Nvidia RTX Series

Bokishi

That video card is almost as long as your monitor.

Edit: Also I just saw the video in post your specs with all the fancy lights. What is it that allows the lights to reflect what's happening in game?

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Wait... dude.

On what resolution are you getting 60 fps in Kingdom Come?

3840x1080

Gotcha, gotcha. 

I just found it a bit odd that you said average of 60 fps for that title, even if it is a large resolution... is that with all the new RTX(that real time light tracking...) things? 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Gotcha, gotcha. 

I just found it a bit odd that you said average of 60 fps for that title, even if it is a large resolution... is that with all the new RTX(that real time light tracking...) things?

They haven't released any games with RTX or DLSS yet.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

What do I know… I'm rather illiterate on the matter. To me it seems they're trying to reinvent the wheel without fixing what needs fixing now, to be honest. 

For example, I'm pulling 200 fps with DOOM but under Vulkan and with 70 centigrade on the gpus. I find it funny that an AMD-developed gizmo ends up working better on their stuff :D. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

It's a great idea, just a couple of years to soon. I don't think that people would go back in graphics quality or go for less than 60fps.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

That video card is almost as long as your monitor.

Edit: Also I just saw the video in post your specs with all the fancy lights. What is it that allows the lights to reflect what's happening in game?

Yeah it’s too big, will not fit in my ITX box. The lighting uses Corsair iCue software

Wait... dude.

On what resolution are you getting 60 fps in Kingdom Come?

3840x1080

Gotcha, gotcha.

Not using RTX features, just a boost in rasterization rendering I can sustain 60fps+ in most areas. I still get occasional dips to 40fps in unoptimized areas like populated holds though, but it’s better than dips into the 20s like on the old 1080ti.

• 3 weeks later...

The RTX 2080 Ti is really the only RTX card that it makes any sense at all to purchase right now.  The reason for this is twofold.

1. It's the only card available that can power the new RTX technology at anything even remotely approaching acceptable performance.  In the few demos shown, a rig powered by a 2080 Ti struggles to even come close to maintaining 60 FPS, and that's at 1080p.  You can forget about 1440p or 4K or beyond.  Even assuming that once games actually come out using the new technology (there are still none on the market right now) developers have been able to optimize and get better performance, the 2080 Ti will still almost certainly be the only single card available capable of utilizing the technology and getting 60 FPS at 1080p.  For anything above 1080p you will need multiple 2080 Tis in SLI.  Outside of Bokishi, how many gamers can both afford to spend that much on a rig and are willing to pay it?  I'm pretty sure it's well below 1% of PC gamers out there.  As for DLSS, we have nothing concrete to go on at this point.
  2. Realistically, the deciding factor is still traditional rasterization performance.  RTX is exciting technology but nothing more than a proof of concept for 99.9% of gamers out there right now and likely for at least one more generation of GPUs to come, probably more.  The RTX 2080 Ti is the performance king right now.  It comes with an insane price markup, but if you want maximum performance, that's the card to buy.  The RTX 2080 gives you basically the performance of the GTX 1080 Ti, maybe 5% better performance, but at a significant markup in price.  The 1080 Ti is just a straight up better purchase.  Likewise the 2070 gives you basically the performance of a 1080 but at a significant markup.  Both of these cards make no sense from a price/performance ratio standpoint and neither one is powerful enough to realistically use the new RTX feature once games come out that implement it.  

To summarize, only the RTX 2080 Ti is powerful enough to realistically utilize the new technology and it's the only RTX card that gives you traditional rasterization performance that you cannot get with a GTX 1xxx series card at a lower price.  It's the only RTX card that makes any sense to purchase and only if money is no object to you.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The RTX 2080 Ti is really the only RTX card that it makes any sense at all to purchase right now.  The reason for this is twofold.

