Also spears are strong. There are 3 and are all very strong. There is even one with pierce/slash in case of pierce resistant/immune foes. Best one is stalker patience anyway.

Another great weapon is scordeo edge (sabre). With tactical barrage ( not disciplied stikes) and confident aim you'll have grat chances to activate blade cascade. When it starts if you have good int the battle is over. ( I was ashamed that blade cascade triggers on 5% of HITS, AND NOT CRITS, so if you get high accuracy/ high hit to crit conversion, this is BAD)

That’s not how it works, it’s on graze, hit or crit. At least that’s how it’s set in the game’s files, so if it doesn’t work that way, it’s almost certainly a bug. Yes, the description is confusing and misleading, since sometimes when Obsidian says hit, they mean graze, hit or crit, and sometimes they mean only hit or crit, but not graze. But as far as I know, they never mean only on hit and not crit.

Clear out is a good move for scordeo’s edge, since by hitting a bunch more times, you’re increasing your chance to proc blade cascade.

I actually tested it with 2 fighters: 1 with high perception and high hit to crit conversion, the other with low perception and confident aim. The second one was always the fist to trigger blade cadscade. The first fighter was even unable to proc it vs the dummies, since he could get only critical strikes.

So, unless you tested it and found something different, i can tell that you actually can activate blade cascade only by proper *hits*, NOT from *crits* or *grazes*. Wich sucks btw, i would have liked it much more if it would activate by crits.

If you skip to around 2:45, you will see me get a Blade Cascade proc with 100% crit chance (Kraken has ~60 deflection, I finish the fight with over 200 accuracy - also shown after it dies). 5% is just a very low proc chance, meaning you will have some fights where it doesn't proc at all, no matter the accuracy/attack speed/abilities used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=168&v=iOd1RCkt_xc

Nice to know, i will try again for longer and see what happens. Sorry to have doubted your words.

• 4 weeks later...

How big a deal is the need to have two or more damage types on a weapon now? I recall that single damage type sucked in PoE 1.

Pierce is the only really tricky type, crush almost always works as well as slash. Basically, if you can get slash pen on around 16 you are set. That is why devoted type saber is still the way to go for damage. 

• Like 1

Scordeo's and Grave Calling are pretty much the best sabres overall. And i would not go for devoted anymore, because it lacks so heavy on flexibility.

Best combo what i figured out is Scordeo + Rust or Mohara Tanga (the spear has 16.8 pen). Scordeo with Tempest nets you a 10% chance to recover instantly on hit. With full attacks, thats pretty good and the 20 acc stack is very good.

Is Devoted not worth it even for two damage type weapons like swords?

How big a deal is the need to have two or more damage types on a weapon now? I recall that single damage type sucked in PoE 1.

Pierce is the only really tricky type, crush almost always works as well as slash. Basically, if you can get slash pen on around 16 you are set. That is why devoted type saber is still the way to go for damage. 

I see. But what do I do when I get slash immunes? Just have a back-up weapon?

You can pick devoted to anything and still take Monastic Training from Fighter. Potion of Piercing Strikes and food for extra pen and you won't believe how much you can stack. Even on sabres you can easily surpass 20 on normal attack plus you are always proficient with Fists.  

• Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

You can pick devoted to anything and still take Monastic Training from Fighter. Potion of Piercing Strikes and food for extra pen and you won't believe how much you can stack. Even on sabres you can easily surpass 20 on normal attack plus you are always proficient with Fists.  

Nope, Devoted can stack only 15 pen, 11 Legendary enchant, 2 Passive, 2 Active. Other classes can has only +2 Pen from active skill. Chanter can get you +3 pen buff, and Cipher +8

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

You can pick devoted to anything and still take Monastic Training from Fighter. Potion of Piercing Strikes and food for extra pen and you won't believe how much you can stack. Even on sabres you can easily surpass 20 on normal attack plus you are always proficient with Fists.  Hmm, but I don't want to have anything to do with Monks though;

Hmm, I don't want to have anything to do with Monks though: I think the concept of taking wounds to do damage is stupid, and I personally detest anything monastic, because I lived in a Zen monastery for several years as a boy and was thoroughly disappointed/disgusted by monks.

Are there any powerful melee builds that do not involve Monks? It seems like they are always one-half of a melee build being touted here.

Edit: Two classes I will never play in this game: Monks and Rangers (Rangers, because I don't want the additional micro responsibilities that come with an extra character).

Edited by Lampros

You can pick devoted to anything and still take Monastic Training from Fighter. Potion of Piercing Strikes and food for extra pen and you won't believe how much you can stack. Even on sabres you can easily surpass 20 on normal attack plus you are always proficient with Fists.  Hmm, but I don't want to have anything to do with Monks though;

Hmm, I don't want to have anything to do with Monks though: I think the concept of taking wounds to do damage is stupid, and I personally detest anything monastic, because I lived in a Zen monastery for several years as a boy and was thoroughly disappointed/disgusted by monks.

Are there any powerful melee builds that do not involve Monks? It seems like they are always one-half of a melee build being touted here.

