Nvidia RTX Series

Bokishi

There were no FE cards at all in the country so the $688 price point ended up being a complete fiction anyway. I tracked half a dozen stores on launch and the cheapest cards available were $749. The crappy Zotac ones that are comprehensively worse than the FE in every metric, for 10% more than the (purely theoretical) FE. If that doesn't confirm that the MSRP is purely a marketing stunt then I don't know what is.

That, incidentally, is the price of the new next-gen consoles here.

EDIT: For the sake of comparison, the 6800 has 10.2% extra fat, and the 6800XT 8.7%. So hopefully if AMD match the $399USD price point with one of their as-yet unannounced products, we'll see a similar end result of reference cards going for $660AUD. If they send even literally one reference card down here it'll already have better availability than the 3060Ti. :ninja:

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Got a new update on my 3080.

Mid february.

Ffs.

• Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Got a new update on my 3080.

Mid february.

Ffs.

Ok so the 3080 TI is reportedly releasing in January but confirmed 3080 owners aren't getting theirs until mid-February?  Something doesn't add up here.  You living in Sweden may be a factor but I wouldn't think it would be a huge one.

• Like 1

Nobody knows if the 3080Ti is really coming this time or not. It won't add to availability anyway, it'll pull more chips from the standard 3080 pool, the one that would add to availability would be the 3070Ti since it would use chips not good enough for normal 3080s.

Shipping worldwide is pretty stuffed, to be fair, though you'd think nVidia could charter one of the hundreds of planes doing nothing at the moment to fly some to Europe. AMD is definitely constrained by chip manufacturing limits, nVidia shouldn't be.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Ok so the 3080 TI is reportedly releasing in January but confirmed 3080 owners aren't getting theirs until mid-February?  Something doesn't add up here.  You living in Sweden may be a factor but I wouldn't think it would be a huge one.

Being in Sweden shouldn't affect it too much, from speaking to the company that I shop from, the vast, vast majority buy nvidia cards, so if anything it'd be relatively high on the list since they always had good sales. It might have changed the last couple of years but I somewhat doubt it.

3 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Nobody knows if the 3080Ti is really coming this time or not. It won't add to availability anyway, it'll pull more chips from the standard 3080 pool, the one that would add to availability would be the 3070Ti since it would use chips not good enough for normal 3080s.

Shipping worldwide is pretty stuffed, to be fair, though you'd think nVidia could charter one of the hundreds of planes doing nothing at the moment to fly some to Europe. AMD is definitely constrained by chip manufacturing limits, nVidia shouldn't be.

The thought of them releasing another GA102 design while not having fulfilled the thirst for 3080s seem silly to me.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

The thought of them releasing another GA102 design while not having fulfilled the thirst for 3080s seem silly to me.

It's Nvidia, I like their cards, but a lot of their business practices don't make a lot of sense.  It's like they pull random goodies out of a bag, smile, wait for AMD to respond, smile again, then pull more stuff out and say "but lookie here!" and don't even consider a rock solid strategy or buyers remorse from their customers.

29 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

It's Nvidia, I like their cards, but a lot of their business practices don't make a lot of sense.  It's like they pull random goodies out of a bag, smile, wait for AMD to respond, smile again, then pull more stuff out and say "but lookie here!" and don't even consider a rock solid strategy or buyers remorse from their customers.

Yeah, I mean, they already have a 3080Ti on the market, the 3090 is a 3080Ti in all except name. It certainly isn't a Titan.

So, I watched some videos of FFXV with 3080/9900k (my cpu) at 4k/max (including nvidia works, which I usually only have Hairworks On).  Actual playing the game/combat etc, not "benchmarks." ....it's a tad better than the 2080ti, but there were effects and moments where it would still drop below 60 briefly, and these videos weren't in the known harsher spots (the actual FFXV benchmark tool dropped below 60 too).  I can mostly achieve the same having those 3 largely useless nvidiaworks off and maybe turning shadows to Average. Now, FFXV isn't the best ... stable performing game in the first place, mind.

Then the game Control/Ultra, RT with DLSS on, couldn't break/stay at 60 most of the time - which is still far better than my 30-40fps ofc but...)

...this isn't me saying "3080 sucks." Not at all.  Only that while 30xx series is what I'd call a fairly better 4k gpu than previous, to me the label "true 4k" gpu won't be until 40xx or 50xx (or AMD equivalent). Especially if one wants to native/no DLSS.  Want RT too? Good luck.

Sigh.  So I guess this is my long-winded way of saying ... that I have a while to wait, yet.  :mellow:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you don't want RT or DLSS then the 6900XT is your best bet for 4K rasterization but AMD will have to eventually follow Nvidia. Going forward native 4K is not as important as RT. Checkerboarding, dynamic resolution, variable rate shader, DLSS, RT quality are sacrificing native resolution where developers think you won't notice in gameplay. Since Volta, Nvidia has dedicated a lot of silicon and R&D to RT. There will also come a time when developers will have the rasterized version of the game for low end hardware, and the ray traced version that will look stunning. I wouldn't be surprised to see DLSS keep improving.

• Like 1

Yeah I had DLSS on all throughout my playthrough of Death Stranding and was under the impression that I was playing a game that probably doesn't look as good because it was on.

I was stunned when I turned it off just for kicks and discovered that DLSS actually made the game look better with a simple switch of a button.

These new features appear to be the real deal, and are snowballing pretty fast and leaving AMD back to the drawing board once again.

