Nvidia RTX Series

Bokishi

55 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Supposedly the 20GB 3080Ti is now reinstated as a forthcoming product. Rumoured, rumoured cancelled, now rumoured reinstated; it's Schrodinger's GPU and you'll only know whether it exists when it turns up.

(Still say that a 12GB version with the full bus makes more sense, but I guess having more VRAM than RX6_00 is more important as a marketing point)

Numbers don't mean anything.  It's benchmarks that matter, if the 3080Ti can hit close to the 5900XT in 1440p at a slightly cheaper price than I am absolutely sold and is exactly what I'm looking for.  If it can run 'Control' maxed out with full RTX and quality DLSS at 144 fps it's the leading performance card.

8 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Supposedly the 20GB 3080Ti is now reinstated as a forthcoming product. Rumoured, rumoured cancelled, now rumoured reinstated; it's Schrodinger's GPU and you'll only know whether it exists when it turns up.

(Still say that a 12GB version with the full bus makes more sense, but I guess having more VRAM than RX6_00 is more important as a marketing point)

The 3080 Ti SUPER exists in a superposition of both arriving and cancelled. This is due to the Jensen Uncertainty Principle.

• Haha 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3070 -- 670 USD (+170 USD over 'theoretical' price*, and that's with GST taken into account)

3080 -- 915 USD (+215)

3090 -- 1825 USD (+325)

And, for comparison...

5600X -- 304 USD (uh, +5. Didn't even round it to 300, since that extra dollar is 20% of the difference)

Not quite as bad as 700+ Euro though.

*I guess it's a little unfair comparing them to FE MSRP, but 170 bucks would be high even for Strix tax, let alone the cheapest ExplodeMax HeatwaVe

The Asus 3070 strix is 895 euros... But what's funny is that the gray market prices are mostly the same as the store prices... I'm hopping that these are just the current prices as the demand is high, but in my experience our retailers never lower the prices even for 2 gen old tech.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

If there *is* a 3080ti and an EVGA version of it was "only" $1000 or so, and it seemed enough of a performance boost vs. 3080, I'd be, as usual, half-tempted, then I'd skip "40xx" series instead.

Oh wait, wasn't I going to stop reading these threads...

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, Totally not Gorgon said:

1500 for a graphics card. Are you kidding me.

Wut?
yuppaidtoomuch.jpg

...I mean, three fans, man! Totally worth it.  :p 

...but yes, it's utterly ridiculous.  :getlost:  And prices don't seem to go down much over time anymore, either - retail or used.

• Sad 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

It's common knowledge that RGBs on a graphics card add at least 10 FPS.

Depends on the color used.  RGB red is an average of 4fps more than blue, but blue is easier on the eyes so I don't mind the performance loss.

Blue is better for longevity too, less risk of bad things happening by chance.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

17 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

If there *is* a 3080ti and an EVGA version of it was "only" $1000 or so, and it seemed enough of a performance boost vs. 3080, I'd be, as usual, half-tempted, then I'd skip "40xx" series instead.

Oh wait, wasn't I going to stop reading these threads...

As someone who's in fact looking forward to the 3080TI it would definitely have to meet or beat the 6900XT in performance to consider it or else what's the point?

Then again, they teach you in marketing school to never compete over price only compete for features so it's possible that Nvidia could be banking on superior DLSS and RTX performance at bit less rasterization for the same price tag as the 6900XT.

They are bastards if that turns out to be the case, but I'd definitely bet on it.

It should be able to run on anything (within reason, I presume there's a minimum memory spec, at least) as it's a MS tech, not an nVidia/ Intel/ AMD one and it was just waiting to be implemented in drivers. The Linux equivalent has existed for years and is (I believe since I don't run Linux) completely vendor agnostic.

Kind of ironic though, you get lots of people using nVidia's RTX branding interchangeably with DXR, now you have people using AMD's SAM branding interchangeably with generic BAR resizing.

2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

The Linux equivalent has existed for years and is (I believe since I don't run Linux) completely vendor agnostic.

AFAIK that's correct.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 2 weeks later...

Orderered the MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 2X OC (don't feel like I need a better GPU since I use a 1080p screen anyway). I read afterwards that the temperatures can get really high on it, but apparently undervolting the GPU (never done that before) removes that issue.

I hope it arrives before Cyberpunk does! Will be a decent upgrade over my good ol' gtx 970.

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for my 3080, I hope you have more luck than me!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I really want to order a 3080 to drive my UW on Cyberpunk. Hopefully my 980 won't suffer too much.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well, I doubt it'll be stellar presentation, you are above the minimum specs though not by much. I'd have offered to lend you my Vega64, but I still haven't recieved my 3080, so. :(

I went to check the 30-70/80/90 list from proshop today and it's pretty depressing to look at to be honest. While it's not the store I ordered from, it does give a "between thumb and elbow guesstimation"

https://www.proshop.se/RTX-30series-overview

Only looking at the 3080 cards, they've recieved 1075 cards total, and still have 3001 outstanding orders...