Nvidia RTX Series

Bokishi

Drought as a reason for shortages and price hikes for microchips? Reminds me of the price fixing shenanigans with RAM a few years back where all the producers had weird 'problems' simultaneously. TSMC is definitely in the price gouging phase of market dominance, and probably will be until Apple buys GloFo or something.

Samsung have zero Taiwan fabs and even the assemblers/ AIBs based in RoC actually assemble almost everything in PRC, so it shouldn't be a problem for nVidia anyway. AMD's problem is still MSony having coordinated their console releases and taking up 80% of their fab space. Fundamentally of course the problem is that inflated prices benefit everyone in the production chain, so long as they're being bought at the end still. I'd expect a lot more odd explanations of price rises until someone decides to look at price fixing. Whereupon, miraculously, the problems will clear up.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 2

I feel like I've heard this story before...several times.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 1 month later...

nVidia's ARM acquisition may be in trouble after Her Majesty's Government announces a Public Interest Intervention on national security grounds.

May be genuine, though the grounds seems a bit odd with nVidia being a US company; or it may just be the political equivalent of "nice little business deal you've got there, would be a shame if someone stopped it..." and the UK wanting to leverage some guarantees about employment and investment.

• Gasp! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pressure from my Genshin Impact daughter and her upcoming birthday, means I am now in the market for a GPU, preferably a 3080. Last week, I subscribed myself to a European PC hardware store, and I got a message today the cards I'm looking for would be available today at 1400. Unfortunately I only noticed that at 1410, which was way too late. Their website was already buckling under the weight of a bunch of nerds frantically clicking refresh. In any case, the 3080 was already gone, but a few 3070s appear to still be available. Unfortunately, I can't even login.

Well, as I wrote that, the site came back online and, obviously, even the 3070s are gone. Let's see if I'm on my toes next time.

By the way, no, my daughter ain't getting a 3080 for her birthday. She'd get my current 980 ti and some sort of budgety ryzen system which she scoped out herself, which is already an unbelievable luxury by my standards. To play at 1080p too. What is she running right now? my old q6600 with a GTX 580. Oh, yes, some nice classical gaming. It was fine for Minecraft but, for some mystical reason, she is complaining about hitches in a 2020 game. What could the problem be?

• Haha 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

47 minutes ago, Sarex said:

You monster. 😄

She's the one who doesn't want to play Witcher 2 and Call of Pripyat. I'm sure she'd enjoy Alpha Protocol too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Heja Sverige!!

2 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

There's priorities, I truly admire anyone who can make do on rusty hardware.

Honestly, I really appreciate not having a cutting edge PC growing up. If I had, I would never use DOSBox, nor discovered some real classics. I gave a try to UFO: Enemy Unknown, Pirates!, Another World, Flashback, Deus Ex, Thief1&2, Systemshock2, and much much more purely out of necessity. 

• Like 3

Today at 14:00, the shop opened for a 3070. I was there on time. clicking "Buy" 0 seconds in. Gateway timeout immediately.

Edit: 5 minutes later the cards are gone.

• Sad 2

Heja Sverige!!

2 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Today at 14:00, the shop opened for a 3070. I was there on time. clicking "Buy" 0 seconds in. Gateway timeout immediately.

Edit: 5 minutes later the cards are gone.

Oi, @Pidesco

You really need to check your PM's. Liek nau 😂

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 5 weeks later...

that 3080ti still feels tasty (if you don't already have a 3080 of course), although it would've been even tastier if it was $1000 instead of $1200 (or, I bet, $1400+ for EVGA ftw) ... and if one could get one near that list price any time before 2023.

Only 1 more vram than my 2080ti tho, and a lot more power consumption at gaming load.

...I'll just have to console any jealous feelings with the idea that the 40xx or 50xx will even that much better for my (hopefully native/no DLSS needed) 4k/60 gaming one day. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Atleast nVidia didn't have the gall to charge 50% extra for the 2080 Super 😂

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

From what I saw, the 3080 might average 10-12fps more for a lot of 4k gaming over what I have (which is why it was seen as a "great deal" for the original $700(?)retail price).  The 3080ti being maybe 5-10% better than that, for that much more, is rather absurd.  At least the 2080ti was something more like 25-30% more than the 2080, I think? Correct me if I'm way off. At any rate don't know why a gamer would want to replace a 3080 with the ti version like I see some scrambling to try and do, but many people are rarely logical. Or they're all scalpers.  >.>  

I'm just sitting around praying my 2080ti won't randomly break for at least a few more years - the longer the better ofc. I guess I still have the 980ti in my old rig if I get desperate but...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 5 weeks later...

Gotta love the fact that I build an ITX for the first time in my life and immediately ALL GPU's grow 5 cm in length (2 inches) and refuse to fit in my beautiful little ITX case. 😠

Also, it seems they discontinued the blower style cards that I love (they were 26,8 cm, perfect for my case).

GEE THANKS, GPU MAKERS

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It largely comes down to cooling. GPUs are sucking more and more power and thus producing more and more heat which requires better (read: bigger) cooling solutions.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

7 hours ago, Keyrock said:

It largely comes down to cooling. GPUs are sucking more and more power and thus producing more and more heat which requires better (read: bigger) cooling solutions.

It wasn't always like that, I believe there was a time when GPU tech increases could coexist with thermal and power consumption remaining the same (relatively).

I think it just boils down to lack of architecture innovation over the last few years, and the natural consequence being bulkier, hotter, and phatter power requirements.

Technological innovation is extremely difficult so I don't mind cutting them some slack but hopefully sooner rather than later we'll see improvements in the performance vs. power + heat department.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Keyrock said:

more and more heat which requires better (read: bigger) cooling solutions.

So I'll need two AC units, then? :shifty:

• 3 weeks later...

So my daughter's GPU appears to have finally died, putting pressure on me to upgrade her PC ASAP. After following prices daily for a few months, I really am loathe to pay a 50% premium on a GPU, especially now that prices seem to be slowly going down. Also her and my wife are lobbying me to just buy a prebuilt (the humanity) as there are a few Intel based acer computers with 3070s currently available for about 16000 SEK. It still is overpriced. It just appears not to be because the market went insane.

Basically, I really want to wait like a month, at least but, obviously, I understand the kid's plight. The prat.

Heja Sverige!!

10 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

So my daughter's GPU appears to have finally died, putting pressure on me to upgrade her PC ASAP. After following prices daily for a few months, I really am loathe to pay a 50% premium on a GPU, especially now that prices seem to be slowly going down. Also her and my wife are lobbying me to just buy a prebuilt (the humanity) as there are a few Intel based acer computers with 3070s currently available for about 16000 SEK. It still is overpriced. It just appears not to be because the market went insane.

Basically, I really want to wait like a month, at least but, obviously, I understand the kid's plight. The prat.

Get her a PS5...oh wait...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

16 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

I can lend you my Vega 64 until you get her sorted?

It's a 300w card though...

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I can lend you my Vega 64 until you get her sorted?

It's a 300w card though...

She'll be getting my 980 ti anyway, and I'll need to get her a new PSU first. In any case I'd still need to buy a new mobo cpu ram combo for her. You wouldn't mind?

I don't have anything to offer in return other than a dead 580 GTX and a 460 GTX(also dead).

Heja Sverige!!

1 hour ago, Pidesco said:

She'll be getting my 980 ti anyway, and I'll need to get her a new PSU first. In any case I'd still need to buy a new mobo cpu ram combo for her. You wouldn't mind?

I don't have anything to offer in return other than a dead 580 GTX and a 460 GTX(also dead).

Nema problema 😃

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Won a Newegg shuffle for a 3070 TI yesterday, but forgot to check my email in the 3 hour slot. Whoops. I wouldn't have bought it for myself anyways (I have literally no need of it), but I'm quite certain that I know someone that would've. Oh well.

• Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.