Hey guys, 

Trying to decide which weapon I should devote myself to as a, well, Devoted Fighter/Rogue. I have a few ideas in mind. 

1. Swords: Primarily for Modwyr (Domination immunity) and Duskfall (Flanked bonus), but there are a few other good swords in the game too. Dual damage type, less damage than sabres, ~12 Penetration (Not factoring in bonus Penetration from abilities). 

2. Sabres: Lots of good options throughout the game, pure slash damage but 10% extra damage, ~13 Penetration. 

3. Pollaxes: Only two good unique options - one extra engagement at the cost of damage. Lord Darryn's Voulge - Dual type damage, pretty particle effects, and 'okay' Penetration (Few enemies tend to have very high shock DR). Furthermore, it's a LIGHTNING AXE. It's like the Hammer of Thor... but an axe. 

I say "Okay" penetration because honestly I forget how much it has. I do know it's not that much though. With Devoted, it'd be 2 extra, more if I managed to work Penetrating Strike into the build. 

4. Battleaxes: For Oathbreaker's End. Great AoE weapon, but only obtainable in the mid-to-late game. Before then, I'm more or less stuck with crappy generic enchants. 

If i was going devoted i would use warhammer because its crush and pierce.

Alot of the harder enemies require high crush PEN. Dont see the point really in devoting yourself and not having crush

Hmm, alright. Wouldn't that be handled by shock penetration too though? I seem to recall not a lot of enemies had high Shock DR - but then I haven't done the DLC yet. 

Also spears are strong. There are 3 and are all very strong. There is even one with pierce/slash in case of pierce resistant/immune foes. Best one is stalker patience anyway.

Another great weapon is scordeo edge (sabre). With tactical barrage ( not disciplied stikes) and confident aim you'll have grat chances to activate blade cascade. When it starts if you have good int the battle is over. ( I was ashamed that blade cascade triggers on 5% of HITS, AND NOT CRITS, so if you get high accuracy/ high hit to crit conversion, this is BAD)

I tend to do sabres out of habit, but then stick dual warhammers in my second slot -- it's only -10 accuracy for a devoted to use non-proficient weapons, and that way it covers both crush and pierce at once, for when the 17 PEN from sabre + penetrating strikes isn't sufficient.

Devoted/Monk was fun too, since you get fists for free, so you get two different weapons and damage types with your Devoted bonuses. I think every class is proficient with fists, so I wonder if Monastic Unarmed Training would be good enough as a backup weapon for a non-monk Devoted.

Also spears are strong. There are 3 and are all very strong. There is even one with pierce/slash in case of pierce resistant/immune foes. Best one is stalker patience anyway.

Another great weapon is scordeo edge (sabre). With tactical barrage ( not disciplied stikes) and confident aim you'll have grat chances to activate blade cascade. When it starts if you have good int the battle is over. ( I was ashamed that blade cascade triggers on 5% of HITS, AND NOT CRITS, so if you get high accuracy/ high hit to crit conversion, this is BAD)

I've not had that problem with Scordeo's - and my Ravage can easily reach >160 accuracy with Berzerker's 30% hit to crit too.

That’s not how it works, it’s on graze, hit or crit. At least that’s how it’s set in the game’s files, so if it doesn’t work that way, it’s almost certainly a bug. Yes, the description is confusing and misleading, since sometimes when Obsidian says hit, they mean graze, hit or crit, and sometimes they mean only hit or crit, but not graze. But as far as I know, they never mean only on hit and not crit.

Clear out is a good move for scordeo’s edge, since by hitting a bunch more times, you’re increasing your chance to proc blade cascade.

Alot of the harder enemies require high crush PEN. Dont see the point really in devoting yourself and not having crush

Hmm, alright. Wouldn't that be handled by shock penetration too though? I seem to recall not a lot of enemies had high Shock DR - but then I haven't done the DLC yet. 

Shock has nothing to do with it we are talking about Crush vs AR

Shock has nothing to do with it we are talking about Crush vs AR

No, I meant I could use Lord Darryn's Voulge - it's Shock/Slash. 

Hey guys, 

Trying to decide which weapon I should devote myself to as a, well, Devoted Fighter/Rogue. I have a few ideas in mind. 

1. Swords: Primarily for Modwyr (Domination immunity) and Duskfall (Flanked bonus), but there are a few other good swords in the game too. Dual damage type, less damage than sabres, ~12 Penetration (Not factoring in bonus Penetration from abilities). 

2. Sabres: Lots of good options throughout the game, pure slash damage but 10% extra damage, ~13 Penetration. 

3. Pollaxes: Only two good unique options - one extra engagement at the cost of damage. Lord Darryn's Voulge - Dual type damage, pretty particle effects, and 'okay' Penetration (Few enemies tend to have very high shock DR). Furthermore, it's a LIGHTNING AXE. It's like the Hammer of Thor... but an axe. 

I say "Okay" penetration because honestly I forget how much it has. I do know it's not that much though. With Devoted, it'd be 2 extra, more if I managed to work Penetrating Strike into the build. 

4. Battleaxes: For Oathbreaker's End. Great AoE weapon, but only obtainable in the mid-to-late game. Before then, I'm more or less stuck with crappy generic enchants.

Pollaxes have really good penetration! My experience with lord darryn’s voulge is that you basically don’t have to worry about penetration at all, and that was before the buff to two-handers.

Personally, I’d choose the weapon for aesthetic reasons. If you want a swashbuckler image, I’d go for a sword or saber and tuotilo’s palm (it counts as “fists”, so devoted is automatically profficient with it). The palm is especially nice for a devoted since you have lots of cheap, powerful primary attacks to spam that you can spam at higher than normal speed because of the shield. If you want a brutish image, I’d go for the pollaxe or battle axe, though the battle axe will be rough at the start of the game.

Regarding swords vs. sabers, scordeo’s edge is a top-tier dps weapon, but swords have some nice advantages. Not only are dual types really good for a devoted, the modal is much better than the saber modal. Both give penetration, but the sword modal doesn’t reduce dps to do it.

Hey guys, 

Pollaxes have really good penetration! My experience with lord darryn’s voulge is that you basically don’t have to worry about penetration at all, and that was before the buff to two-handers.

Personally, I’d choose the weapon for aesthetic reasons. If you want a swashbuckler image, I’d go for a sword or saber and tuotilo’s palm (it counts as “fists”, so devoted is automatically profficient with it). The palm is especially nice for a devoted since you have lots of cheap, powerful primary attacks to spam that you can spam at higher than normal speed because of the shield. If you want a brutish image, I’d go for the pollaxe or battle axe, though the battle axe will be rough at the start of the game.

Regarding swords vs. sabers, scordeo’s edge is a top-tier dps weapon, but swords have some nice advantages. Not only are dual types really good for a devoted, the modal is much better than the saber modal. Both give penetration, but the sword modal doesn’t reduce dps to do it.

Some cool ideas above, thanks.

Is there any way to put the Tutilo's in the 2nd swap slot offhand and be able to have it replace an off-hand weapon from the first slot without having to also change the primary weapon?  I can't figure out how to do this - when I put a different off-hand in the II swap slot and swap, it also changes out the primary weapon (to nothing). 

Hey guys, 

Some cool ideas above, thanks.

Is there any way to put the Tutilo's in the 2nd swap slot offhand and be able to have it replace an off-hand weapon from the first slot without having to also change the primary weapon?  I can't figure out how to do this - when I put a different off-hand in the II swap slot and swap, it also changes out the primary weapon (to nothing). 

Grasidia's comment is the best, thanks!

As far as the image I'm going for, let me share a little bit of the aesthetic I'm going for. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9E6Q1Omeh8

That definitely screams either Pollaxe or Battleaxe. Also, keep in mind that - despite what popular media might say - axes were actually really common multipurpose weapons in the Age of Sail. You used them to cut grappling hooks, break down doors and bulkheads, and they were more effective in crowded boarding actions than swords, spears, and especially rapiers were. Plus, they were better in the hands of most pirate crews, since swords required actual finesse and training to use. Axes and cudgels on the other hand are easy for pretty much anyone to just pick up and swing around. 

That’s not how it works, it’s on graze, hit or crit. At least that’s how it’s set in the game’s files, so if it doesn’t work that way, it’s almost certainly a bug. Yes, the description is confusing and misleading, since sometimes when Obsidian says hit, they mean graze, hit or crit, and sometimes they mean only hit or crit, but not graze. But as far as I know, they never mean only on hit and not crit.

Clear out is a good move for scordeo’s edge, since by hitting a bunch more times, you’re increasing your chance to proc blade cascade.

Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming are also great for Scordeo's Edge (obviously not applicable for OPs build though). Basically anything that can land more than 1 hit per action is going to be good with it.

I actually tested it with 2 fighters: 1 with high perception and high hit to crit conversion, the other with low perception and confident aim. The second one was always the fist to trigger blade cadscade. The first fighter was even unable to proc it vs the dummies, since he could get only critical strikes.

So, unless you tested it and found something different, i can tell that you actually can activate blade cascade only by proper *hits*, NOT from *crits* or *grazes*. Wich sucks btw, i would have liked it much more if it would activate by crits.

Scordeo's and Grave Calling are pretty much the best sabres overall. And i would not go for devoted anymore, because it lacks so heavy on flexibility.

Best combo what i figured out is Scordeo + Rust or Mohara Tanga (the spear has 16.8 pen). Scordeo with Tempest nets you a 10% chance to recover instantly on hit. With full attacks, thats pretty good and the 20 acc stack is very good.

BotEP (not WotEP) is very good for a Devoted too, especially if you’re a Devoted/Monk. If you aren’t, consider having a Priest in your party to cast Champion’s Boon to replace Thubderous Blows—your PEN will be stellar. Monastic Unarmed Training would be a good pick so you could switch to fists against pierce-immune foes (as already mentioned in this thread.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I actually tested it with 2 fighters: 1 with high perception and high hit to crit conversion, the other with low perception and confident aim. The second one was always the fist to trigger blade cadscade. The first fighter was even unable to proc it vs the dummies, since he could get only critical strikes.

So, unless you tested it and found something different, i can tell that you actually can activate blade cascade only by proper *hits*, NOT from *crits* or *grazes*. Wich sucks btw, i would have liked it much more if it would activate by crits.

If you skip to around 2:45, you will see me get a Blade Cascade proc with 100% crit chance (Kraken has ~60 deflection, I finish the fight with over 200 accuracy - also shown after it dies). 5% is just a very low proc chance, meaning you will have some fights where it doesn't proc at all, no matter the accuracy/attack speed/abilities used.

Edited by thundercleese
  • Like 1