10 hours ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

Going forward native 4K is not as important as RT. Checkerboarding, dynamic resolution, variable rate shader, DLSS, RT quality are sacrificing native resolution where developers think you won't notice in gameplay

Problem for me is, I do notice. Well, I notice some things, like color shifts, contrast changes, minute grain changes, and other such things. As I've said before, DLSS is very functional/looks "good" at this point and if I seriously need it to run a game acceptably (my definition of acceptable, of course), especially if that meant not needing to buy another expensive gpu yet, I don't have any major issues with turning it on. It's not like I'm going "ewww" or something.

But I still prefer it off. Hence, native 4k.  "Dynamic" anything so far largely annoys me. I mean it's a game by game thing really, but overall from what I've seen so far.

Some of this could be because I like to sit so much closer to a big screen than most people, some could be, perhaps, because I tend to look at it all from a photographer's point of view vs. a video point of view.  I don't know. Reminds me a bit of the old debate over which is better, matte or glossy - I've always preferred a light/faint matte and hate glossy (this doesn't really apply to video, just mean re: visual preference debate).

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

Given that the Kingpins tend to be the most expensive variants of GPUs, I imagine a 3090 is around 2 grand, if not more, retail. I shudder to think what the scalpers charge for it.

Great card, though, no doubt about that.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The only precaution I have here is it's 82 RT cores.  I understand full blown Ray Traced games are a thing of the far future but what if next gen raises the bar significantly?  I wouldn't want to just blow money on a card only to have it be outclassed in RT performance in the next lineup.

Meh I guess I'll just wait for Nvidia's competitor to the 6900XT and go with that.

EDIT: And if rumors be true, that won't arrive until after the Chinese New Year so Year of the Metal Ox February 17+ is when we get the real flagship gaming Gerforce card. :)

Edited by ComradeMaster

11 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

I wouldn't want to just blow money on a card only to have it be outclassed in RT performance in the next lineup.

I would think and hope that Ampere's RT performance will be outclassed by whatever comes after Ampere. Waiting for the next, faster series is a dangerous game, since there's always something better and faster coming soon, especially with how fast computer tech advances. You gotta just pick a time to upgrade/build new and get the best bang for your buck at that time. A year or two later something better will come along, but that's always going to be the case, regardless of when you build.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

A year or two later something better will come along, but that's always going to be the case, regardless of when you build.

Very true. And also what we comfort ourselves with as we watch the new stuff come out a couple years later and cry into our pillows just a little bit even tho we knew it was coming.  :lol:
...Cyberpunk has me wanting that 3080ti.   Sigh.  Must resist until 40xx ... must resist until 40xx....

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

...Cyberpunk has me wanting that 3080ti.  

If rumors be true, the 3080ti and the 2nd major patch for CP77 (There are two alleged major patches coming for it, one in January and one in February) will release at around the same time so hopefully by the time this all bears fruition it will be playable quite well for high fps gamers, especially on a 3080ti.

5 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

If rumors be true, the 3080ti and the 2nd major patch for CP77 (There are two alleged major patches coming for it, one in January and one in February) will release at around the same time so hopefully by the time this all bears fruition it will be playable quite well for high fps gamers, especially on a 3080ti.

There's no release date yet, but if I had to guess then I would say March or April for Rocket Lake. I figure you want to stick with Intel, so if you wanted to also upgrade your CPU then that timing isn't too bad, if it happens that way, that is.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

36 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

There's no release date yet, but if I had to guess then I would say March or April for Rocket Lake. I figure you want to stick with Intel, so if you wanted to also upgrade your CPU then that timing isn't too bad, if it happens that way, that is.

Bought a shiny new i9 9900k from the Silicon Lottery Gods not long ago so I'm set on the CPU front for a few years at least.  When the 3080ti releases it should be around the time Cyberpunkassbitch 2077 gets adequately patched up.  Well, as adequately as such a bloody mess can get patched up that is.

Got a text with an update on my 3080, it's being picked and sent today. So I expect something early next week. 😃

• Like 3

News out of Korea suggests nVidia will be sticking with Samsung for Ampere rather than moving to TSMC mid 2021 as rumoured a while ago. May or may not be related but TSMC is also ending bulk purchase discounts for their big customers, of whom nVidia would have been a pretty big one had they switched back.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Got a text with an update on my 3080, it's being picked and sent today. So I expect something early next week. 😃

From which store? 

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

7 hours ago, Pidesco said:

From which store? 

Inet :)

Edit;

My colleagues at work outdid themselves, and got the card to me today instead. I changded the delivery from door to pickup aswell to save more time, so here is the RTX 3080 in my ****-compensating case.

Sorry about the dust, my back is killing me enough that I didn't bother to properly clean the inside of the case for now. That's for a time when I can actually bend and lift.

Not pictured is the extra sag support curtesy of my Vega 64 Nitro that was there before. Surprisingly, it's a smidge bigger than the 3080, and I'm glad to only have 2x4 pin powercables! And worried at the same time. The Sapphire did have the same power draw, but over three rails, so we'll see if the EVGA 750 Supernove can keep up with it, or if it'll go supernova and poof on me. 😄

isch.thumb.jpg.9412af9795049a46dadc1a89db3ccc5f.jpg

IT'S SO TINY!!

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 3

https://wccftech.com/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-20-gb-geforce-rtx-3060-12-gb-rog-strix-custom-graphics-cards-leak/

...Cyberpunk has me wanting one.  But so far that's probably the only gaming reason for me to get one.
Do people think it'll only be around 2 more years for 40xx etc. lines?  Or do you think it'll be extended another year or two this time...