Sign in to follow this  
Bokishi

Nvidia RTX Series

I thought the intel gpu was more of a server, AI, possibly Stadia/Apple oriented thing. I really doubt it will compete with Nvidia on performance or Radeon on cost/SOC uses. Though it will be an interesting shakeup whatever it is.

If the hardware landscape isn't quite where I want it by the time 2077 launches, I might just hold off a bit longer. CDPR is great at supporting their games and playing with the expansions and patches would be a nicer experience. But it's certainly the game that I would be building the rig for regardless unless some other surprises get announced from now until it's launch.

Intel says they are going for a full suite approach to graphics cards, so everything from server to pro to consumer entries. I doubt they'll be a competitive factor short term and I suspect they may well run into legal issues as well (barriers are less to entry than for entry into the x86 CPU sphere, but there are still a lot of overbroad patents from nVidia and AMD to run afoul of). Plus Raja over promised and under delivered at AMD, albeit for a division he says was being strip mined to boost Zen development.

On the question of 2070S vs 5700XT, I'll probably have something to say later in the day. The NDA came off here at 2 am so I haven't seen any comparative benchmarks at all. I suspect Keyrock has it pretty right though, given the non 3rd party benchmarks floating around.

I went ahead and got a 5700XT and Ryzen 9 3900x and a new X570 mobo with most of the bells and maybe half of the whistles. It helped that my friendly local computer store was selling everything 50 bucks under MSRP.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/6/19

I'm thinking about upgrading my 1800x to a 3900x, don't know if my MB will take it though, I think somehting was fubar from factory since all the LED died on it. It seemingly worked like normal though so I never bothered to return it, thinking about buying a MB and CPU, flashing the old one and see if it works then possibly returning the MB.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So.. the first time in 10+ years I've gone with Nvidia again (since AMD hasn't released anything competitive in the upper echelon of GPU's) and my GPU died on me.

It was an ASUS GTX 1080Ti Turbo.. and it cost something like $800+ (don't actually remember). It didn't even last two years.

Luckily it's still under warranty so I just sent it back to the store. My old AMD card is still running without problems in my cousin's computer and that's twice as old.

I dislike everything about Nvidia except the performance. The way they make proprietary hardware (G-Sync) to raise the prices, the way they make you log into ****ing Facebook for their GPU drivers, the way their drivers are HALF A ****ING GIGABYTE that you need to update twice per month, the way they always make new technology locked to their own hardware (RTX, hairworks, etc).. and the absolutely ****ty quality their third party manufacturers have to build to try to keep their prices below at least $1000.

I can't wait for AMD to get back into the top end GPU segment. Holy ****.

• Thanks 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Not worth considering a 5700?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Posted (edited)

I've bought only EVGA for a long while now and they've all lasted longer, in terms of still running, than my PC's. I think the one Nvidia that didn't wasn't an EVGA (and wasn't a top tier Nvidia either). EVGA's software is meh but they seem sturdy, at least for the higher tiers vs. low budget.

You may have mentioned the Facebook thing before but I forget why you feel you must do it. Something about Experience maybe? Because I haven't had to ever do that to just d/l the drivers. I just go to nvidia's driver page. 

Nvidia prices are definitely redonkulous tho, even if one uses a 4-8 year turnover.

Edited by LadyCrimson

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As I have mentioned in the past I am loving my RTX 2080 Ti, I am playing Metro Exodus at the moment and I can run the game at maximum settings :thumbsup:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 10/2/2019 at 3:43 PM, LadyCrimson said:

I've bought only EVGA for a long while now and they've all lasted longer, in terms of still running, than my PC's.

Agreed, I'm also a fan of EVGA and only buy their stuff and I've never had an issue (in fact I just upgraded my 1080Ti KingPin to the 2080Ti version, now I just need to get the waterlock and add it into the loop).

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
-H. H. Munro

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot