraftian monstrosities from alien dimensions that they are.

"Hey EA Bob, we here bought a RPG-making company that's famous for writing and character interaction. What do you think we should do with it?"

"Why EA Chad, set it to make always online shoot'n'looter with no story or character interaction! Obviously, duh!"