1. It's the only card available that can power the new RTX technology at anything even remotely approaching acceptable performance.  In the few demos shown, a rig powered by a 2080 Ti struggles to even come close to maintaining 60 FPS, and that's at 1080p.  You can forget about 1440p or 4K or beyond.  Even assuming that once games actually come out using the new technology (there are still none on the market right now) developers have been able to optimize and get better performance, the 2080 Ti will still almost certainly be the only single card available capable of utilizing the technology and getting 60 FPS at 1080p.  For anything above 1080p you will need multiple 2080 Tis in SLI.  Outside of Bokishi, how many gamers can both afford to spend that much on a rig and are willing to pay it?  I'm pretty sure it's well below 1% of PC gamers out there.  As for DLSS, we have nothing concrete to go on at this point.
  2. Realistically, the deciding factor is still traditional rasterization performance.  RTX is exciting technology but nothing more than a proof of concept for 99.9% of gamers out there right now and likely for at least one more generation of GPUs to come, probably more.  The RTX 2080 Ti is the performance king right now.  It comes with an insane price markup, but if you want maximum performance, that's the card to buy.  The RTX 2080 gives you basically the performance of the GTX 1080 Ti, maybe 5% better performance, but at a significant markup in price.  The 1080 Ti is just a straight up better purchase.  Likewise the 2070 gives you basically the performance of a 1080 but at a significant markup.  Both of these cards make no sense from a price/performance ratio standpoint and neither one is powerful enough to realistically use the new RTX feature once games come out that implement it.  

To summarize, only the RTX 2080 Ti is powerful enough to realistically utilize the new technology and it's the only RTX card that gives you traditional rasterization performance that you cannot get with a GTX 1xxx series card at a lower price.  It's the only RTX card that makes any sense to purchase and only if money is no object to you.

Im loving mine, I have never had such a quick rig as this, I cant wait till I start gaming 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Please do report back when you get to try RTX :p

• Like 1

Please do report back when you get to try RTX :p

I am so frustrated as my ADSL is still down due to a cable problem in the local exchange ....hopefully this will be resolved by COB today 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

Guys my ADSL line is now working as last night , so I bought the games below ...I am planning on playing  Fallout 4 and will  be starting as soon as I have installed various Mods and Adult Mods  :dancing:  :dancing:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Standard Edition -.
Fallout 4 

John Milton 

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late, but anyway, alot of tech youtubers, such as Linus and Jayz2cents, has been randomly showing RTX Titan boxes in the background of their videos. So much for the RTX 2080Ti being the "new" titan.

Edited by Azdeus

So much for the RTX 2080Ti being the "new" titan.

Do you people live in another dimension? No one said there wouldn't be a Titan. The RTX 2080 Ti is the new Titan X (the Pascal one), but when the Titan X was released another two Titans were released later, the Titan V and the Titan XP. The Titan RTX is not a gaming GPU, it's twice the price of the 2080 Ti and it will be close to it in performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch out, water cooling can ruin it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Keeping with the tradition of ****ting in AMD's cereal just as they are about to release new GPUs, Nvidia announced new RTX 2060, 2070, and 2080 SUPER (ALL CAPS) GPUs

GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GPU - Starting at $399, Available July 9 
º Up to 22% faster (average 15%) than RTX 2060 
º 8GB GDDR6 - 2GB more than the RTX 2060 
º Faster than GTX 1080 
º 7+7 TOPs (FP32+INT32) and 57 Tensor TFLOPs 

GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GPU - Starting at $499, Available July 9 
º Up to 24% faster (average 16%) than RTX 2070 
º Faster than GTX 1080 Ti 
º 9+9 TOPs (FP32+INT32) and 73 Tensor TFLOPs 

GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GPU - Starting at $699, Available July 23 
º Memory speed cranked up to 15.5Gbps 
º Faster than TITAN Xp 
º 11+11 TOPs (FP32+INT32) and 89 Tensor TFLOPs

These performance figures come from Team Green themselves, so, as always, a generous quantity of grains of salt is recommended. 

It's cool that they are putting out supposedly significantly faster refreshes of their cards, but that NAMING...

Stanley-Has-a-Serious-Stare-And-Is-Not-I

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 7/3/2019 at 6:11 AM, Keyrock said:

Keeping with the tradition of ****ting in AMD's cereal just as they are about to release new GPUs, Nvidia announced new RTX 2060, 2070, and 2080 SUPER (ALL CAPS) GPUs

And in response AMD has dropped their prices on the 5700/XT, before release- spawning rumours they deliberately inflated the prices to bait nVidia into overpricing their Supers. Sorry Jensen, I meant SUPERs, of course.

