Heh - but you will mess it up all the time because you will run to chapter x before even knowing about chapter c.

Are you kidding me i hope ;D

@achilles: obviously you've never played the games i mentioned before or Ultima 7.

PoE2 is open world, but still suffers from the “too many distractions” problem that *all* open world game have. Currently on my 4th playthrough and finally have a good idea of what needs to be ignored in order to keep a consistent narrative.
not my cup of tea, the best crpg i've played were open world by some degree.
And that’s fine. If you reread my first response to you, you’ll see that I prefaced this entire conversation with “if you play games for the narrative”. You have other priorities, and that’s ok.
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Heh - but you will mess it up all the time because you will run to chapter x before even knowing about chapter c.

@achilles: obviously you've never played the games i mentioned before or Ultima 7.

PoE2 is open world, but still suffers from the “too many distractions” problem that *all* open world game have. Currently on my 4th playthrough and finally have a good idea of what needs to be ignored in order to keep a consistent narrative.

You can never have too much to do.  To each his own an all but having more to do than you could possibly want to complete gives a layer of immersion linear experiences simply do not have.  Being able to come back to a game time and time again and always having something new to be discovered is what keeps bringing me back to games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, or any recent fallout title for example.  You can say its a problem (and some agree) but that element is a huge draw for a lot of people also.

You can never have too much to do. To each his own an all but having more to do than you could possibly want to complete gives a layer of immersion linear experiences simply do not have. Being able to come back to a game time and time again and always having something new to be discovered is what keeps bringing me back to games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, or any recent fallout title for example. You can say its a problem (and some agree) but that element is a huge draw for a lot of people also.
Yeah. Some people really like that. Some people really like games for the story. Thank you for repeating it again.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I wouldn't mind if they teased a little more. :p

Indeed. Teasing is supposed to keep a person excited but there was so little in that teaser to actually be excited by. It revealed that SSS will contain at least one new map (which we could probably guess) and a new enemy that looks like an Engwithan Titan that's been set of fire.

• Like 3

Too bad my first two playthroughs were with a ranger/cipher and then a shifter/monk... So I'm sort of Galawained out.  My next character will likely be a mage/rogue... or berserker/paladin... I was thinking probably an adherent of Berath, and then one of Magran, in that order.  Not that gods which are all about death and warfare couldn't take a trip to an island to kill a bunch of stuff, I suppose ;)

Wael?  Well, know... puns intended ;)  I tried to read that little novel about Wael and just lost interest.  Seems like you would have to be a crazy person to put your faith in a diety like that.

"1 is 1"

You can never have too much to do. To each his own an all but having more to do than you could possibly want to complete gives a layer of immersion linear experiences simply do not have. Being able to come back to a game time and time again and always having something new to be discovered is what keeps bringing me back to games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, or any recent fallout title for example. You can say its a problem (and some agree) but that element is a huge draw for a lot of people also.

Yeah. Some people really like that. Some people really like games for the story. Thank you for repeating it again.

You can only push an open world so far before it necessitates a trade-off between properly telling a story and allowing your players to explore without boundaries. Deadfire already had troubles in this regard, and I wouldn't want Obs to try and push it even further: they'd never manage to give it the sense of freedom and discovery Bethesda perfected, and they'd end up cutting into the C&C, storytelling  and RP that have become their trademark

You don't play Skyrim for the roleplaying: it's possible and can definitely be enjoyable, but it requires a ****load of mods as the game offers little to no reactivity whatsoever, aside from guard comments.  Similarly, I'm fairly certain few people play deadfire because of the amazing open world: what drew most people in is the reactive C&C and storytelling, and the prospect of good tactical combat.

Leave open worlds to games like the TES series, Fallout, and Dragon's Dogma, who are more than enough to fulfill one's needs for unrestricted exploration. Obsidian shines when writing a reactive narrative, deeply interwoven with the characters and locations in-game. If that means restricting the players' freedom to make certain said narrative flows well, I'm all for it. it can only improve the C&C and RPing in their games.

Edited by Taevyr
  • Like 6

"Seeker, Slayer, Survivor" now has both a teaser and a release date: September 25th.

So the same date as the release of Pathfinder: Kingmaker? Not sure how to feel about that, it feels like an odd move to release it in the same date as what's likely Deadfire's most direct competitor all year.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

So the same date as the release of Psthfinder: Kingmaker? Not sure how to feel about that, it feels like an odd move to release it in the same date as what's likely Desdfire's most direct competitor all year.

I don't even know if I'll have finished Deadfire by then, but if I do, I'll do as usual and wait some time before playing a new release. But that is only me, of course.

• Like 3

sign.jpg

Yeah not mutually exclusive lol...

Except that they are. Your options are 1) play in the sandbox and throw narrative to wind or 2) chase the narrative and ignore the sandbox. There is no middle ground.

The point that I (and others) have tried to make is that while option 2 is available for narrative-focused players, it usually involves multiple (sometimes frustrating) playthroughs.

• Like 2

Except that they are. Your options are 1) play in the sandbox and throw narrative to wind or 2) chase the narrative and ignore the sandbox. There is no middle ground.

The point that I (and others) have tried to make is that while option 2 is available for narrative-focused players, it usually involves multiple (sometimes frustrating) playthroughs.

There is middle ground, and many games prove that.  If you want a straight narrative, from A to B, ok,  it's awful for a crpg unless you're playing a beat em up or a fps but ot each its own i guess, there are people who eat pizza with pineapple.

Even a pnp rpg camoaign is not devoid of freedom given to the players unless you're a bad master.

There is middle ground, and many games prove that.

I'd love to hear an example of one. 

If you want a straight narrative, from A to B, ok,  it's awful for a crpg unless you're playing a beat em up or a fps but ot each its own i guess, there are people who eat pizza with pineapple.

Your response here is either hyperbole or obtuse. An RPG doesn't have to be a death march to have a narrative. 

Even a pnp rpg camoaign is not devoid of freedom given to the players unless you're a bad master.

I can't even imagine where you were going with this, so I'm not sure how well I can respond. Perhaps an example will help:

Quite possibly the best (and by "best" perhaps I mean "worst") example of narrative vs sandbox is the original Mass Effect. The main quest is literally called "The Race Against Time", but the player is free to spend dozens of hours trying to dry hump rocks with a Mako while tracking down ancient (and completely irrelevant) Asari diary entries on small planets nowhere near the star system the antagonist was last seen. You may look at this and think that this amount of freedom is the greatest gift to gaming the world has ever seen. I look at it and see an example of a dev who wasted resources padding a game with a bunch of needless mechanics so that no one would notice how terrible the writing was. 

Edit: Fixing tags

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 2

I'd love to hear an example of one.

Fallout 2, Arcanum, Ultima 7, Gothic, Gothic 2, Ultima Underworld, Divine Divinity, Risen, Baldur's Gate...

Oh, nostalgia...

Back on topic... I don't remember if we already know who this guy is. Does anyone know?

deadfire_seekerslayersurvivor_screenshot

I don't know if that statue/construct has a name, but it is "Seeker, Slayer, Survivor", and we will see that three-creature motif elsewhere in the DLC.

Seeker (Spider), Slayer (Stelgaer), Survivor (Boar)

Edit: It's almost certainly Galawain/Toamowhai "sometimes called the Faces of the Hunt" per the cyclopedia.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 5

Galawain is known as the Seeker God, Father of Monsters and the Changeling. Among other things, his domain is Perseverance (Survivor).

Since the DLC is Galawain-themed it's not a far fetch to assume that this statue with its three faces depicts the Huana version of Galawain that has those three major aspects.

• Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods