Nvidia RTX Series

Bokishi

I thought the intel gpu was more of a server, AI, possibly Stadia/Apple oriented thing. I really doubt it will compete with Nvidia on performance or Radeon on cost/SOC uses. Though it will be an interesting shakeup whatever it is.

If the hardware landscape isn't quite where I want it by the time 2077 launches, I might just hold off a bit longer. CDPR is great at supporting their games and playing with the expansions and patches would be a nicer experience. But it's certainly the game that I would be building the rig for regardless unless some other surprises get announced from now until it's launch.

Intel says they are going for a full suite approach to graphics cards, so everything from server to pro to consumer entries. I doubt they'll be a competitive factor short term and I suspect they may well run into legal issues as well (barriers are less to entry than for entry into the x86 CPU sphere, but there are still a lot of overbroad patents from nVidia and AMD to run afoul of). Plus Raja over promised and under delivered at AMD, albeit for a division he says was being strip mined to boost Zen development.

On the question of 2070S vs 5700XT, I'll probably have something to say later in the day. The NDA came off here at 2 am so I haven't seen any comparative benchmarks at all. I suspect Keyrock has it pretty right though, given the non 3rd party benchmarks floating around.

I went ahead and got a 5700XT and Ryzen 9 3900x and a new X570 mobo with most of the bells and maybe half of the whistles. It helped that my friendly local computer store was selling everything 50 bucks under MSRP.

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm thinking about upgrading my 1800x to a 3900x, don't know if my MB will take it though, I think somehting was fubar from factory since all the LED died on it. It seemingly worked like normal though so I never bothered to return it, thinking about buying a MB and CPU, flashing the old one and see if it works then possibly returning the MB.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 2 months later...

So.. the first time in 10+ years I've gone with Nvidia again (since AMD hasn't released anything competitive in the upper echelon of GPU's) and my GPU died on me.

It was an ASUS GTX 1080Ti Turbo.. and it cost something like $800+ (don't actually remember). It didn't even last two years.

Luckily it's still under warranty so I just sent it back to the store. My old AMD card is still running without problems in my cousin's computer and that's twice as old.

I dislike everything about Nvidia except the performance. The way they make proprietary hardware (G-Sync) to raise the prices, the way they make you log into ****ing Facebook for their GPU drivers, the way their drivers are HALF A ****ING GIGABYTE that you need to update twice per month, the way they always make new technology locked to their own hardware (RTX, hairworks, etc).. and the absolutely ****ty quality their third party manufacturers have to build to try to keep their prices below at least $1000.

I can't wait for AMD to get back into the top end GPU segment. Holy ****.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Not worth considering a 5700?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've bought only EVGA for a long while now and they've all lasted longer, in terms of still running, than my PC's. I think the one Nvidia that didn't wasn't an EVGA (and wasn't a top tier Nvidia either). EVGA's software is meh but they seem sturdy, at least for the higher tiers vs. low budget.

You may have mentioned the Facebook thing before but I forget why you feel you must do it. Something about Experience maybe? Because I haven't had to ever do that to just d/l the drivers. I just go to nvidia's driver page. 

Nvidia prices are definitely redonkulous tho, even if one uses a 4-8 year turnover.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

As I have mentioned in the past I am loving my RTX 2080 Ti, I am playing Metro Exodus at the moment and I can run the game at maximum settings :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 10/2/2019 at 3:43 PM, LadyCrimson said:

I've bought only EVGA for a long while now and they've all lasted longer, in terms of still running, than my PC's.

Agreed, I'm also a fan of EVGA and only buy their stuff and I've never had an issue (in fact I just upgraded my 1080Ti KingPin to the 2080Ti version, now I just need to get the waterlock and add it into the loop).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

• 1 month later...

On 10/2/2019 at 12:47 AM, Azdeus said:

Not worth considering a 5700?

Only if you're a 1080p gamer like me, I like smaller,  more focused screens so investing in mid range cards with high clock speeds is totally my bag.  I bought an 5700 and have it overclocked up to 2005 mhz and I can play everything maxed out. 

So if you like massive monitors and high resolutions go with a 1080ti or 2080ti and damage your life savings or humble yourself and get a nice 21.5 inch 75mhz 1080p monitor and save a boat load of cash and still get roughly the same performance and visuals.  

Eh, if I could I'd go back to my old CRT monitors to be honest, but I didn't want to futz about with adapters. I'll stick to my 27'' 144hz 1440p screen and Vega 64 for now

4 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Eh, if I could I'd go back to my old CRT monitors to be honest, but I didn't want to futz about with adapters. I'll stick to my 27'' 144hz 1440p screen and Vega 64 for now

Then I would wait until next spring or summer before upgrading your gpu when the next batch of cards come out, as they should be able to handle 1440p just fine.  I have a 144 1440p monitor stored in my garage I may just pull it then when they release.

• Like 1

Boy this thread has caused much cognitive dissonance on my part as it made me carefully consider what I'm going to do in the future.

After much deliberation I've decided that I'm sticking to blue and green (Intel processors and Nvidia cards) and will keep my i5 9600k overclocked to 5.1ghz and wait until the new Nvidia Ampere cards come out 1h of next year

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tweaktown.com/news/67946/yep-nvidias-next-gen-ampere-gpu-launch-1h-2020/amp.html

Thank all you folks for making me reevaluate my style :p

• 1 month later...

I have a 1080p / 144 mhz screen, is Geforce 2060 a decent purchase then? From what I gather, there's no point in "wasting" money on the most expensive cards as the fps difference will be so little when gaming on a 1080p screen anyway?

Though I guess a more expensive card will be more viable in 5-6 years, and if I decide to get a 1440p screen at some point. I tend not to upgrade to often, my current PC is from 2013 (with a GTX 970 bought a year or two later).

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I have a 1080p / 144 mhz screen, is Geforce 2060 a decent purchase then? From what I gather, there's no point in "wasting" money on the most expensive cards as the fps difference will be so little when gaming on a 1080p screen anyway?

Should be good but 2013 components runs the risk of significant bottleneck.

If you don't mind spending a little more you could go with a cheap AM4 Motherboard, a Ryzen 5 3600X cpu, and a RX 5700XT.

That should bang out high 1080p gaming for some time, plus AM4 has plenty of use left so you can upgrade to a higher end GPU and CPU on the fly later on if you want to go higher res.

That's probably your best bet right now, unless Ray Tracing is very important for you, then you're probably better off waiting for Intel's new MB's this Spring and going with an i5-10600k and a 2060 or 2070 Super.

Edited by ComradeMaster

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I have a 1080p / 144 mhz screen, is Geforce 2060 a decent purchase then?

In a word, yes.

If you don't care about paying extra for RTX consider a 1660Ti [or1660S, gods I hate GPU naming schemes] instead. Or wait a bit (couple of weeks?) and see how AMD's 5600s are. Personally I'd go a tier higher or a tier lower instead but for stated purpose a 2060 would be fine.

Edited by Zoraptor

Cheers guys.  I should've specified I'm building a new PC, so the rest of it won't be on 2013-components (@ComradeMaster). Gonna pair it with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU (heard 3600x wasn't worth the extra cash, performs very similarly on 1080p apparently). I could go for something more expensive if I manage to sell my old computer. The only thing I'm sure about, is that I want a Geforce Nvidia card (habit), and a Ryzen processor (apparently most bang for buck?).

Just hope it's gonna be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 on high graphics at least. Seems like that's going to be one hell of a demanding game.

Edited by Maedhros
typo

Yes I wouldn't recommend Intel CPU's right now unless you're willing to spend extra on water cooling and a high VPM motherboard for overclocking.  Socket 1151 is to be replaced by an updated (non backwards compatible) 2066 this spring so there's no practical reason going Intel this moment whilst AM4 has plenty of "bang for buck" for at least 2 more years.  I mean sure, those extra clockspeeds generate higher fps especially for 144hz gaming but it's probably not worth it for a mid range build.

I got lucky because I bought a cheap z390 motherboard and an i5 9600k and I became obsessed with getting as high clock speeds as possible so now I have a solid cooling system with 2 Noctua 100+ cfm fans attached to a radiator and I am more than ready for the core i9 10900k when it comes out, as it's also socket 2066 compatible.

Anyway good luck with your build and I wouldn't worry about C77, as it's also designed to run on those aging consoles, so that in and of itself should be somewhat of a relief.

Also I would go with the 'Super' cards, as they have higher clock speeds and higher clock speeds means more fps, especially on 1080p

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a stupid question @Zoraptor or @ComradeMaster

I'm gonna sell my old computer except my graphics card (GTX 970), which I'll keep for a bit longer until I can afford a 2070 or 2070 super. Do I need to retrieve the power cables that goes into the GPU, or do those cables come with every PSU? I can't remember whether they came with the GTX970 or with the PSU itself.

Edited by Maedhros

6/8 pin power connectors come with the PSU. If you're reselling the old PC whoever buys it should get the old PSU's 6/8/24 etc pin connectors as well (plus the use of another brand/ model's PSU connectors with a PSU may literally result in hardware destruction).

• Thanks 1

So we know AMD's Big Navi is coming this year, which, I'm assuming is a particularly giant blue humanoid. We already know that it will do hardware "ray tracing" (I'm assuming it will actually be a hybrid of rasterization and ray tracing like Nvidia's "ray tracing" and not pure ray tracing) which is not a selling point for me, so it's whatever. Given all the rumors, "leaks", and speculation so far, it will probably significantly outperform the 2080 Ti but maybe be slower than the 3080 and almost certainly slower than the 3080 Ti. 

I'm mainly going to be in the market for a card that can deliver 4K at approximately 100 FPS most of the time, we'll see if Big Navi manages to meet that criteria. If so, I may just build a fully Team Red desktop.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

..it will probably significantly outperform the 2080 Ti but maybe be slower than the 3080 and almost certainly slower than the 3080 Ti.

I suspect the top Big Navi will be a decent amount- consistently/ noticeably- above the 3080, but will also be very expensive. OTOH I'm still not convinced that nVidia will be able to produce Ampere in bulk due to TSMC's 7nm process being booked out for most of the year. If that is true we may not get a 3080Ti for some time with a TitanA to capture the price-is-no-object top end.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:05 AM, Keyrock said:

I'm mainly going to be in the market for a card that can deliver 4K at approximately 100 FPS most of the tim

I think that may be a bit of a stretch there unless you're talking about older titles.  I'm thinking they should gun for 60-75.

EDIT: upon further inspection it appears that several newish games can actually perform 4k in the 60+ fps range on a 2080 super/ti so I stand corrected.  If Big Navi can topple this, all the better.

On 1/29/2020 at 2:16 PM, Zoraptor said:

I suspect the top Big Navi will be a decent amount- consistently/ noticeably- above the 3080,

I highly doubt it will top it in the 1080p and 1440p fps draw but if they can manage a slight/moderate edge in 4k then they've already grabbed a significant portion of the high end market.  -hopefully-.

Remember, Ryzen CPU's really suck at 1080p and trail behind Intel slightly in 1440p and break even at 4k, so they only have one option here.

That said, my dream pc would be like a 20-21" 1080 240hz IPS monitor running max at 240 fps but such monitors don't exist yet.  Maybe in a few years.

Edited by ComradeMaster

Also, if you want to game in 4k 60+ fps range you're gonna need a massive monitor, 32" so be sure you have desk space to cover it.

I consider the sweet spots as follows:

22" 1080p

27" 1440p

32" 2160p (4k)

You're also gonna need a high refresh rate, whilst there's no 32" 4k 100+hz monitor on the market yet, I believe they are currently in development.  So ideally you'd want to wait for those before going full bore on new Team Red hardware.  There's literally no point gunning for triple digit fps on a 60hz monitor.  None.

As of right now, both extremes are kinda screwed in the monitor department.  So as an Intel/Nvidia user I'm settling with a 27" 165hz/fps IPS 1440p.  Could be worse but I kinda wish they'd speed up the polar opposite ideals.  I absolutely hate huge screens and find them overbearing.

Edited by ComradeMaster