Nvidia RTX Series

Bokishi

No way to know with any confidence. Hopper is still a fair way out and would be expected to slip somewhat if it really is a MCM design since that's likely to have teething problems. 2 years seems to be a reasonable estimate, I'd suspect maybe a bit longer.

Sub generational there's likely to be an Ampere refresh at some point maybe a year after Ampere's initial release, ie around 9 months away. That's assuming AMD is releasing RDNA3 as scheduled.

I can't imagine 40xx being released before mid-late 2022.  Dec.2021 seems like it'd more something the ... 3090ti?  A new 3580MegaNukeTI?  🤔

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/76967/nvidias-next-gen-ad102-gpu-rtx-4090-twice-as-fast-the-3090/index.html

I think we'll see the AD102 on Samsung's new 5nm node as the GeForce RTX 40 series -- sometime later next year to battle RDNA 3 and the Radeon RX 7000 series graphics cards in 2021.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

kopite7kimi does seem to think that Lovelace (AD102) will be 4000 series rather than 3x50 or supers, and he's usually accurate. Probably Q1 2022 is the realistic estimate, though it would depend on how much if any actual improvement it will have over Ampere and no doubt they'd like to have them available for xmas/ NH winter as that's big season.

Presumably Hopper would then be 5000 series, perhaps a year after that.

Samsung '5nm' is a bit of a punt though. It's an iteration/ rebranding of their 7nm process much as '8nm' is an iteration/ rebranding of their 10nm, done because neither of the parent nodes are very good at all. Last I checked there was literally one customer for Samsung's 7nm due to teething problems, and it was Samsung themselves. If ~19000 CUDA cores, ie +80% over Ampere, is accurate that's going to be an absolutely massive chip even if they've done it by moving from doubling on Ampere to tripling up on per core resources/ dependencies, and on a hot and unreliable node. But it can't be TSMC 5nm as Apple has that booked out, and AMD is buying every available wafer on 7nm.

Slightly OT, but the US government would have been far better off paying Global Foundries to make a 7nm plant in Arizona than getting TSMC to make one. Top end fabrication is now a near monopoly, and GloFo's (well, really IBM's) 7nm process was actually better than TSMC's, they just couldn't get financing for it.

• Thanks 1

As a "layperson" I have three criteria: I can play games the way I want/mixture of settings I want, the hardware doesn't have a big risk of catching on fire, and it won't increase electric bill by $200 just to have it idle.  :shifty:

GPU stuff is changing so fast/seems so up in the air it makes the whole "wait or buy" syndrome far worse than usual, especially re: 4k/60 gaming and especially with the cost of gpu's these days.  I mean, maybe only a year between 4xxx and 5xxx? I know, that's just far flung guesswork now, but ... maybe I'll just quit gaming for a few years.  :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

4000 series will definitely be hot and power hungry judging by the leaks, possibly even more so than Ampere is. I'd personally suspect that Hopper will slip further and it will be more than a year between them. I would have thought a 2080Ti would be fine at very least until late next year.

Lovelace almost certainly wasn't planned until quite recently, so it's likely to be a bit of a stopgap. Doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a good value stopgap though.

On 12/29/2020 at 3:26 PM, Zoraptor said:

I would have thought a 2080Ti would be fine at very least until late next year.

Just depends on how many others like Cyberpunk and Control there might be in the next year (or two, if I don't get any 30xx) - and I mean without having ray-tracing enabled - and ofc whether I have any actual interest in such games. The typical measuring stick.

1440 would be a lot easier to deal with - I just can't go back.

On 12/29/2020 at 6:26 PM, Zoraptor said:

I'd personally suspect that Hopper will slip further and it will be more than a year between them.

I'd say that unless they're in bed with PSU companies to coerce people to upgrade to quadruple digit watt PSU's, they're gonna have to find ways to reduce power.

And yes, 2080ti is sufficient for a while yet with some GPU tweaks.  Luckily DLSS 'performance' mode as well as some other minor tinkering with the settings can make Cybersex 2069 run pretty adequately.

If I had known we'd run into shortages I definitely would have paid the extra few hundred and invested in the TI instead of 2080 'Super', 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, ComradeMaster said:

Luckily DLSS 'performance' mode

But that's where DLSS starts to look ... especially blurry, for lack of a better word ... to the point it doesn't meet my personal "graphics clarity" meter.  Quality or even Balanced mode (as far as I'm willing to go) isn't enough to get Cyberpunk to be 4k/60fps even with dropping some things down to Medium. And yes I mean with RT off. Too much DLSS affects screenshots as well - that petroleum jelly lens look.  Ick.   :p:lol:

Not that I mind too much not having a constant 60fps - altho that really depends on the game. Some games "feel" fine at stable 30-45 far as I'm concerned, while others do not.

