Lord Darryn's Voulge or Oathbreaker's End - From a pure aesthetics/fun perspective?

Hey guys, 

So, I'm trying to decide between Oathbreaker's End and Lord Darryn's Voulge for my battleaxe using tank Watcher. I know neither of them are particularly min-max, what with two-handed weapons being (somewhat) weaker than one-handed weapons because of how Full Attacks work, but I feel like dual-wielding in this game, especially if you're playing as a Fighter/Rogue or Fighter/Barbarian, is a bit overrated. 

That said, I don't really think there are many weapons in this game that /aren't/ viable, so my decision here largely comes down to the following. 

1. Ease of access

2. How fun the weapon is to use

3. Which weapon looks the best when used

Hey guys, 

So, I'm trying to decide between Oathbreaker's End and Lord Darryn's Voulge for my battleaxe using tank Watcher. I know neither of them are particularly min-max, what with two-handed weapons being (somewhat) weaker than one-handed weapons because of how Full Attacks work, but I feel like dual-wielding in this game, especially if you're playing as a Fighter/Rogue or Fighter/Barbarian, is a bit overrated. 

That said, I don't really think there are many weapons in this game that /aren't/ viable, so my decision here largely comes down to the following. 

1. Ease of access

I don't think Lord Darryn's Volgue will be good without Heart of Fury and you can get that only with a pure barbarian (the only good choice is berserker tho). And there is Grave Calling just better with the perma paralyze you get.

Edited by baldurs_gate_2

Hey guys, 

1. Ease of access

I don't think Lord Darryn's Volgue will be good without Heart of Fury and you can get that only with a pure barbarian (the only good choice is berserker tho). And there is Grave Calling just better with the perma paralyze you get.

Hmm... Is that so? That's a shame. I really like it from a VFX standpoint. 

Hey guys, 

1. Ease of access

Hmm... Is that so? That's a shame. I really like it from a VFX standpoint. 

But a pure barbarian is not as good as a rogue on single target. So he will have big troubles vs. the BoW dragons. A multiclass with rogue has to be, at least when you play it solo. If not, nobody really cares, because you have plenty of ressources.

Vouge is certainly synergizes well with almost any barbarian build imo. The battleaxe is going to come quite late so consider if your willing to wait that long. If you are willing to consider Estocs then there are a couple very good options that are not very difficult to obtain. I have not tried it personally but I always thought Eager Blade would be very good on a Brute build. You can pump hit to crit very high to help proc the sword's abilities, and combining Devoted and Berserker will give you absurdly high penetration to make sure your hits really count. You could also use Reckless Brigadine to increase action speed even more, or DoC BP to prevent Berserker penalty and give a very nice +2 resources. Armored Grace, combined with barbarian skills and the speed enhancments from the armor and eager blade will make you very fast. Major healing from Fighter abilities and Savage Defiance. It looks really strong on paper at least, but as I said I haven't taken a build such as this very high. I'd just make sure you have a companion that can contribute healing if you want to face tank with this guy.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

1. Ease of access

Static Charge works with Carnage, so the Voulge is plenty good with a Barbarian.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 month later...

I haven't tried Oathbreaker's End, but I love Lord Darryn's Voulge on my Devoted/Berserker (bound to the barbarian side). Just for clarity, note that you mentioned "battleaxe" and LDV is a poleaxe.

Edit: And you can get it very early. Just raise the rank of your sailors a bit, save the game right before heading into the storm, and read the current status of the storm and the tooltips for the actions you can take, to match the actions to the current status. You should be able to make it through without losing any sailors, though you may need to re-load and try again.

Edited by jww
  • Like 1

I haven't tried Oathbreaker's End, but I love Lord Darryn's Voulge on my Devoted/Berserker (bound to the barbarian side). Just for clarity, note that you mentioned "battleaxe" and LDV is a poleaxe.

Edit: And you can get it very early. Just raise the rank of your sailors a bit, save the game right before heading into the storm, and read the current status of the storm and the tooltips for the actions you can take, to match the actions to the current status. You should be able to make it through without losing any sailors, though you may need to re-load and try again.

Yeah, I will choose poleaxe or battleaxe for Gimli as Devoted/Barbarian. How does the damage compare to 2H - and did you play on PotD? I am a bit nervous about the high penetration requirement of PotD, because Darryn's top out at Superb, not Legendary.

Yeah, I will choose poleaxe or battleaxe for Gimli as Devoted/Barbarian. How does the damage compare to 2H - and did you play on PotD? I am a bit nervous about the high penetration requirement of PotD, because Darryn's top out at Superb, not Legendary.

I'm playing PotD, and I haven't run into any problems so far.

I'm at work, so I can't remember exactly, but I think fully upgraded, LDV for a Devoted is base 14 PEN, not counting food or active abilities? But that's dual slash/shock. Usually when enemies have ludicrously high armor values, it'll be for one or two damage types, often slash/pierce. Berserker gets +2 PEN with Frenzy, so I'm at 16 during tough fights, and I can't think of many (any?) enemies who would have more than 16 armor on both slash and shock. And if you use the food that raises you another two points...

Plus, standard poleaxe is slash/crush, so I keep a second poleaxe in my other weapon slot, giving me three different damage types while still maintaining Devoted bonuses. Generally if an enemy has high slash and/or pierce armor, their crush armor will be lower.

Edit: Regarding damage compared to dual-wield, I stopped worrying about that after the 2.1 nerfs to dual-wielding. In most martial builds, dual-wielding is probably still better, but to be honest, I've gotten kind of tired of dual-wielding. It's possible LDV + Carnage + Static Shock makes up for the difference, but I don't have any math to show one way or the other, and I'm not really concerned about it.

Edited by jww
  • Like 1

I'm at work, so I can't remember exactly, but I think fully upgraded, LDV for a Devoted is base 14 PEN, not counting food or active abilities? But that's dual slash/shock. Usually when enemies have ludicrously high armor values, it'll be for one or two damage types, often slash/pierce. Berserker gets +2 PEN with Frenzy, so I'm at 16 during tough fights, and I can't think of many (any?) enemies who would have more than 16 armor on both slash and shock. And if you use the food that raises you another two points...

Plus, standard poleaxe is slash/crush, so I keep a second poleaxe in my other weapon slot, giving me three different damage types while still maintaining Devoted bonuses. Generally if an enemy has high slash and/or pierce armor, their crush armor will be lower.

Hmm, I thought Darryn's is actually slash/crush/lightning. Now I am having second thoughts, especially because the only other poleaxe is Wahai Poraga, and that looks pretty bad for single target DPS.

Hmm, I thought Darryn's is actually slash/crush/lightning. Now I am having second thoughts, especially because the only other poleaxe is Wahai Poraga, and that looks pretty bad for single target DPS.

You would so rarely need to use a backup weapon, I wouldn't worry about it. I've just got a regular 'Fine' poleaxe in my second slot, and so far I've never bothered using it.

Yeah, I believe you're overthinking it. I've played trough a large portion of the game with a single damage type devoted (estoc) and it was fine. Sure Estoc has high Pen, but LDV should be fine.

But high Penetration won't matter versus pure immunes, no?

By the way, how do you compare Darryn's Voulge vs. the Amra Axe as for PotD on a Barbarian/Fighter or Barbarian/Ranger hybrid?

Yeah, I believe you're overthinking it. I've played trough a large portion of the game with a single damage type devoted (estoc) and it was fine. Sure Estoc has high Pen, but LDV should be fine.

By the way, how do you compare Darryn's Voulge vs. the Amra Axe as for PotD on a Barbarian/Fighter or Barbarian/Ranger hybrid?

Amra only becomes better once it is Legendary/Mythical grade until then LDV is better. Amra slightly better as Legendary to LDV but only on single target , on multitarget ldv is still better even there. At Mythical vs superior sure there is no question Amra overtakes it.  

• Like 1

But you don't run into immunes much. When you do, it's not a huge deal to switch to a blunt weapon.

As for the comparison, difficult to say. LDV is very cool on a Barbarian. But I also like Amra's effects a lot, particularly aoe killing enemies below 50 hp on crit. It's really nice to trigger on kill effects, such as fighters Cleaving Stance or barbarians blood thirst.

• Like 1

But you don't run into immunes much. When you do, it's not a huge deal to switch to a blunt weapon.

As for the comparison, difficult to say. LDV is very cool on a Barbarian. But I also like Amra's effects a lot, particularly aoe killing enemies below 50 hp on crit. It's really nice to trigger on kill effects, such as fighters Cleaving Stance or barbarians blood thirst.

I did not consider the on-kill effects. Hmm, I am leaning toward Amra now. What's your preference personally?

Amra only becomes better once it is Legendary/Mythical grade until then LDV is better. Amra slightly better as Legendary to LDV but only on single target , on multitarget ldv is still better even there. At Mythical vs superior sure there is no question Amra overtakes it.  

So it partly depends on how available Adra Bans and the Mythical ingredient will be...

Eh, tough to say. Single damage type without a high base (like Amra) seems like it could be an issue sometimes. On the other hand in the first DLC you get another very good 2h battleaxe (Oathbreaker's) and now in the 2nd another nice one-handed. So there is a fair bit of choice.

Pollaxes, you're mostly limited to LDV. Which admittedly is a very cool weapon in the hands of a Barbarian. Very atmospheric too.

I'd advise you to make a custom adventurer in the tavern (as I understand you have a level 16 party, that's plenty, I test my chars at 13), arm him with both (upgraded) and get a feel which you like more.

Yes testing builds vs some bounties can give you better idea about what you like most.

Apart from that i fell in love with amra after using it vs bosses with a devoted/hellwalker. With modal active you deal SO MUCH dmg ( thks to +10 might, +10 int).

Note that you can even be a devoted and choose pollaxe as a weapon and use amra vs bosses nontheless, since you get -10 acc, but guarduan of ukaizo and lich dragon have about ~60 deflection even on potd, so the accuracy malus is not so important imho.