Nvidia RTX Series

Bokishi

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Well, I doubt it'll be stellar presentation, you are above the minimum specs though not by much. I'd have offered to lend you my Vega64, but I still haven't recieved my 3080, so. :(

I went to check the 30-70/80/90 list from proshop today and it's pretty depressing to look at to be honest. While it's not the store I ordered from, it does give a "between thumb and elbow guesstimation"

https://www.proshop.se/RTX-30series-overview

Only looking at the 3080 cards, they've recieved 1075 cards total, and still have 3001 outstanding orders...

Well, it's actually a 980 ti so it should be playable at a level that the game looks not potato, even if that would be fitting with playing a polish game while in Sweden.

Anyway I have been following that link since you posted it and it's looking terrible. I guess I'll be able to get one sometime next year...

• Sad 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The 3090 is the only current gen video card, Nvidia or AMD, I EVER see in stock anywhere for any length of time longer than a microsecond. As desperate as people are for computer components, I guess there aren't that many people desperate enough to pay that outrageous a price.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3070 availability is passable here for those unfussed about which brand/model they get, and provided they're willing to pay at least $150 more than the FE MSRP.

I was seriously prepared to pick up a 3060Ti next week (with the proviso of no big Australia tax and no announcement from AMD about an imminent release of the 6700 series) but funnily enough what put the kibosh on it this time is the state borders opening back up. I had banked on staying home all holiday season but now it looks like I'll be travelling over the holidays (zero cases both where I am and where I'd be going). Seems a bit pointless to build my new PC, use it for a week, then leave it at home for 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't want to start a new CP2077 campaign like that anyway so even if I had a PC that could do it justice I'd be best off starting it when I get back, and well, tripling my current 3D performance isn't so important when my current game is Might and Magic 6-7-8. :ninja:

(But hey, if Quake 2 can get RTX, why not the 3D MM games?)

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

9 hours ago, Keyrock said:

The 3090 is the only current gen video card, Nvidia or AMD, I EVER see in stock anywhere for any length of time longer than a microsecond. As desperate as people are for computer components, I guess there aren't that many people desperate enough to pay that outrageous a price.

EVGA - Products - EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 K|NGP|N HYBRID GAMING, 24G-P5-3998-KR, 24GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, HYBRID Cooler, OLED Display, Metal Backplate - 24G-P5-3998-KR

🤩😜🤐

• Gasp! 1

25 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

****in, what the ****ing, ****? Who the ****?! **** that ****ing... who the ****ing **** would ****ing buy that ****ing thing?!? ****!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 11/24/2020 at 5:19 AM, Keyrock said:

Are these massive and long-lasting shortages all around due to demand or to  covid and manufacturing issues? Or combo?

And I think most people realize that the 3090 isn't worth it to a gamer/average user at that price.  In fact sometimes I wonder why nvidia keeps up with that tier - do the few people who buy it for non-gaming use make it profitable, or is it more a 'look at us" marketing thing - and if the latter, I feel like it doesn't work very well anymore.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just now, LadyCrimson said:

Are these massive and long-lasting shortages all around due to demand or to  covid and manufacturing issues? Or combo?

A little of column A and a little of column B (plus column C). Manufacturing lost some time because of COVID shutdowns, this was exacerbated by international shipping slowdowns or closures. At the same time, demand has been at Black Friday levels since April with zero let up because so many people are now working from/stuck at home, again, because of COVID. On top of all that, you have scalpers using bots to immediately buy up all the stock as soon as it becomes available. There are plenty of 3080s available for ludicrous prices on ebay right now.

So, in short, COVID ruined everything then scalpers made it worse.

• Sad 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

From what AMD and nVidia are saying you'd think there's a massive warehouse in Taiwan or Korea filled to the brim with graphics cards just waiting to be distributed to eager buyers...

It's a lot easier to explain poor availability for AMD; GPUs are lowest priority for them as they're the lowest profit item (exc consoles, but there there are contractual obligations) on a manufacturing process which had limited availability even pre covid. Radeon will be getting wafers as and when available and even in normal times would have limited capacity- ultimately that's why the 5500XT was a relatively expensive buy even pre covid. That's exacerbated now by the increased demand, scalping, actually being competitive etc.

nVidia though has Samsung 8nm almost to itself yet still hasn't satisfied pre-order demand in many places. So unless Samsung is really, really awful at manufacturing to the extent that most wafers are largely unusable there's clearly either a supply (eg there's only Micron makes GDDR6X, so that could be a limiting factor) or distribution issue. Certainly a lot of shipping capacity is 'stuck' empty in the wrong places (Europe) and air freight is way down due to fewer planes flying; we have issues here as an exporting nation with there being few ships and you used to be able to buy cheap shipping containers for storage very cheaply and they're trying to buy them back now.

GDGTwcN.jpg

Before the pitchforks come out, it's an RTX _3070_. Had I known on September 17th that signing up for EVGA's auto-notify wasn't going to be an exercise in futility I would probably be sitting pretty on a 3080 right now. Though given that it's an EVGA card I do have the option of stepping up to a 3080 and receiving it when stock presumably stabilises next year, or to a 3080 ti if it gets announced in the next ~90 days for a sane price.

• Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

No pitchfork here. I have no ill will toward any legitimate consumer that gets a card; some jealousy, yes, but no ill will. The scalpers, on the other hand, those mother****ers will burn in hell for eternity if there's any justice in this world.

I plan to put myself on the auto-notify list for a EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Hydro Copper once the auto-notify button becomes available (i.e. those cards go from announced to physically available).

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

20 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

3080TI is priced to compete with the Radeon 6900X so $999 USD.  Definitely the best choice for a 120+ fps 1440p gamer.

If it really does end up at that price (granted, the EVGA version I'd likely want might be a bit more) ... as I said, I'd be tempted, if it's enough better than vanilla 3080 that is.  Of course, I probably couldn't get a hold of one for a year or something, anyway ... probably for the best.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/76468/cant-buy-new-ampere-gpu-thats-because-nvidia-sold-them-to-miners/index.html

well, theres a likely explanation. Goddamn monopoly money grinding ****stains.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 11/26/2020 at 8:26 PM, ComradeMaster said:

3080TI is priced to compete with the Radeon 6900X so $999 USD.  Definitely the best choice for a 120+ fps 1440p gamer.

3080Ti will need a lot more than just a boost from 10GB to 20GB VRAM to justify a $300 price increase. The increased VRAM will have very little to no impact on most titles now and probably going forward for a few years, Godfall's SUPERMEGAUBER textures notwithstanding.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

3080Ti will need a lot more than just a boost from 10GB to 20GB VRAM to justify a $300 price increase. The increased VRAM will have very little to no impact on most titles now and probably going forward for a few years, Godfall's SUPERMEGAUBER textures notwithstanding.

Yeah they appear to be in a bit of a dilemma here considering the performance boost between a 3080 and a 3090 isn't all that great in gaming and when you consider the cost it's like wtf?  Will check the benchmarks upon release and go from there.

I'm hoping they'll just focus on sub-4k performance and re-advertise the 3090 as a workstation card and not a gaming card but that could be a forlorn hope.

Edited by ComradeMaster

In the past what Nvidia did was take the Titan, cut the memory in half, strip out boosted compute functionality, like FP64, and release it as a x80Ti. I don't know if that's possible with the 3090 this time around. Does the 3090 have any compute features not found on the other Ampere cards they could strip out?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm hoping they release a card that hits that magic 2000Mhz boost clock.  The only thing that comes close here is that $1999usd 3090 Kingpin I posted earlier (for comparative purposes, Founders Edition 3090 is 1725Mhz, the Kingpin is 1920!).

If they release a 3080 Ti and EVGA puts out a 2000Mhz version my choice is clear.  Boost clock superiority will be my guiding decision.

6 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

If you want 2000+ Mhz better get a Radeon.

That's like saying I want to attend a bonfire because it has vastly amounts more of kindling than actual long roasting sustainable wood that will slow burn for many years.

Radeon may have the kindling, but it's quite lacking in long term features that will keep the fire hot.  Better off shopping around for the slow burner with the most spark.

I got an update from the store I ordered my GPU from; Expected delivery mid january at the earliest.

Meh

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

3060 Ti is out tomorrow. Seems like a good value 1080p/1440p card.

Better order one now, should be in stock when I build in 6 months.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 hours ago, Humanoid said:

$688AUD MSRP apparently. Direct currency conversion plus 10% tax lands at just under $600 there's ~15.5% "screw you Australia" margin. This is substantially higher than the 3070 where said margin was only 8.5%. Ick.

Sucks y'all get an upcharge on most items. I mean, I get you need to pay delivery folks hazard pay because of Drop Bears, but that upcharge is much too steep.

• Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