Hey guys, 

So, I really like Lord Darryn's Voulge for a couple of different reasons. 

1. I think the enchantment on it is pretty neat, even if they did nerf it a fair bit so it doesn't cause a localized nuclear strike on every enemy on the screen (Seriously, that thing wound up killing ME when I was playing a Marauder). Plus it has a small chance to proc Lightning Strikes. 

2. It's one of the few weapons that has an elemental damage type associated with it - Slash/Shock, and part of me just thinks that's really cool. 

3. Aesthetically, it has some nice particle effects associated with its effect - it can electrocute enemies into piles of dust. 

4. I like the lore associated with it. 

But people have said that it, like other weapons that have similar effects, is only good when used with Heart of Fury from the Barbarian; and since I want to play a Swashbuckler or a Brute, I wouldn't have access to that (Unless I used a mod to make it available at PL7 or something, but that's cheating). 

My question is this - is it truly only able to be used to its full potential with that skill? 

Yeah, thank you for confirming.

I'm always tempted to go back to my initial Berserker Voulge builds. Always uncertain which build to go with though. Berserk/Helwalker? - nah, too squishy. Berserk/Streetfighter? - maybe, but can't always end up with the Streetfighter, right? Maybe Brute? Or maybe pure? That'd be a novelty that could actually work.

Edited by Haplok

I'm always tempted to go back to my initial Berserker Voulge builds. Always uncertain which build to go with though. Berserk/Helwalker? - nah, too squishy. Berserk/Streetfighter? - maybe, but can't always end up with the Streetfighter, right? Maybe Brute? Or maybe pure? That'd be a novelty that could actually work.

I'm a big fan of berserker streetfighter. Dump might, max per and con, leave dex flat, and use the rest for int and res (10 to 14). I'm running a character like that with the voulge and she is a beast.

It may seem odd dumping might, but it makes your self inflicted damage less, and you have a ton of damage bonuses for weapon damage thanks to streetfighter. 5 is good so you end up at 10 with frenzy.

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm currently using a streetfighter. most OP class ever. But now I'm using dual Blunderbusses, don't feel like switching all the time with melee weapons. There are other ways (including getting blooded, which should be easy), but maybe something else.

Hmm, maybe Berserk/Trickster would work? Far less damage and speed, but still some nice damage boosts, awesome abilities like Finishing/Devastating Blow and Repulsive Visage 

to have everyone around tremble with fear would be pretty cool.

Edited by Haplok

In a party you can play everything. Pure Berserker and nearly every other single class has just not enough ressources to down the BoW dragon solo.

Hmm, I'm currently using a streetfighter. most OP class ever. But now I'm using dual Blunderbusses, don't feel like switching all the time with melee weapons. There are other ways (including getting blooded, which should be easy), but maybe something else.

Hmm, maybe Berserk/Trickster would work? Far less damage and speed, but still some nice damage boosts, awesome abilities like Finishing/Devastating Blow and Repulsive Visage 

Barbarian can terrify by itself with Spirit Tornado, which also does damage and only costs 1 rage.

Barbarian can terrify by itself with Spirit Tornado, which also does damage and only costs 1 rage.

Good point.

At Power Level VII though. I generally don't think about such late abilities much. I want to have usefull skills when I play the game, not when I finish it. Although that's still reasonable on a pure Barb I guess.

But Trickster would add his own bag of tricks: be more tanky and able to cause significantly more damage (with sneak, abilities like Devastating Blow and eventually Deathblows).

Eh, well, better not to think too much. Focus... My current Streetfighter / Sharpshooter finally reached level 13. That's the furthest I got so far...

Edited by Haplok

• 1 month later...

Since the Voulge only binds with Barb, Druid and Fighter single class Monk is out. :)

Berseker or Berseker/Something is only cool if you remove confusion - else you will be constantly stunned by your own Storms. However, this can be good if you are using Deltro's Helmet (and Cage) to first cast some shocking spell onto yourself (thing of Berserker/Fury with Dancing Bolts), then remove confusion with switching to Modwyr and back to Voulge and cast Storms and such. But it's a bit of a hassle.

It also levels differently if you bind it with the Druid class or not. For example you don't get the bonus to Storm Power Levels if you bind it to Barbarian or Fighter. Having said that - I personally think the Storm spells don't scale exceptionally well with PL - so one can skip that without being gimped too much.

My guess would be that a single class Barb might be the best pick for the Voulge if you want to attack with it in melee and not merely use it as a PL buff trinket only (like you would on a single class Fury or so). Static Charge works with Carnage and I can imagine that it works very well with Heart of Fury (which generates a lot of Carnage hits).

Or maybe single class Devoted with Clear Out + upgrades? Also sounds nice...

I never tested if Static Charge works with Torment's Reach though. If it does Barb/Monk may be great as well. I'm a big fan of Berserker/Nalpasca... 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods