Galawain is known as the Seeker God, Father of Monsters and the Changeling. Among other things, his domain is Perseverance (Survivor).

Since the DLC is Galawain-themed it's not a far fetch to assume that this statue with its three faces depicts the Huana version of Galawain that has those three major aspects.

Only now I noticed that the statue has three heads. :p:facepalm:

• Like 1

sign.jpg

The middle one, you could easily find in perfectly solemn Chinese or Korean art. The other two look like Nickelodeon, though. Interesting.

• Like 1

The middle one, you could easily find in perfectly solemn Chinese or Korean art. The other two look like Nickelodeon, though. Interesting.

It's fairly unlikely that's finished art.  By the time release comes around, I'd wager that it will be similar in appearance to the woodcarving-esque menu decorations seen throughout the the game.

Pillars and Deadfire have had some pretty derpy placeholder art throughout the years; usually in the form of MS Paint-style doodles.  The arena window is actually better than average for unfinished graphics.  :p

I'd love to hear an example of one.

Fallout 2, Arcanum, Ultima 7, Gothic, Gothic 2, Ultima Underworld, Divine Divinity, Risen, Baldur's Gate...

Didnt play Ultimas, DD or Rise.

I always thought that main story line of Fallouts were more of an incentive for exploration rather actual storyline (very much like Deadfires). A smart thing that Fallout does is not telling you were to go and hints it does make you go on a wild goose chase. Arcanum was similar. Fun world, main plot itself was dull. BG1 plot was pretty badly paced, BG2 has great main story and side content but I always thought they clash with each other (oh... what was it? I was supposed to rescue someone? Sorry I forgot about the main plot with all the fun side quests I have to do).

I thought Witcher 3 had a pretty great balance of main story and excuses to engage in side activities, with multiple plot point given to you as an excuse to not move the plot forward and just be the grumpy neighborhood witcher.

• Like 1

Heh - but you will mess it up all the time because you will run to chapter x before even knowing about chapter c.

Are you kidding me i hope ;D

@achilles: obviously you've never played the games i mentioned before or Ultima 7.

PoE2 is open world, but still suffers from the “too many distractions” problem that *all* open world game have. Currently on my 4th playthrough and finally have a good idea of what needs to be ignored in order to keep a consistent narrative.
You can never have too much to do. To each his own an all but having more to do than you could possibly want to complete gives a layer of immersion linear experiences simply do not have. Being able to come back to a game time and time again and always having something new to be discovered is what keeps bringing me back to games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, or any recent fallout title for example. You can say its a problem (and some agree) but that element is a huge draw for a lot of people also.
Yeah. Some people really like that. Some people really like games for the story. Thank you for repeating it again.
Yeah not mutually exclusive lol...
Except that they are. Your options are 1) play in the sandbox and throw narrative to wind or 2) chase the narrative and ignore the sandbox. There is no middle ground.

The point that I (and others) have tried to make is that while option 2 is available for narrative-focused players, it usually involves multiple (sometimes frustrating) playthroughs.

There is middle ground, and many games prove that.  If you want a straight narrative, from A to B, ok,  it's awful for a crpg unless you're playing a beat em up or a fps but ot each its own i guess, there are people who eat pizza with pineapple.

Even a pnp rpg camoaign is not devoid of freedom given to the players unless you're a bad master.

I used to be a DM and the worst sessions were those where the narrative hook wasn't compelling enough to keep the players moving in a unified direction. Our general view was that character choice and roleplaying flourished more under a structured narrative (I dive off the cliff and leave my party behind to save the artifact) than an open narrative that allows a high degree of physical freedom (I go to the nearest inn. Are there wenches?).

As for choice and linearity in video games, I'd add the Mass Effect series. Those games were linear as hell in terms of physical freedom (the occasional exploration element was mainly empty planets) and they had more reactivity and meaningful player choice than any other crpg before or since. The ending was sadly nonsensical garbage and turned me away from Bioware for good, but it is a proof point that linear games can offer NPC depth and an engaging narrative without sacrificing player choice or roleplaying. 

I agree with you about eating pizza with pineapple, though. 

