RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

Hello. Here's a thread for all the random video game news. Previous topics included Valve's support for Linux and trailers and new coming out of Gamescom in Cologne, Germany. PAX coming up soon too, I believe.

Anyway, long story short, Valve have not given up on Linux, in fact they've been directly and indirectly responsible for Linux gaming being in a better place now than it's ever been. Things continue to move forward, but these things take time and we're also talking about Valve here and we all know Valve works on Valve Time.

*lowers pitch-fork*

That's all good news. I'll give SteamOS a go since it's...free!

Give it a few weeks. Right now Proton is only in the Steam Beta client and it has some issues (namely segfaulting) on some systems. I think we can expect some bumps in the road at first. Unless you want to be one of the first and provide Valve with bug reports and feedback, which is cool if you do want to do that, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're an experienced Linux user, I would wait until at least the first round of issues are worked out.

Looks sweet.

Also, here's a nice preview of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I need Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord in my life now, but I'm probably going to have to wait a couple more years. 

5845cd230b2a3b54fdbaecf7.png

The Sinking City looks interesting.  We're getting quite a few Lovecraftian themed games in the near future.  It will be interesting to see if any of them actually manage to nail the atmosphere and can properly mind **** us.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

All they need is an ad reading "Armağan Yavuz's going to make you his bitch"

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Biggest news I have seen today

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

201X: "Did you just assume their gender?" - People who said this seriously.

201Y: "Did you just assume their gender?" - People mocking the former.

201Z: "Did you just assume their gender?" - People making light of the phrase, yet are committed progressives. (CDPR)

"Ugh, us progressive do not act that way!" - People who aren't being mocked, but act grieved when their allies have a sense of humor.

• Like 1

^ Much ado about nothing,  In Current Year you're not allowed to have a sense of humor on social media without a bunch of people getting their panties in a bunch.  CDPR, being a public company, take the cowardly (and smart from a business standpoint) way out and apologize for something that doesn't mean anything.  That's the world we live in.  Makes me all that much happier that I don't exist on social media.

Anyway, for Switch owners out there:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They did, and their forums were still mercilessly negative at GOG apologising for their Postal 2 publicity and at CDPR for apologising over this incident.

Never apologise to extremists, it only confirms to them their self importance and righteousness. One of the few things I'd take as a near absolute rule.

• Like 1

Never apologise to extremists, it only confirms to them their self importance and righteousness. One of the few things I'd take as a near absolute rule.

Hmm. It could be said that you are an extremist regarding not apologizing to extremists.

Would not apologizing to you ever would in turn make me an extremist, and therefore make me not eligible for apologies myself, resulting in a runaway unrepentance effect? I shall ponder this question.

Moving on. PUBG is ****ing finally getting a training mode. Who knows, I may even reinstall.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I could see why people here wouldn't want to talk about it. There's many souls on these boards looking forward to the game, so far me personally I don't see anything wrong with the joke or the comment but at least CDPR were properly educated by the SJW's on it's meaning. On the same token, the SJW's definitely overreacted as usual.

Unfortunately this is just one of those situations where everyone looked like an idiot in the end. CDPR for saying things that they either don't know the meaning of in different countries or just wording things wrong, the SJW's for their atrocious whining and then those who felt the need to defend CDPR... Yeah, to those people, don't drfend the company, you'll just make matters worse as demonstrated. The only winners are those who stay silent, buting theur tongue - shame that such a thing would cause a lack if interest and damage sales but this could have been avoided. Yes, we are in 2018, the age where people over-exaggerate and get offended/defend everything but also CDPR should have, could have been smarter.

Okay, I suppose we can move on :)

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Hmm. It could be said that you are an extremist regarding not apologizing to extremists.

And if you apologised about thinking my position on apologising to extremists is extreme I would be further cemented in my belief in that position, exacerbating further the extremity of my position on it.

Classic viscous circle, or something, not good for anyone ultimately.

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

From my point of view the Jedi are evil

You're both going to hell.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"Thine hands are soft comrade, perhaps a stick in your arse may help you to aim better, no?" -Dracovitch (Metro 2033)

New gameplay trailer for The Missing:

https://youtu.be/u7fqQK0bl_U

Swery65 and Suda51 should get together and design a video game. Speaking of which, Let It Die is coming to PC. Souls fans might find it interesting, haven't played it myself yet.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Doesn't surprise me, especially after the success of BF4. EA is a large company with very skilled marketing, far smarter than a comsumer who says "We don't want that crap."

In other words, they will find a way to survive, they always do as business companies like this always do.

There's so much improvement, I'm genuinely impressed.

Edited by SonicMage117

EA wins because every time they lose money, the people that make money can invest in them and displace previous investors. Since EA owns their assets that allow them to generate value, the entity will always win but people and products around it will win or loose. Which is why praising the institutions ability to survive is misplaced praise.