Given that nVidia is going Samsung 7nm for their 30X0s I suspect AMD may be getting some sweetened pricing from TSMC on wafers too.

11 hours ago, ShadySands said:

So 2070 SUPER or 5700XT? Asking for myself.

From the independent benchmarks I've seen, the 2070 SUPER is on average 5-15% faster than the 5700XT, but it's also $100 more expensive. Price wise, the 5700XT is the same price (give or take a couple of pennies) as the 2060 SUPER, and it's on average 5-15% faster than that card.

2070 SUPER is the faster card, 5700XT is the better value. You could make the RTX argument in favor of Nvidia, but RTX has been mostly a non-factor so far, and I've made the argument before that if you really want to be playing with RTX ON and getting anything remotely resembling good frame rates, you're going to need to mortgage your house for a 2080 Ti.

What resolution are you targeting? If it's 1080p or 1440p then I would go for the cheaper card for sure (5700XT). If you are targeting 4K then the extra oomph of the 2070 SUPER might be worth it... might be worth it... maybe.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I haven't really followed developments for a while, but I'm reasonably satisfied with what's being offered both sides of the fence at the moment. Unfortunately it's a terrible time for the Aussie dollar to have tanked, and the XT starts at over $600AUD, who knows how much the ones with proper coolers will cost next month. I've never paid more than low-$400s for a video card in my life.

On the other hand, we just got a tax cut here that means I'll get about $1000 extra in my tax return this year. Hmm. No rush at any rate, could even wait for a CPU + GPU bundle deal like they have in the US at some retailers.

14 hours ago, ShadySands said:

So 2070 SUPER or 5700XT? Asking for myself.

While the price/performance numbers speak for themselves, the deciding factor might be the rest of the package. A large part of the selection these days would be which adaptive sync (G-Sync/FreeSync) ecosystem someone has tied themselves to. Or maybe simply the games bundles. Nvidia is offering the new Wolfenstein and some title called Control I've never heard of until looking it up just now. AMD, on the other hand, have gone for a 3-month Microsoft Game Pass subscription which is a lot more ephemeral, but buying a custom card in August would mean it lines up with the Outer Worlds release, heh.

Personally while I'd normally prefer a bundle to give me games I'd actually get to own, I'm also sure that there's approximately zero chance of my playing Wolfenstein while Control is a maybe. I think that makes it a tie for me bundle-wise.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

One thing making me not want to jump on a build based around Ryzen 3000, is that a lot of the games I want are still a 6-12 months out. By then we will know more about next-gen consoles, and I sort of want to build a PC to be a step up from what the next gen consoles turn out to be. That way I don't have to upgrade my PC before and after.

Zen 3 might not be as big of a step-up as Zen 2, but it could be. Zen 3 might even end up optimizing more for games to close in on Intel's performance thread to thread. Plus it seems the graphics architectures that either arrive with the next consoles, or the generation after that that lands on the PC, I'd expect to be all the more tailored for things like ray-tracing and VR. And I'm sort of holding out hope that VR might really take off once the proper support is behind in (HL3 anyone?)

Just take a look at this...

If some proper HL universe game get's built around this sort of tech, I want to jump "all-in" as best I can. I don't want to split my funds over a few years of ill-suited upgrades off of a base build that is not quite up to the challenge. I want the build to have a unified cost-performance strategy for the base build, then I might upgrade the gpu if necessary a few years afterwards if it needs help keeping up.

Yeah, I'm targeting April 2020 for my next desktop build (read: Cyberpunk 2077 release). In theory, Intel's Ice Lake will be out by then, though given the string of delays Intel has suffered to their 10nm chips, who knows? Hopefully we have the Zen 2+ refresh Ryzen 4xxx chips by then. We might have Nvidia 30x0 GPUs and some kind of Navi refresh from AMD by then too.

hand-with-index-and-middle-fingers-cross

Edit: Also, the fabled Intel GPU is rumored to release sometime in 2020, but I highly doubt that will release in the first half of 2020, if in 2020 at all.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