• Like 2

I really hope they don't make PoE3 an open world game. Open world games are a neat concept but rarely if ever pulled off successfully. The problem is that the sheer amount of content they need to be packed with stretches everything thin. This is incredibly obvious even in games as well received as The Witcher 3. The interesting quests and main plot are buried under a mountain of forgettable filler. The combat system has a solid foundation but is never built on in any meaningful way, so it quickly becomes stale. The skills/abilities you gain from leveling are with only a few exceptions very minor. Itemization is shamefully shallow, which is shocking since inventory management and crafting are such tedious chores. The poor itemization undercuts the fun of exploration because halfway through the game literally nothing you can find is a worthwhile reward other than plans for Witcher set items.

The end result of most open world games is something designed to be played for countless hours, but is actually only fun for fewer hours than a more linear game. It's just a better idea to focus on doing a few things well so you don't end up doing everything poorly.

Edited by HoopleDoople
  • Like 4

I really hope they don't make PoE3 an open world game. Open world games are a neat concept but rarely if ever pulled off successfully. The problem is that the sheer amount of content they need to be packed with stretches everything thin. This is incredibly obvious even in games as well received as The Witcher 3. The interesting quests and main plot are buried under a mountain of forgettable filler. The combat system has a solid foundation but is never built on in any meaningful way, so it quickly becomes stale. The skills/abilities you gain from leveling are with only a few exceptions very minor. Itemization is shamefully shallow, which is shocking since inventory management and crafting are such tedious chores. The poor itemization undercuts the fun of exploration because halfway through the game literally nothing you can find is a worthwhile reward other than plans for Witcher set items.

The end result of most open world games is something designed to be played for countless hours, but is actually only fun for fewer hours than a more linear game. It's just a better idea to focus on doing a few things well so you don't end up doing everything poorly.

agree, extraneous meta base building/peon management/resource dumps always seem to be boring in rpgs.also the writing for the main quest is disappointed. they went from lore heavy story of poe 1 to boring "follow the enemy" quest with no cunting resolution, no epic final boss and plot holes galore ending.

I hope poe3 is landlocked like poe1 and avoid some boring management, like boat or stronghold.

Edited by misterjimmy

I really hope that poe3 will be open world, monorail games are boring.

I really hope it won't be since (i) open world games are boring (to me) and (ii) most CRPGs these days seem to be at least semi open world.

these days? Lol. Darklands is from '92, might and magic series started in 1986, ultima series in 1980, Fallout 2 '97, Arcanum 2001... I need to go on? Of course its a personal preference.

• Like 1

Back on topic, they confirmed on stream that at least some of the artifact items which you use to trigger arena battles will be found in main game locations, and they implied that you'll be able to find them on your first trip through the area

I wonder if this explains the engwithan tablet in Rinco's house that shows up as of 2.1

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

these days? Lol. Darklands is from '92, might and magic series started in 1986, ultima series in 1980, Fallout 2 '97, Arcanum 2001... I need to go on? Of course its a personal preference.

Could you point out where I claimed there weren't open world games in the past? If not, could you explain how the existence of open world games in the past is relevant?

• Like 1

Back on topic, they confirmed on stream that at least some of the artifact items which you use to trigger arena battles will be found in main game locations, and they implied that you'll be able to find them on your first trip through the area

I wonder if this explains the engwithan tablet in Rinco's house that shows up as of 2.1

I can think of another tablet too!!!! I have yet to Google or search to see if it does anything so I still haven't figured out what its for ... hehe that would be cool though.

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

There's basically no info about DLC3 yet, though probably there'll be more once 2 is out. I wonder if by "dungeon crawl" they mean there'll be a bunch of interior dungeon environments, or maybe one big meaty dungeon like Durgan's Battery. I hope for a bunch of big meaty dungeons, but I know they're not made of time and money!

• Like 1

Concerning Open World:

I liked PoE better than DeadFire for 'open world'

• In PoE you could go to several locations before doing the Maerwald tower unlock. Freedom but limited, the same with chapter two. Similar to how Baldurs Gate did it. Keeps the story focused with landmark events heralding a new chapter.
  • In DeadFire you can sail where ever and do whatever with no sense of urgency. The story gets lost.