Edit: Two classes I will never play in this game: Monks and Rangers (Rangers, because I don't want the additional micro responsibilities that come with an extra character).

If you don't want to deal with the pet, go with Ghost Heart. 

And if you've got problems with Monks for strong melee builds, Rogues and Barbarians are both really good to combo with other classes. I'm trying out a Trickster/Soul Blade Mindstalker that's quite a bit of fun. 

I don't really agree that pierce is tricky. Well sure, skellies. And once in a blue moon lurkers. Apart from those 2, high Pen pierce weapons beat all armor. IMO high Pen single type weapons are better then low/medium Pen dual damage types. Some enemies have pretty high armor vs many damage types.

Hmm, I don't want to have anything to do with Monks though:

*Shurgs… It's a pure Fighter thing, you know :D.

Nope, Devoted can stack only 15 pen, 11 Legendary enchant, 2 Passive, 2 Active. Other classes can has only +2 Pen from active skill. Chanter can get you +3 pen buff, and Cipher +8

Yep. That's true… Luckily pure Fighters have means to reduce armour. Plus no need for modal, so it's always good. Technically, you can still surpass 20 pen on normal strikes, though not through stacking food and potions and with the added bonus of your party dealing increased damage.

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

I feel like Amra made battle axe way more viable, you can get it as soon as you leave Maje and have 12k gold to spend. Just need to plan for the 25 strength, so bring a priest along. Swashbuckler gives you an aweful lot of ways to boost accuracy and crit chance, as well as throwing in persistent distraction and some items like Thoas' hat. Deathblows, might, etc all effect Amra's aoe is my impression.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

Trying to decide which weapon I should devote myself to as a, well, Devoted Fighter/Rogue. I have a few ideas in mind. 

1. Swords: Primarily for Modwyr (Domination immunity) and Duskfall (Flanked bonus), but there are a few other good swords in the game too. Dual damage type, less damage than sabres, ~12 Penetration (Not factoring in bonus Penetration from abilities). 

2. Sabres: Lots of good options throughout the game, pure slash damage but 10% extra damage, ~13 Penetration. 

3. Pollaxes: Only two good unique options - one extra engagement at the cost of damage. Lord Darryn's Voulge - Dual type damage, pretty particle effects, and 'okay' Penetration (Few enemies tend to have very high shock DR). Furthermore, it's a LIGHTNING AXE. It's like the Hammer of Thor... but an axe. 

I say "Okay" penetration because honestly I forget how much it has. I do know it's not that much though. With Devoted, it'd be 2 extra, more if I managed to work Penetrating Strike into the build. 

4. Battleaxes: For Oathbreaker's End. Great AoE weapon, but only obtainable in the mid-to-late game. Before then, I'm more or less stuck with crappy generic enchants. 

You didn't even consider warhammers. A sad statement about PoE 2 itemization....

Warhammers have pretty crappy base damage for their speed.

And honestly I think crush is overrated. I did fine playing with single damage type piercing estocs - it helps a lot that while single damage type, they have very high Pen. Very few enemies are outright immune, some do have higher armor. Not a problem to penetrate with a weapon such as estoc.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

And honestly I think crush is overrated. I did fine playing with single damage type piercing estocs - it helps a lot that while single damage type, they have very high Pen. Very few enemies are outright immune, some do have higher armor. Not a problem to penetrate with a weapon such as estoc.

Agree; base damage is quite bad - which is another negative, in addition to the selection.

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any enemies that are immune to both slash and pierce? I have been disappointed with the overall damage of a Devoted Warhammer user - though the damage is consistent.

Are there any enemies that are immune to both slash and pierce? I have been disappointed with the overall damage of a Devoted Warhammer user - though the damage is consistent.

Don't think there are any that are immune to both. Some may have good armor vs both, though.

• Like 1

Most of the time enemies are strong against two of pierce/crush/slash and weaker against one of the group. Sometimes a lot weaker.

As long as there are no immunities involved, then I am okay though with just carrying one weapon set with two weapon types and never ever switching. I primarily use swords, warhammers, hunting bows, and Serafen's blunderbusses, and it seems to me that most "immune!" messages I've gotten had to do with elemental effects that are attached to these weapons or my classes that are not working. But I wasn't completely sure if there were any double immunity enemies. High resists are okay, since I have a lot of armor negation debuff tools at my disposal.

I love the warhammers on my barbarians. Mainly for the "on crit" enchants.

Devoted greatsword would be my choice, mainly due to itemization. Estocs are better base weapons but the really great ones are so late in the game I'd be annoyed.

Yeah, I've been using warhammers so far with all Devoted; but the low base damage is really getting on my nerves.

What greatswords are you thinking of in particular?

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been using warhammers so far with all Devoted; but the low base damage is really getting on my nerves.

What greatswords are you thinking of in particular?

I'd get voidwheel, sanguine, or effort based on what my build was. Id only use wotep if I was making a helwalker brawler that wanted to aoe stunning surges.

• Like 1