That I know of, it was only mentioned in the Fig comments during the campaign. I can't remember if perhaps this was also mentioned over these boards during the campaign; maybe, or maybe not.

I agree this was very poor communication and I absolutely understand the frustration of those who didn't know they wouldn't get a physical copy. The wording on Fig indeed suggested there would be disks in the box.

Having backed at the signed CE tier, and having read about the absence of a physical disk on Fig during the crowdfunding campaign, I do not feel cheated or defrauded at all. The CE is beautiful and packed with goodies. However, it is absolutely true that backers at the non-CE box tier got a very bad deal compared to the Obsidian edition sold on Amazon. Their case is certainly unfair.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It came up twice here on the forum (at least), however it seems plans at the time was for a STEAM installer disc:

Hey guys!

Here to answer all of your backer needs! So, in the Physical Box tier, you will get a physical disc of the game, however, it is actually a Steam installer. There will be no disc version of the game this time around. Though you will be able to choose between a Steam key or a GOG key. So for your DRM-free needs, you can go with GOG.

For the Early Access Tier, you can do both. You can gain Early Access key for Steam, and then you can also choose to have a GOG key for the full game. So you can have your cake and eat it too!

I would also like to know if Obsidian might/could screw over North American fan and not deliver the collectors edition here, like another soon to be released RPG.

Also, how do I get the backers badge?

Hey Karupt,

I am not quite sure what you are referring to. As for when you can the badge, we're working on it as being part of our backer portal, and we'll hopefully have news soon about when it'll launch.

Oh, cool that you're answering question here sir, I've asked multiple times Feargus on twitter but he has ignored me so far.
In the description of the Physical Box tier on fig, it reads "This does not include the digital copy of Pillars II".
But your post I quoted is somewhat ambiguous because if I get to choose between steam and gog, it could be that a digital copy is indeed included.

The reason I ask is because I really wanna buy a physical box but I know from PoE1 that it can get a while before being delivered (living in Europe, it was almost exactly 3 months). With my standard physical box KS pledge for PoE1 though, I could choose between a gog and steam key so I had the opportunity to play the game right at release. I'd be very sad to wait that long to play PoE2 :(

Can you clarify please?

Hi Merany!

Sorry for the confusion about the wording of the Physical Box Tier. We're going to get that corrected. What it should say is that you will not get an additional digital key. When the game launches, you will also receive an email with the same digital key that will be in the physical box. So you won't have to wait until your package arrives to start playing.

Thanks for clarifying this. Feel sad about this though. If you want DRM-free, true you can go GOG, but you won't have a box at all!

Out of curiuousity, what is the reasoning to use a Steam installer for the physical copy? Your kickstarting campaign just started and is already very successful

As AndreaColombo has pointed out, maintaining patches for dvd backers was a real struggle for us. In the past, we were not able to release a installer patch in a timely manner and it would cause a disconnect between physical and digital users. The reason why the disc comes with a Steam installer is that our primary focus now is to get future content, features, and bug fixes to all users in a timely manner.

There's a hotly debated bit in the FIG campaign in update #1 where they have a Q&A answer that might also (but not definitively) refer to the change:

Q: I want the boxed edition, but have no intention of touching the disc inside it (nor do I own a device that can read a disc of any type). How can I play the game if I purchase the physical box?
A: Purchasers of the box copy will receive their digital code both in the box and via email on release day (same code, you won't get two different codes). You will not have to open the box at all, if you don't want to.

Personally I'd encourage those who feel unhappy to reach out through the customer support page/email in addition to posts here (if everyone isn't doing that already).

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hi everyone! Thanks to Boffmoffet for pointing out this thread to me - we're aware of the misunderstanding that occurred as a result of the Fig page's wording. We did not at all mean for this to happen or to mislead our most ardent fans.

By way of a short explanation, physical discs were a nightmare during and after POE1's crowdfunding campaign. We were forced to split the shipments due to the delay in manufacturing required to put some version of 1.0 onto the discs, and then keeping that platform updated separately took down some of our key peoples from working on the game and making it better. The team, in the spirit of learning, vowed to not repeat the same mistake for the sequel, but it seems the wording caused some confusion in trying to reflect that decision. As Amentep has said, please reach out to us at support@obsidian.net if you feel dissatisfied with your purchase and we'll certainly try to alleviate that!

Also, and I've mentioned this in the other Backer Physical Rewards thread but it bears repeating here - the card in current physical box has a code that is entirely separate from the code received on the backer portal, so you can do with it as you please!