• Like 1

Whoops, I meant 'balanced' mode not 'performance' mode my mistake. 

But in any case it's probably not even worth buying until at least the first patch comes out, ideally the 2nd patch in February.  This is definitely one of those "fine wine" type games where you ideally want to wait a bit until patches and added content comes out.

So, as I am not able to buy anything, I have been trying to research RTX 3070s - as to if one day they become briefly available, I shall not hesitate which one to try to basket. 

I am mainly eyeing with lust ASUS’s, and my question is: would I make a big mistake going for non-OC version? ASUS TUF looks tempting at £600, though I am curious what I am loosing by not spending £100 more on strix OC. 

it being my first PC build I don’t plan to overclock. I also don’t think I need extra HDMI. Does one need to buy OC if one wants to overclock, or does OC version just makes it easier to do? Will I loose anything significant by not going for OC version?

I don't know about the 3070, but the 3080 TUF OC has a bit beefier power delivery from what I know, while the non OC version follows nvidias reference spec, and it has about 50Mhz higher advertised boost clock, possibly better binning (Which'll not be an issue unless you plan to OC). So I think that since you don't plan to OC you'll get good enough performance from the normal version, I reckon you'll get reasonably similar performance. If the 3070 boosts to 1800Mhz and the OC boosts to 1900Mhz, it's a 5% increase. The STRIX cards generally have better binning, slightly better cooling, more power delivery, more bling. It's their top tier cards generally, mostly for overclockers, out of the box you don't get a noticeable advantage.

That said, ASUS stopped delivering 3080 TUF non-oc for a while and focused on only the OC models, so they might've done something similar to the 3070s.

Edit; The ASUS 3080 TUF OC that I have, I've temporarily lowered the power limit by 15% since I'm CPU bound, and I generally sit at ~1900 boost while playing Cyberpunk, and that's about 100Mhz more than what I've been promised, and pretty much what the 3080 Strix is guaranteed to deliver.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 hours ago, Wormerine said:

EDIT. I hear it needs some software update.

Yes you should periodically check for new motherboard drivers and update your BIOS with a flash drive.

Oh wait, you're talking about the GPU with the exact same name that I never knew about.

Geforce Experience is a simple tool that alerts whenever there's a new graphics driver update available.  Some of its features can be annoying at times but just keeping it for updates generally works good

Edited by ComradeMaster

It's the RTX thread, presumably he's talking about a 30x0 Aorus Master OC graphics card.

Gigabyte's naming schemes are a bit annoying now they're using the same branding for GPUs and MBs but 700 quid would be fairly pricey for an Aorus Master motherboard.

Yeah, I mean Aorus Master OC 3070. Oddly enough, the preorder turned out to be a purchase, and graphic card is in my possession. Still, need to acquire the rest of the build, though I suppose that is that of me hoping to not buy the most expensive version possible. 😅 it’s pwetty though. 

• Haha 1

You got it in two days?! 😂

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

You got it in two days?! 😂

Yup. It said “pre-order estimated delivery Feb 16”, and the shop forced me to pay for premium deliver to deliver it to Norther Ireland from mainland UK. Then they sent it out same evening, and I got it the next day... 🤔

7 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Yup. It said “pre-order estimated delivery Feb 16”, and the shop forced me to pay for premium deliver to deliver it to Norther Ireland from mainland UK. Then they sent it out same evening, and I got it the next day... 🤔

Granted it was a 3080 I ordered, but I literally had to wait ninety-two days.

September 17 to December 18.

3080ti has supposedly been delayed until Feb (vs. Jan) now.  Not that it matters since regardless of when, I'm sure hardly anyone will be able to get their hands on one for weeks/months.   😛

Edit: Oh, sorry, I was confused.  It was a claim of "indefinitely delayed" from one of those popular video reviewers.  I didn't find any text article verification of that tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson

We get achievements for which brand of hardware we own now? Gross.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

20 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Trouble with any news about 3080Ti is that none of it is verified including its practical existence, it's all leaks one way or the other.

Yes the difference between a 3080 and a 3090 is marginal, especially in gaming, leaving virtually no room for a 3080ti in there.

There's only 3 reasons to buy a 3090

1) You're a crazy gamer who wants the best whatever the cost

2) You're a cryptocurrency miner 

3) You're job requires lots of GPU memory juice (game developers I presume?)

Baddabing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

MSRPs for GPUs are rising (ASUS and PNY have already added hundreds of dollars for their new MSRPs, and that's just what I've seen), and apparently Taiwan is going through a severe drought, so shortages and prices are expected to continue to be bad (and possibly get worse) for the foreseeable future.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.