Not bisexual, but gay characters?

Are there any gay characters in Deadfire? I know some of the companions are bisexual. I'm not asking about bisexual characters. I only want to know if there are any exclusively homosexual characters in the game at all. Other than the Watcher of course.

This topic is not for discussing romance, playersexuality, or homophobes trying to argue against homosexuality. Any such off-topic attempts to derail this topic will be reported.
Edited by Beyond The Sea

Aloth mentions an attraction to the (female) animancer he was working with no matter the gender of the Watcher. And it seems he was not interested in the fellow at the Wild Mare; that was Iselmyr trying to stir things up (which is why he "confused the poor fellow").

• Like 5

Aloth mentions an attraction to the (female) animancer he was working with no matter the gender of the Watcher. And it seems he was not interested in the fellow at the Wild Mare; that was Iselmyr trying to stir things up (which is why he "confused the poor fellow").

To me, it felt like he had more of a friendship, rather than attraction, to the animancer on Port Maje, and Iselmyr does mention that while he was in school with the dancer in the Wild Mare, that it was the only time Aloth "was fingering something other than his spellybooks".

Edit: Also, I mentioned a female Watcher because he is a possible Romance option for the Watcher.

Edited by anathanielh

"'Twas a right fierce labor gettin' the lad to finger any flesh that weren't covering covering his spellybooks," is what she says. And he says, "I can see where I may have confused the poor fellow in my academy days." So it sounds like Iselmyr was pushing him on various people, he fought it, and poor Ymir ended up in the middle with no idea what was going on.

And he was friends with Benessa because, as he says with some regret, he "realized there could be nothing between us." Y'know, since he was lying and spying on her and all.

In any case, there's no reason to think Aloth's sexuality changes depending on the Watcher's gender. He likes guy Watchers and gal Watchers - if you can finally work him around to admitting it :grin:

Edited by Tarlonniel
  • Like 3

"'Twas a right fierce labor gettin' the lad to finger any flesh that weren't covering covering his spellybooks," is what she says. And he says, "I can see where I may have confused the poor fellow in my academy days." So it sounds like Iselmyr was pushing him on various people, he fought it, and poor Ymir ended up in the middle with no idea what was going on.

And he was friends with Benessa because, as he says with some regret, he "realized there could be nothing between us." Y'know, since he was lying and spying on her and all.

In any case, there's no reason to think Aloth's sexuality changes depending on the Watcher's gender. He likes guy Watcher and gal Watchers - if you can finally work him around to admitting it :grin:

Thanks for the clarification. You make some fair points, friend. I guess Maneha is the only one I can think of then.

Maia implies a preference for women at some point but is definitely bisexual.

Off topic, but I think Eder is the only heterosexual.

Pallegina is a lesbian. She doesn't want to pursue any romantic relationships though.

Wait, is that stated somewhere? I got the strong vibe that she wasn't interested or comfortable with relationships in the party, but her actual sexuality never came up for me.

There's also one ending slide that has a lot of Vailians speculate on her relationship with the Ducess Spirento.

Their close relationship causes friction with the ducess' husband, the Canta Miraba. His impotent annoyance becomes the subject of courtly gossip and the inspiration for a well-received farce staged at the biggest theatre in Ozia.

I can't say if it's implying anything, or just a rumour though.

• Like 2

Isn't the questgiver in the basement of the RDC supposed to be? There's a lot of lines about him being "different"

Atsura? I think he's just psycho

He asked my female Watcher if she was hitting on him and when she said no he commented that that was good because it would be a complication or something like that. He gave me the impression that he wouldn't mind a relationship with a woman, but he was not interested at the moment.

sign.jpg

I think it's subtext. Or I used to think it's subtext right until this moment, now I have doubts. She reacts differently if a woman flirts with her (flustered when Maneha hits on her, annoyed when Aloth/Iselmyr say "fetching feathers, lass"), then there's this one ending with rumors about her and Ducess' relationship, lastly, how she reacts to a female Watcher vs male Watcher when they try to flirt with her one time. For men: ""Don't get ridiculous ideas. You'll only embarrass yourself." She makes a shooing motion with her hand." and for women: "Pallegina's head leans back and she observes you with a mix of annoyance and confusion. "I didn't ask for your opinion." Her sour expression softens after a moment." So... she doesn't want a relationship and any sort of suggestion of it makes her angry, that's clear. Her reaction when it comes from a woman is softer. But it's not conclusive.