Concerning PoE III being open world

• I hope not, especially if it stays an isometric party based game.
  • Open world like Skyrim and Fallout 4 work great because they are single character first person games based on exploration. Wandering around the Commonwealth or Skyrim stealthily stalking animals and then discovering the entrance to some tomb/bomb shelter or whatever makes for a great game that just sucks you in. I just don't see how a isometric party game is going to get that same feel.
  • Now if Obsidian could make a Fallout 4 engine based game that was both open world but with a plot and a point like how New Vegas expanded and massively improved Fallout 3 that'd be great. I don't think that will ever happen as I don't think that Bethesda likes having New Vegas thrown in their face as being a thousand times better than anything they've ever come up with story wise.
    • Since Obsidian will never get a shot at Fallout again they should get the development rights to 'Gamma World' an old school PnP post holocaust game with mutants, technology and magic. Do that up open world first person with a plot and you'd have a winner

Concerning the newest DLC

• In the base game you reach max level before the ending
  • The first DLC adds more experience so you reach max level faster
  • The second DLC will add even more experience so you'll max out even earlier.
    • Why didn't they hold back levels like they did in PoE so that you needed the DLC to obtain the next levels? Something like base game level 12, first DLC level 14, second DLC level 16, third and final DLC level 20.
  • Like 1

Concerning Open World:

I liked PoE better than DeadFire for 'open world'

• In PoE you could go to several locations before doing the Maerwald tower unlock. Freedom but limited, the same with chapter two. Similar to how Baldurs Gate did it. Keeps the story focused with landmark events heralding a new chapter.
  • In DeadFire you can sail where ever and do whatever with no sense of urgency. The story gets lost.

Concerning PoE III being open world

• I hope not, especially if it stays an isometric party based game.
  • Open world like Skyrim and Fallout 4 work great because they are single character first person games based on exploration. Wandering around the Commonwealth or Skyrim stealthily stalking animals and then discovering the entrance to some tomb/bomb shelter or whatever makes for a great game that just sucks you in. I just don't see how a isometric party game is going to get that same feel.
  • Now if Obsidian could make a Fallout 4 engine based game that was both open world but with a plot and a point like how New Vegas expanded and massively improved Fallout 3 that'd be great. I don't think that will ever happen as I don't think that Bethesda likes having New Vegas thrown in their face as being a thousand times better than anything they've ever come up with story wise.
    • Since Obsidian will never get a shot at Fallout again they should get the development rights to 'Gamma World' an old school PnP post holocaust game with mutants, technology and magic. Do that up open world first person with a plot and you'd have a winner

• Why didn't they hold back levels like they did in PoE so that you needed the DLC to obtain the next levels? Something like base game level 12, first DLC level 14, second DLC level 16, third and final DLC level 20.

the time thing kills the urgency

in deadfire it take 6 month game time

poe1 4 month to do all the mission

and open world are bad direction of modern game but deadfire manage to avoid most of the negative effect by not have big empty map to walk in but sail on

still need less random event on sea and more designate point trigger event

If 100 people buy your game, maybe half will buy your DLC also. Only 10 will finish both. Why would you drop a bunch of resources trying to account for something 90% of your players aren’t going to see or care about?

Besides, Obsidian is adding Megabosses for people who can’t bear to be high level for anything other than the last 10 minutes of the game.

• Like 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

If 100 people buy your game, maybe half will buy your DLC also. Only 10 will finish both. Why would you drop a bunch of resources trying to account for something 90% of your players aren’t going to see or care about?

Besides, Obsidian is adding Megabosses for people who can’t bear to be high level for anything other than the last 10 minutes of the game.

If they restricted high levels for the DLCs, there would be a lot of people complaining about it ("Don't force us to buy the DLCs!") and some would say that they had reached max level even faster than it happens the way it is now.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

If they just raised the level cap most people would stop complaining, even without adding additional power levels and abilities. A level cap of 30 would probably cover the game, all 3 DLCs, and the megabosses when they turn up. Or whichever class has the fewest abilities to choose from, make the level cap the amount of levels it would take for that class to be able to get everything

• Like 1

Ugh, that sounds like an awful system though. I don't want to sit there just watching HP numbers go up (and those of the enemies). In some ways it's even worse than staying at level 20. They really need to learn to curve XP right, which neither POE nor Deadfire have done at any point.