If you don't want to switch weapons then Tarn's Respite, Mohora Tanga and Rust's Poignard are the best candidates because of their penetration bonuses - with mythic enchantment and food bonus they can penetrate any armor. Swords can have problems against enemies with both high thrust/slash armor, but you can use the fists with Monastic Training as back up and cover all the melee resists. Using the black plate or a devoted/cipher can open also other options.

If you don't want to switch weapons then Tarn's Respite, Mohora Tanga and Rust's Poignard are the best candidates because of their penetration bonuses - with mythic enchantment and food bonus they can penetrate any armor. Swords can have problems against enemies with both high thrust/slash armor, but you can use the fists with Monastic Training as back up and cover all the melee resists. Using the black plate or a devoted/cipher can open also other options.

But wouldn't stuff like Tarn's Respite or Rust's Poignard still run into immunes?

I love the warhammers on my barbarians. Mainly for the "on crit" enchants.

Devoted greatsword would be my choice, mainly due to itemization. Estocs are better base weapons but the really great ones are so late in the game I'd be annoyed.

How is Eager Blade late?

How is Eager Blade late?

It isn't; but I only really like Engoliero do Espirs, that would be my selection if I was an Estoc guy (and I would build around it), and it would feel like it took forever to finally fulfill my weapon slot in my character template.

I never really thought of estocs as a good weapon (in totality) since I (almost) always go for two damage type weapons. The base weapon is better than a base greatsword and overall the greatsword itemization is such that there are more good choices available.

Edited by Theosupus

I don't know. There are a lot of Great Swords - but how many of them are really good? Maybe I feel this way because the rel. low PEN is a problem on PotD as is the lower ACC of the modal.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I don't know. There are a lot of Great Swords - but how many of them are really good? Maybe I feel this way because the rel. low PEN is a problem on PotD as is the lower ACC of the modal.

Only concerns if solo.  Buffs allow enough acc and pen to make up for those. 

I just dislike single damage type weapons that much I guess.

How is Eager Blade late?

It isn't; but I only really like Engoliero do Espirs, that would be my selection if I was an Estoc guy (and I would build around it), and it would feel like it took forever to finally fulfill my weapon slot in my character template.

I never really thought of estocs as a good weapon (in totality) since I (almost) always go for two damage type weapons. The base weapon is better than a base greatsword and overall the greatsword itemization is such that there are more good choices available.

My point of view is different. You get clear upgrades trough various stages of gameplay (okay, actually 2 very early and one rather late) and when you finally get the ultimate weapon, earning it trough an epic quest chain, you feel properly rewarded.

But honestly, I also prefer Engoliero, but mainly due to the coolness factor (and 10% Raw lash). It also has a large aoe for the GhostBlades, which is a plus.

In typical applications though, Eager Blade is almost as good. And has higher Accuracy and speed (plus 10% for double attack).

In practice, when playing my swashbuckler, I prioritized this quest and got Engoliero (and Fonferrus! ship - saves a good deal of money!) at level 15, before doing most of the quests from other factions and before even visiting Poko Kohara/Tikawara.

Edited by Haplok

Only concerns if solo.  Buffs allow enough acc and pen to make up for those. 

I just dislike single damage type weapons that much I guess.

But if you don't need to use a PEN buff or AR debuff because nobody has a low PEN weapon (or a dual dmg weapon that actually has a good PEN modal like swords) you can use those resources in a more efficient way.

Great Swords are only good against low defense / low pierce/slash AR targets and that's a problem. Mainly because the modal is really bad, especially for a Devoted who also gets higher crit damage. If I had a party and would want to use a two hander with two damage types as a Devoted I'd either go for Morning Star or Pollaxe because their modals are significantly more useful in a party setup than the Great Sword's.

Besides that: in a party it also doesn't matter much if your Estoc can't harm a skeleton (underpenetration on non-immune but merely resistant is uncommon with +4 PEN on any Estoc with Devoted + modal). You can always switch to another weapon. -10 ACC may be bad, but after some levels it's not that great of a deal - especially if you are supported by a party that can boost your ACC. And boosting ACC is always benefical while boosting PEN/debuffing AR is only useful if you underpenetrate. And while the same can be said about the Great Sword's modal: in this case it doesn't only have to be occasionally while with the Great Sword you'll have to buff/debuff all the time on PoTD if you want to use the modal at all (and then it's still debateable if it increases your dps at all).

I mean I like Great Swords generally and would also pick one as Devoted just because I like the looks and style of it. But from a mechanical point of view it's not that good. If the modal would do like +50% dmg but -10 deflection instead of -15 ACC or something that would be better.