Thank you for coming to the discussion. I hadn't sent any email to support because I was gathering evidence to support the claim.

Here to answer all of your backer needs! So, in the Physical Box tier, you will get a physical disc of the game, however, it is actually a Steam installer. There will be no disc version of the game this time around. 

Seems like a self-contradicting statement. "You will get a disc" followed by "there will be no disc".

If this was really January 5th and the backing ended February 25th, there was plenty of time to correct the wording of "Physical Box Copy of Pillars II".

All "physical box copy" games I buy have a disc AND a steam/gog key as well.

I will properly take this directly to support. 

Thank you for coming to the discussion. I hadn't sent any email to support because I was gathering evidence to support the claim.

Here to answer all of your backer needs! So, in the Physical Box tier, you will get a physical disc of the game, however, it is actually a Steam installer. There will be no disc version of the game this time around. 

If this was really January 5th and the backing ended February 25th, there was plenty of time to correct the wording of "Physical Box Copy of Pillars II".

You appear to assume that the wording needed correcting at the time.

For it to need correcting, someone would have had to point out that there was a misunderstanding.

Since party A (the customer) thought they were getting a physical disc and party B (the publisher) thought people knew they weren't getting an actual disc, there was no manifestation of misunderstanding.

Everyone went on their merry way thinking all was fine.

Regardless, I hope you find a satisfactory agreement with Support.

Seems like a self-contradicting statement. "You will get a disc" followed by "there will be no disc".

I will properly take this directly to support.

Yeah that quote is contradictory.

Yes, I can agree with that.

A "physical copy" always implies a disc to me, whereas to someone else it might mean as well an "activation key".

Yes, I can agree with that.

A "physical copy" always implies a disc to me, whereas to someone else it might mean as well an "activation key".

It doesn't really matter what it means to you. Take a broader perspective, and maybe cut down on the paranoia. Stop feeling so entitled and self-important. And maybe ease up on slinging around accusations about fraud and scams.

The baseline is simple enough, and you come into the forum and throw **** around, when you haven't even contacted the official support? Come on...

"They are facts". Ahh, a modest one I see. And your logical leaps and lack of basic reasoning is something else. And I'm not the one spinning into stupid discussions. I'm done with you now. No discussion.

Edited by TheisEjsing

Dan H, I've sent not one, but two letters to support straight after receiving "the box". None answered so far. So, what should I do?

Hi MrSamsa! Sorry, that's on me. I got hit with a veritable boatload of other work over the last week or so that made me unable to address our support tickets - but I'm going through them now! 

That I know of, it was only mentioned in the Fig comments during the campaign. I can't remember if perhaps this was also mentioned over these boards during the campaign; maybe, or maybe not.

I agree this was very poor communication and I absolutely understand the frustration of those who didn't know they wouldn't get a physical copy. The wording on Fig indeed suggested there would be disks in the box.

Having backed at the signed CE tier, and having read about the absence of a physical disk on Fig during the crowdfunding campaign, I do not feel cheated or defrauded at all. The CE is beautiful and packed with goodies. However, it is absolutely true that backers at the non-CE box tier got a very bad deal compared to the Obsidian edition sold on Amazon. Their case is certainly unfair.

Yeah when I said I had seen it somewhere I wasn't implying that it was the fault of anyone else for not seeing it. Was just saying I knew I wasn't getting a disk and backed for the CE anyway so I don't feel like I got a raw deal.

I totally agree that backing for a physical copy and then just getting a box with a code in it is insane, I don't think Obsidian should have offered that teir at all or at least they should have made it clear what it was.

• Like 2

Also received my "physical copy" a few days ago. To say I was disappointed, is to say nothing at all.  I have backed physical tier on FIG solely on assumption, that the box will be at least as good, as was delivered with the first game (which was completely acceptable for me: beautiful box, classic manual, disc). But this time I received a plastic card with game code and small paper insert with generic "thank you", all in a pretty standard dvd-box. I don't care how it happened, but this is not what I wanted, I don't need it, and no one warned me about it when I paid the shipping cost (I wouldn't pay 25$ (!) for shipping, if I knew what exactly I was paying for).

I was postponing my playthrough till I'll have my game box, and now that I have it, I don't even know if I want to play the game. Thanks, Obsidian, no more crowdfunding for you.

Edited by Elfwine
  • Like 4