Filler on Killer Tides - A 1 Hour 25 Minute Video Review of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Hey there guys. I'm doing the rounds trying to promote this video right now, doing my best not to annoy anyone while doing it. I didn't try here when I uploaded my video preview on the game's Backer Beta a few months ago so I thought I might as well give it a spin here. Do note that I am not a Pillars youtuber solely, but I do make long, analytical content about (mostly) RPGs. I ask only that you give my content a chance, and if you have any thoughts to share (positive or otherwise) you are free to share them and I will do my best to respond.

Anyways, here's the video.

Edited by Novem
  • Like 3

Because it is. I'm not sure if you understand how the Inspirations and Affliction system works, but basically you need to know which inspirations and afflictions fit each attribute in order to successfully counter them. Instead of a straight up curative for each status effect, you need to match it with the corresponding inspiration in order to cancel it. This also works the other way, where an affliction can cancel an inspiration. This is an entire dimension to combat you are missing out on unless you have the mod and are aware of the system. I mean, unless you have some incredible, encyclopedic memory and can recall not just the attribute of each affliction and inspiration simply by seeing the word, but the rank.

The Enhanced UI Mod also has many other useful features, I'd encourage you to check it out.

The rank of the afflictions/inspirations doesn't matter when it comes to taking countermeasures.

I agree that the UI mod is pretty nice. I don't use it because by this time I memorized that stuff - but it's a good mod nonetheless.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it did, I just meant to say that it's difficult to know which ones are better at a glance.

I don't see any reason not to use it myself though. It doesn't really interfere with the experience at all, in fact, as I said, it's straight up my opinion that it should be packaged with the game or Obsidian should integrate their own solution. I think there are a lot of people playing this game who don't even know this stuff exists, let alone are memorizing all of the stuff necessary to play around it.

Edited by Novem

I didn't watch the entire review, I don't have the time atm, but I gave a like on youtube solely based on the Stephen Amell portrait! Also great to see people doing this kind of (I assume) in-depth content for PoE II. 

• Like 1

I didn't watch the entire review, I don't have the time atm, but I gave a like on youtube solely based on the Stephen Amell portrait! Also great to see people doing this kind of (I assume) in-depth content for PoE II. 

Damn it now I really wish I played as a Ranger, I didn't even notice that resemblance, lmao

• Like 1

Because it is. I'm not sure if you understand how the Inspirations and Affliction system works, but basically you need to know which inspirations and afflictions fit each attribute in order to successfully counter them. Instead of a straight up curative for each status effect, you need to match it with the corresponding inspiration in order to cancel it. This also works the other way, where an affliction can cancel an inspiration. This is an entire dimension to combat you are missing out on unless you have the mod and are aware of the system. I mean, unless you have some incredible, encyclopedic memory and can recall not just the attribute of each affliction and inspiration simply by seeing the word, but the rank.

The Enhanced UI Mod also has many other useful features, I'd encourage you to check it out.

Yeah in know how they work.

Its not hard to associate them with each other. But yes a first time player would find it very confusing along with the other 99% of the stuff in the game.

That mod might help them but i definitely wouldnt use it

Edited by Teclis23

Yeah in know how they work.

Its not hard to associate them with each other. But yes a first time player would find it very confusing along with the other 99% of the stuff in the game.

That mod might help them but i definitely wouldnt use it

I don't understand why, there is literally no reason not to use it. And it's not really something the player can just figure out. The game doesn't tutorialize how the system works and it's impossible to figure it out on your own unless you have the mod installed. More importantly, I don't see what could possibly be enjoyable about memorizing the relation of dozens of status effects to each other when such a simple solution exists. Not to mention that even once you can recall them, it very likely won't be in an instant and you might make a mistake and recall the incorrect counter. And this isn't your mistake, because rote memorization isn't a real skill. This is the game's failure for failing to communicate important details to the player.

Besides, like I said, the mod has other features, such as telling you which enchantments are mutually exclusive before you apply them. Which is also pretty important to know.

This is a video with spoilers in it -_-, but good job on the video!!

The beginning of the video literally says "Minor Spoilers Ahead" in big, bold letters for several seconds... and what spoilers are in the video (of which exactly 0 are related to the main quest, btw) are completely out of context. The video is an hour and a half long, it would be impossible to do a video to begin with while leaving out everything one might consider a "spoiler".

Edited by Novem

I am very certain. Avoiding spoilers is a very big part of editing a review and a big part of making my videos. It's a big point of concern when I produce content, to be sure, :)

Here's the link btw: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/32

If you have trouble finding it in the future for updates, it's the top file on POE2's nexus, :D

Edited by Novem
  • Like 1