Edited by Boeroer

To add to that, even though Estoc is single-type damage, it's high Pen base plus modal bonus plus Devoted bonus leads to frequent Overpenetration for +30% damage - even without special food (which I've yet to use).

IMO a high-pen single damage type in Deadfire is superior to moderate dual-damage. You Overpenetrate or fully Penetrate more often, as usually enemies are weak against only 1 physical damage type (so its possible it is not 1 of the 2 you cover). Meanwhile you Penetrate everything short of full immunity.

And skellies were never a problem. Switched to Spine of Thicket Green (which has +5 vs Vessels, so only a loss of 5 Accuracy, AFAIR). Or any other weapon, like a morningstar, I guess.

Edited by Haplok

Guys, you’ve just led me to check Eager Blade and now I really wanna try or even build around it. It probably looks great with Bloody Links and would be good for both Devoted/Helwalker and Devoted/Streetfighter. Mumble mumble...

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I mean I like Great Swords generally and would also pick one as Devoted just because I like the looks and style of it. But from a mechanical point of view it's not that good. If the modal would do like +50% dmg but -10 deflection instead of -15 ACC or something that would be better.

I like them mainly for the procs/enchants and take the multi damage type as an additional positive.

Voidwheel, Effort, and sanguine great sword all have great procs/enchants and even though eager blade is great I would still feel like I was just using it until i could get my actual target weapon (espirs).

Engoliero do Espirs is absolutely awesome. A pitty you get it so late (if you play the game in a somewhat logial order and don't rush the main quest until getting the Fonferrus and THEN do all the side contend ;)).

Edited by Boeroer

The most logical order in which to play is the order that gets you your endgame equipment the soonest, so you get the enjoy it for the longest time :p

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

There are few uniques (that also come lateish) and the base dmg is pretty low.

You'll also find rel. few other (fine/exceptional/superb) war hammers. You might have to buy one.

I dream of having a sick hammer, 1 handed or 2 handed. Something as cool as the 2 new axes or as powerful as most of the estocs.

POE2 is on standby for me, but if a sick hammer comes with the next DLC & or additionnal content (like they did with free new items), i'm gonna go for a new playthrough right of the bat.

Edited by Veolfen

There are few uniques (that also come lateish) and the base dmg is pretty low.

You'll also find rel. few other (fine/exceptional/superb) war hammers. You might have to buy one.

I dream of having a sick hammer, 1 handed or 2 handed. Something as cool as the 2 new axes or as powerful as most of the estocs.

POE2 is on standby for me, but if a sick hammer comes with the next DLC & or additionnal content (like they did with free new items), i'm gonna go for a new playthrough right of the bat.

There are two very good warhammers; one of them can be obtained as early as level 7-8 (the other requires you to get to the second map of the 1st DLC - which is difficult at least until level 13-14).

But the biggest issue with warhammers is the low base damage - rather than the availability of useful uniques. I actually tested warhammer Devoted Swashbuckler v. sword Devoted Swashbuckler performance over 2 full games, and the sword user did about 20 percent more. I know that warhammer gives you more Penetration and hence is more helpful in more difficult fights; but I frankly have not seen a fight where that extra Penetration made a noticeable difference.

• Like 2

There are two very good warhammers; one of them can be obtained as early as level 7-8 (the other requires you to get to the second map of the 1st DLC - which is difficult at least until level 13-14).

But the biggest issue with warhammers is the low base damage - rather than the availability of useful uniques. I actually tested warhammer Devoted Swashbuckler v. sword Devoted Swashbuckler performance over 2 full games, and the sword user did about 20 percent more. I know that warhammer gives you more Penetration and hence is more helpful in more difficult fights; but I frankly have not seen a fight where that extra Penetration made a noticeable difference.

Lol thanks for the intention but... I've been around for a while and i'm speaking of a new playthrough :p

Already did like 3 finished playthrough + around 6 or 7 that are unfinished, i know about the existing warhammers (and all the items actually) and i already have 1 playthrough devoted for them.

Still, even tho 2 warhammers are good, as you said the hammers lacks base damages and even tho their enchant are good, they aren't that exciting.

I'm pretty sure a weapon type balancing won't ever happen, because speaking of patches, after the next dlc I think we won't have anymore or at the very best 1 last balancing patch and then a few hotfixes then nothing.

That's why i want a 2 handed hammer that could enjoy an increase in damages could be cool, or a 1 handed with sick enchants like the recent additions we got for axes. An enchant that could make people reconsider and going for hammer playthroughs.

Edited by Veolfen
  • Like 1