Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Backer rewards rip off

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4972 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I doubt that. Obsidian explained about the Steam keys already in the Fig comments during the crowdfunding campaign. The mistake was in assuming every backer would read them and run into the information. A clearer communication was in order.

However I believe Dan H addressed this in the other thread about backer rewards? IIRC he did admit on behalf of Obsidian that communication on this matter was subpar.

I knew from the Fig campaign so I’m not overly bothered (although I would have preferred DVDs), but I understand the frustration of those who only learned about this upon opening their CE.
  • JerekKruger likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3338 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I doubt that. Obsidian explained about the Steam keys already in the Fig comments during the crowdfunding campaign. The mistake was in assuming every backer would read them and run into the information. A clearer communication was in order.

I'm not saying VE were behind the decision not to give physical tier backers actual DVDs (like you say, that precedes their involvement) but that they might have been behind the decision to have a physical edition for sale at release. At least some of the disappointment seems to stem from this fact.
  • AndreaColombo, TheisEjsing and boffmoffet like this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5098 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd think - if any of the companies involved  was pushing for an on-sale physical edition - it'd be THQ Nordic. Weren't they the company handling the physical releases?  Maybe they needed something more to distribute than just to the FIG backers to be interested?

As an aside, the stated reason during the campaign for dropping the physical discs was the difficulty for Obsidian to keep the disc version patched.  So if the set on sale at Amazon really has the game on discs (i notice the picture seems to be a promotional image) - how is it getting patched?  From THQ Nordic? Versus Evil? Or is it the steam installer disc talked about early on and doesn't really have the physical game on it?

• dam, boffmoffet and JerekKruger like this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3338 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Good point regarding THQ Nordic.

I had assumed disc versions would simply be Steam versions that complete the original installation from the disc rather than downloading from Steam. After that, patching would still be handled by Steam. Of course if they aren't tied to Steam that would indeed be a headache for Obsidian to manage.
  • Amentep, dam and boffmoffet like this

XEternalXDreamsX

XEternalXDreamsX

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 51 posts

I got my CE the other day, i knew b4 hand there be no discs, so it didnt bother me tbh. I love everything else in the CE. its good quality, the manual is nice and chunky, the big box is great, and love its in the vain of bg1-2 old pc boxes. overall i feel i got what i paid for. I mean sure i get why some are disappointed about the discs , but it did say in the details " game code" not game disc. so read better lol

(The description aside) If we look at what is actually inside on the list, there is no physical Blu-Ray, CD, or DVD listed.

Now, do the backers deserve one?
Simple answer, yes. :p

dam

dam

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I believe it actually did state that it was a code somewhere. I was never under the impression that I was receiving a disc because of this. It just isn't done anymore.

Yeah, I think I remember the same but you should be able to find that back in the original Fig campaign one way or another. I don't get the desire for a "physical" game. Like, unless you live somewhere with no internet access, in which case how are you posting / how did you back the fig campaign

Now now, it is not your place to judge, really.

Nor mine, nor anyone else's.

OP thought he was getting something, he didn't, and now he's unhappy about it.

Granted, OP could have been better spoken and more level-headed about the thing, but it still doesn't give us permission to judge.

Maybe he likes collecting ?

Maybe he felt like pledging higher to support Obsidian ?

Maybe it was a birthday gift or something ? (admittedly that doesn't seem to be the case for OP , could be for someone else though)

It is neither right nor fair for anyone to trash OP for expressing his disappointment.

dam

dam

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was very happy with the first PoE physical game so I backed the second, I didnt know I was getting a bait and switch.

I got my physical copy today and opened it up. Theres no disc, no manual, just a thank you piece of paper and a card with a download code on it. This certainly wasnt stated on the rewards page and this is very deceptive. I will not be purchasing a game from you again. 70 bucks for a useless piece of plastic holding another useless piece of plastic. Keep your code too, I wont be using it.  

OP, I share your pain.

I did not order a physical copy here, but I sympathize with your disappointment all the same.

Obsidian admitted communication on the matter could have been better, and to be fair I believe they've learned from the mistake.

Obviously this isn't getting you your money back and I can understand why that would be frustrating.

However, have not Obsidian tried to do the right thing, on numerous occasions ?

They've kept PoE1 updated and patched for a long time, something that becomes rarer and rarer these years.

They've pushed out PoE2 as soon as was possible, and delivered extras as free DLCs to polish the game.

You've said it yourself, you enjoyed PoE1 a lot, and I'd wager you've enjoyed PoE2 at least as much.

It would be a shame for you to miss out on other content from Obsidian because of an honest communication mistake on Obsidian's part.

I honestly believe this wasn't an intentional scam from them, because PoE1 and PoE2 raised enough funds for them not to resort to such low business tactics.

See here, nobody's saying it's your fault, maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

Nobody cares about that, what matters is that you be a happy customer.

What matters is that you be able to look back on this in 6 months and think "man, that sucked, but they did right by me, this is a company I trust".

Mayhap reaching out to Obsidian's support would allow the 2 of you to come to an agreement ? (say, an extra CD key, a free copy of Tyranny, I don't know...)

It wouldn't take away the disappointment with regards to the absence of physical discs obviously, but it could certainly alleviate it somewhat.

Again OP, I sympathize with you, I can only hope you find an amenable resolution and come back with us in the "I like obsidian" corner.

namelessthree

namelessthree

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I just received my physical copy of the game only to realize... there was no disc inside. Only an activation card. Hugely disappointed by this decision. When I backed the game the reward stated "Physical copy of Pillars of Eternity II". This was definitely not.

Are we going to get a disc in the future? Is Obsidian going to fix this? Or was I just ripped off 70 dollars for a box with a thank you note on it? If so, I know which company I won't be backing again which is a shame since I love all Obsidian games and backed Pillars 1 but this decision was a very s-hitty thing to do.

Edited by namelessthree, 18 September 2018 - 11:42 AM.

cykow

cykow

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I also received my physical copy, and I know that I will not back obsidian anymore but I will now buy from Amazon once the game out.

Buying from Amazon have more goodies for the same price on Fig.

daven

daven

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 498 posts

This seems like almost the exact same blunder inXile did with Torment: Tides of Numenera and that completely bit them in the read end.

Obsidian seem to have been careless with this.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4972 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I disagree that the Fig CE is worse than the Amazon CE—at least as far as the Elite Fig CE is concerned.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12275 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Is there a difference in price?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users