What influences Lord Darryn's Voulge's "Static Thunder" damage?

Quick question before work, 

I was wondering what modifiers affected the Static Thunder damage on Lord Darryn's Voulge, outside of the number of charges on an enemy when it detonated? The ability says it's 10 Shock damage per charge, but in some of my testing (Pre nerf) I was hitting for around 30-50 or so with minimal stacking. Is it still capable of reaching those sorts of numbers? 

Hmm, alright.

I'm considering whether to drop my Resolve down and bump my Might up - 25 without Frenzy and with gear, 30 while Frenzied, or if losing that 10 Deflection is too risky for a tankier Barbarian. But that'd be 60% bonus damage compared to 30%.

No ur deflection will be **** anyway with no shield and with frenzy and no Paladin :p

Yeah, after a certain point all incoming weapon attacks will crit anyways if your deflection is low enough. So might as well just tank it further.

If you are using pure barb, you can get Barbaric Retaliation which will increase your dps by quite a bit due to the incoming crits. 

Edited by mosspit

Yeah, after a certain point all incoming weapon attacks will crit anyways if your deflection is low enough. So might as well just tank it further.

If you are using pure barb, you can get Barbaric Retaliation which will increase your dps by quite a bit due to the incoming crits.

I'm planning on running a Brute. I wanted to use armor rating to tank hits if possible. Is that a good build or should I just go pure Barbarian?

I'm planning on running a Brute. I wanted to use armor rating to tank hits if possible. Is that a good build or should I just go pure Barbarian?

It's good. Don't worry about it. I was just stating a scenario if you are a pure barb.

Brute can deal with low Deflection due to low RES nicely with Unbending. Crits or not, you still are able to heal back the dmg dealt to your character in general.

U can but potd and uscaled have a lot of pen, even a simple cave grub have 12+ pen on normal hits. Crits will always overpen u. You would need platinated plate, thick skin, blunting belt, armor pots and immunity to flanking if u want to prevent pen and even then they would pen u easily with crits. Not all ofc but enemies who hurt will. Find ways to daze enemies. I think barbarians shout does this but I'm not sure if it's on a PL8 or 9 upgrade. Leap also dazes. Problem is barbarians limited resources vs their expensive skills