• Like 3

Isn't the questgiver in the basement of the RDC supposed to be? There's a lot of lines about him being "different"

Atsura? I think he's just psycho

He asked my female Watcher if she was hitting on him and when she said no he commented that that was good because it would be a complication or something like that. He gave me the impression that he wouldn't mind a relationship with a woman, but he was not interested at the moment.

Atsura is definitely an advanced psycho.

I think it's subtext. Or I used to think it's subtext right until this moment, now I have doubts. She reacts differently if a woman flirts with her (flustered when Maneha hits on her, annoyed when Aloth/Iselmyr say "fetching feathers, lass"), then there's this one ending with rumors about her and Ducess' relationship, lastly, how she reacts to a female Watcher vs male Watcher when they try to flirt with her one time. For men: ""Don't get ridiculous ideas. You'll only embarrass yourself." She makes a shooing motion with her hand." and for women: "Pallegina's head leans back and she observes you with a mix of annoyance and confusion. "I didn't ask for your opinion." Her sour expression softens after a moment." So... she doesn't want a relationship and any sort of suggestion of it makes her angry, that's clear. Her reaction when it comes from a woman is softer. But it's not conclusive.

Oh! That makes a lot of sense with those details. Definitely could be hinting that.

Interesting. My current Watcher was quite offensive to Pallegina*, so she never tried to hit on her. I wouldn't find out about her reactions any time soon.

* See here:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/101402-are-the-companions-really-that-bland/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2059456

sign.jpg

Pallegina is an interesting case. I've read somewhere (wiki i think) that godlikes are considered genderless, due to their sterility. I feel like right now as of 2 games, sexuality isn't applicable to her all, so you can't really call her by any definitions. Her only love is for Republics, nothing else. She may have a preference somewhere deep inside, being in the male-only order and all, but I feel like you never see it. And I am too afraid to flirt with her to find out :D

As for the OP question. I believe I saw some characters that I thought were gay, but I don't remember 100%. The Innkeep Gyntel (Wild Mare) gets kinda flustered with Tekehu when you bring him for the first time and have a conversation about his shenanigans. But again I haven't encountered other situations with him to be sure.

Edited by Aridea
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Godlikes are considered genderless in Vailian culture. Or maybe just afab godlikes aren't considered really women because they are infertile, I can't remember. This comes from conversations with Pallegina back in PoE. It may be different in other cultures; Tekehu is Huana and the problem of gender never comes up with him, neither with Vatnir who is a member of one of the Glamfellen clans. Also gender =/= sexual orientation. Kinda different topic.

Also I never actually flirted with Pallegina in Deadfire because it felt wrong. Did it only for science :d. And because Josh Sawyer mentioned on tumblr that Pallegina has different dialogue lines for a female Watcher so ofc I had to check if it applies in this specific dialogues and well it does.

• Like 2

And I am too afraid to flirt with her to find out :D

Also I never actually flirted with Pallegina in Deadfire because it felt wrong. Did it only for science :d

Poor Pallegina. She probably had so many people afraid or uncomfortable with her that when the Watcher actually flirts with her she won't even realize what is going on. Bullies or false dating pranks may have left her traumatized too.

sign.jpg

For context, you can flirt with her after she just told you that she was suicidal and couldn't accept her own body. And then you can be all smiling seductively and tell her how perfect she is. It feels like bad timing. That's what I meant.

Edited by handsomenat
  • Like 3

Godlikes are considered genderless in Vailian culture. Or maybe just afab godlikes aren't considered really women because they are infertile, I can't remember.

Godlikes are not considered either a woman or a man because of their inability to procreate; this is not tied to culture, but to law. It's why Pallegina can be a part of the Frermas des Canc Suolias: Legally, she's not a woman.

Which raises an interesting question: Is their charter worded so that only men are allowed to join or that no women may join?

For context, you can flirt with her after she just told you that she was suicidal and couldn't accept her own body. And then you can be all smiling seductively and tell her how perfect she is. It feels like bad timing. That's what I meant.

Considering the whole biawac thing, Caed Nua blowing up, and a bunch of other happenings in the game, it seems like ‘bad timing’ is what the watcher excels at.

• Like 1