Feargus has been known to want to do a big open world AAA game for years. He's spoken numerous times about personally wanting a POE spinoff of that sort.

Open-world has ended up diluting the really enjoyable bits of games like Witcher 3 in the recent past. Obsidian can do a good open world (see: FNV), but only by piggybacking existing engines and systems (see: FNV) - otherwise it would have to be the biggest project they've ever done, when they've struggled with scope management with almost every title they've ever released.

Yeah, I think I've become a little disillusioned with open worlds. They're cool in theory, but a lot of games fill them with essentially empty space, or the world feels empty because the amount people that really talk is low and the amount of response to you and your choices is minimal or nonexistent.

If Obsidian could pull something off like Fallout:New Vegas without killing themselves, that'd be amazing. I just wouldn't want them to do it because it's "the thing" to do/because other companies do it.

• Like 5

Feargus has been known to want to do a big open world AAA game for years. He's spoken numerous times about personally wanting a POE spinoff of that sort.

Open-world has ended up diluting the really enjoyable bits of games like Witcher 3 in the recent past. Obsidian can do a good open world (see: FNV), but only by piggybacking existing engines and systems (see: FNV) - otherwise it would have to be the biggest project they've ever done, when they've struggled with scope management with almost every title they've ever released.

Yeah, I think I've become a little disillusioned with open worlds. They're cool in theory, but a lot of games fill them with essentially empty space, or the world feels empty because the amount people that really talk is low and the amount of response to you and your choices is minimal or nonexistent.

If Obsidian could pull something off like Fallout:New Vegas without killing themselves, that'd be amazing. I just wouldn't want them to do it because it's "the thing" to do/because other companies do it.

I am completely burned out on these types of games.

Give me linearity or give me death!

• Like 1

nowt

I know there’s a lot of people at the studio who want to do something in the vein of an Elder Scrolls. So there’s a lot of things we’re kind of exploring for that.

I don't like they make POE become sandbox-type rpg. 

elder scroll have its advantage

but hope poe will not become more like it

unlikely to fit

• Like 3

I was expecting October anyway- BOW slipped from July into August, the only reason SSS wouldn't do the same is if they were rushing it. That suggests the third DLC will be out in early December, in time to get the whole package in a Christmas sale

Speaking of DLC2 info, this is just based on a quick glance at the text files but it's looking like there might be some reactivity between DLCs... very cool if so

• Like 1

Linear games are boring as hell, I would watch a movie instead. People also forgot (or don't know) that poe2 is open world just like arcanum and fallout 2 was.

Depends on what you expect from a game, I suppose. If you play for narrative, then sandbox games are a frustrating experience.
  • Like 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Linear games are boring as hell, I would watch a movie instead. People also forgot (or don't know) that poe2 is open world just like arcanum and fallout 2 was.

Depends on what you expect from a game, I suppose. If you play for narrative, then sandbox games are a frustrating experience.

but you can have narrative with an open world approach.

I've yet to see a sandbox game that conveys a compelling and urgent narrative better than a linear game with the same objective. It doesn't have to be either/or, btw - some of the best CRPG games have had linear narratives with exploration elements/worlds that open up in stages, which is the optimal mix imo. 

• Like 6

You can. You just have to be willing to sacrifice your first 6 playthroughs to find it.
  • Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Heh - but you will mess it up all the time because you will run to chapter x before even knowing about chapter c.

Are you kidding me i hope ;D

@achilles: obviously you've never played the games i mentioned before or Ultima 7.

PoE2 is open world, but still suffers from the “too many distractions” problem that *all* open world game have. Currently on my 4th playthrough and finally have a good idea of what needs to be ignored in order to keep a consistent narrative.
  • Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I think POE2 is great, definitely my favorite game right now, but I keep coming back to this idea that maybe it isn't open world enough ...

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Heh - but you will mess it up all the time because you will run to chapter x before even knowing about chapter c.

Are you kidding me i hope ;D

@achilles: obviously you've never played the games i mentioned before or Ultima 7.

PoE2 is open world, but still suffers from the “too many distractions” problem that *all* open world game have. Currently on my 4th playthrough and finally have a good idea of what needs to be ignored in order to keep a consistent narrative.

not my cup of tea, the best crpg i've played were open world by some degree.

I'd like an Eternity Soulslike. The setting gives a great setup for being trapped in an ancient Engwithan city full of ghosts and beasts

On one hand, yes it would be awesome.

On the other one, this exact theme is thoroughly explored by Souls Series. You're constantly in some ruined/abandoned city hunting souls, killing undead, demons and beasts. Sure, it's a bit different, but i doubt there's anything left to explore.

As much as i'd love new souls game, i don't think this is the way to do it.

If anything, this game could avoid "soul" stuff or at least make it uncommon. I am sick of being the Watcher, Deadfire would be much better story-wise if the PC was ordinary kith instead of Watcher.

Edited by Somnium_Meum