Which faction has the most robust storyline, out of VTC, RDC, or Principi?

Hey guys, 

So, I'm trying to decide on a faction to play for my next Watcher - and I've only completed a Huana game before now. I'm curious about which Faction offers the most robust experience between the VTC, RDC, and Principi. Specifically...

1. Who would you say has the most interesting/engaging quests? There seems to be a lot of overlap between VTC and RDC quests, so I'm thinking the Principi might win in this regard. 

2. Who has the most interesting cast of characters to interact with? Leaders, vendors, other folks. Anyone whose dialogue changes significantly once you gain reputation points with their respective faction? 

3. Who's got the nicest digs? Without Caed Nua, and aside from my ship, I'm going to need a nice place to stay. Again, Principi seems to win out here. They've got Fort Deadlight and Dunnage. 

• Like 1

Many of the quests are interrelated. You just kind of approach them from different angles depending on which faction sends you. 

I think I like the Principi best, for the reason you mentioned: their digs. Exploring a pirate city like Dunnage was loads more fun than wandering around the other factions' buildings in Neketaka.

For me it was interesting to find out across two pts how two factions which I thought would be unrelated, cross paths. I also think VTC and Principi might be more interesting, since there's some infighting in both of these factions and they can change their leaders.

• Like 2

If I had to rank them I'd go:

1. Principi

2. Huana / RDC (both are good and I love RDC's "twist")

---------

3. VTC

Principi's really stuck out to me and it's still my favorite.

Edited by Verde

RDC is pretty excellent overall, although I don't know if I'd call it the best. 

0. Atsura Atsura Atsura. Love him or hate him, he's pretty unique. 

1. Investigation in Hasongo, which you have to do anyway.

2. By far the most awesome resolution of the Poko Kahara quest.

3. Maia's quests are one of the high points of writing in this particular game.

4. Exterminating an entire den of slavers for strategic gain (partial credit. Aeldys and the Masks would have you do likewise)

5. A black op on the high seas, transporting precious cargo, only to stick it to some druids and go 20K leagues below.  

6.If you don't work for the RDC Smurfs, how you gonna fight a Kraken?

7.The endgame mission is not a high point, and is a mark against the calculating RDC we sometimes see. It's meh. 

8. The final reward goes full Chekov, and is one of the technical wonders of the age.  :bow:

It's Strong start to finish, although Huana and VTC are late bloomers in that you get to destroy an area of the map, and then have a show-trial before or after. While the political ripples of the RDC penultimate may be stronger, it's simply not as fun. The other 3 factions offer some shift in either internal leadership, or priorities, and the notoriously militant RDC doesn't. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate
  • Like 4

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

All my submarines will now be named Chekov.

I like RDC the best for 2 reasons. Atsura and Submarines!

It'll be interesting to see how Atsura reacts to a character with more focused dispositions. I was playing someone who'd managed to pick up a few stray points in Benevolent, so I got his whole "We're working for the good of the Huana" spiel. 

If you want to get spoiled for Atsura's reactions I posted all outcomes of some conversations in a topic about Atsura here. Usually two dispositions are grouped together and his response will be the same for both so in the first convo with him he gets 3 different greetings for 6 dispositions. 100% Honest Watcher usually doesn't get anything unique. But I haven't tested it for quests for Crookspur or Poko Kahara. As for dispositions... good luck with trying to play a more focused character. I tried and yet picked up one rank here or there and it kinda ruined my Atsura experience, which is also why I decided to test it. If you're not opposed to some modding it can be always fixed with the Unity Console.

Also yeah playing for RDC is also interesting, I quite enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I liked the VTC the most, because their experiments with the Wheel gave us insights in the working of the cosmos and I like the internal bickering between the leading parties. I found that the group had an interesting internal conflict. The Principi are a close second, because pirates are fun and I like their endgoal (finding the ghostship).

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to see how Atsura reacts to a character with more focused dispositions. I was playing someone who'd managed to pick up a few stray points in Benevolent, so I got his whole "We're working for the good of the Huana" spiel. 

I've had him hug me the first time we met. It was weird. lol

• Like 1

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

I've had him hug me the first time we met. It was weird. lol

Same. He was literally the only person to ever give my Watcher a hug. I was playing a former Vailian aristocrat, so needless to say, his first reflex was 'is he going to slip a knife between my ribs? well if I die, there are worse ways to go than death by hugging'

I've often leaned towards VTC with Castrol's goals of progressiveness and it seemed more pro-kith with the watcher's dealings with the gods.  Maybe it'll lead to the second round of artificial gods.  The RDC is similar too, but the whole imperialism thing felt stuffy for me.  I loved the whole carefree style of the pirates led by Aedalys, but they didn't do much for the greater good though that can be subjective.  Similarly, an unhelped watcher has an ending like the Aedalys ending, so maybe you were meant to be a pirate after all!  I really liked the prince from the Huana since he seemed a lot more open than what his appearance portrayed, but the whole Huana system felt entitled.

Edited by Metaturtle

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

I've often leaned towards VTC with Castrol's goals of progressiveness and it seemed more pro-kith with the watcher's dealings with the gods.  Maybe it'll lead to the second round of artificial gods.  The RDC is similar too, but the whole imperialism thing felt stuffy for me.  I loved the whole carefree style of the pirates led by Aedalys, but they didn't do much for the greater good though that can be subjective.  Similarly, an unhelped watcher has an ending like the Aedalys ending, so maybe you were meant to be a pirate after all!  I really liked the prince from the Huana since he seemed a lot more open than what his appearance portrayed, but the whole Huana system felt entitled.

I'm definitely looking at the Principi at this point. 

This. In the end, all of them besides the VTC are concentrated on the old-fashioned way of preserving powder (or in case of the principi: partying like there is no tomorrow). The Ducs are also a bunch of jackasses, but Castrol has a vision for the future, that could help the world regenerate, which in the long term should be more helpful, than just another empire (although it doesn't negate the fact, that the Vailians may build another Wheel in the future, just because they can). 

I haven't finished yet, but I'm currently leaning towards supporting the RDC, they seem somewhat less exploitive than the VTC (also I really like Maia).  Neither the RDC or VTC are perfect solutions to stabilize the Deadfire, but the VTC seem more intent on reaping all the luminous adra from an area, then leaving it. Haven't done as many quests for the VTC as others, so that opinion could fluctuate.

When I started the game, I was set on supporting the Huana, and I liked the Queen when I first met her.  But then I went to the Gullet and saw how they treat the Ruparo (sp), seeing how they had no medical care, lived in hovels, and scavanged out of a garbage pile.  Some of that was semi-correctable through quests, but it was that basic hirearchy that I didn't like.  Plus I released the dragon under the city that they held captive and were leaching the life out of, that my ranger couldn't tolerate.  Took a major rep hit with that.

Also when I started, I was set on just destroying pirates, the Principi.  But the longer I played, and after meeting Aedalys and destroying the Slavers, I find this faction much more intricate than I initially assumed.  In fact  my current rep with them is 5, whereas RDC & VTC are both 3, and the Huana is 2 (mainly due to releasing the dragon.

It had been my hope to get some of those factions to work together, but I know that's not possible.  It just seemed like a union of Huana/RDC, or Huana/Principi would be a better solution.

I haven't finished yet, but I'm currently leaning towards supporting the RDC, they seem somewhat less exploitive than the VTC (also I really like Maia).  Neither the RDC or VTC are perfect solutions to stabilize the Deadfire, but the VTC seem more intent on reaping all the luminous adra from an area, then leaving it. Haven't done as many quests for the VTC as others, so that opinion could fluctuate.

When I started the game, I was set on supporting the Huana, and I liked the Queen when I first met her.  But then I went to the Gullet and saw how they treat the Ruparo (sp), seeing how they had no medical care, lived in hovels, and scavanged out of a garbage pile.  Some of that was semi-correctable through quests, but it was that basic hirearchy that I didn't like.  Plus I released the dragon under the city that they held captive and were leaching the life out of, that my ranger couldn't tolerate.  Took a major rep hit with that.

Also when I started, I was set on just destroying pirates, the Principi.  But the longer I played, and after meeting Aedalys and destroying the Slavers, I find this faction much more intricate than I initially assumed.  In fact  my current rep with them is 5, whereas RDC & VTC are both 3, and the Huana is 2 (mainly due to releasing the dragon.

It had been my hope to get some of those factions to work together, but I know that's not possible.  It just seemed like a union of Huana/RDC, or Huana/Principi would be a better solution.

RDC simply want to oppress everyone in deadfire

and if they succeed then all other part of eora

VTC want to take away all the money

and the endless greed of shareholder will lead to them create new gods one day

Edited by uuuhhii