I was very happy with the first PoE physical game so I backed the second, I didnt know I was getting a bait and switch.

I got my physical copy today and opened it up. Theres no disc, no manual, just a thank you piece of paper and a card with a download code on it. This certainly wasnt stated on the rewards page and this is very deceptive. I will not be purchasing a game from you again. 70 bucks for a useless piece of plastic holding another useless piece of plastic. Keep your code too, I wont be using it.  

I believe it actually did state that it was a code somewhere. I was never under the impression that I was receiving a disc because of this. It just isn't done anymore.

Yeah, I think I remember the same but you should be able to find that back in the original Fig campaign one way or another. I don't get the desire for a "physical" game. Like, unless you live somewhere with no internet access, in which case how are you posting / how did you back the fig campaign

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 2

I believe it actually did state that it was a code somewhere. I was never under the impression that I was receiving a disc because of this. It just isn't done anymore.

Yeah, I think I remember the same but you should be able to find that back in the original Fig campaign one way or another. I don't get the desire for a "physical" game. Like, unless you live somewhere with no internet access, in which case how are you posting / how did you back the fig campaign

Well some people like me who had to leave the states for college into another foreign country would love a way to install the game without net, you wouldn't be able to comprehend the speed of the internet and how expensive it is. Trust me the 20G took a long time for me to download

There are people who have to go without internet for periods (on the road/in remote areas a lot) or who have inconsistent internet, or slow download speeds. I can see it being a hassle, and who knows how things might be complicated even further in future by the death of net neutrality. I'm not quite ready to leave my physical media behind and become a being of pure energy just yet

• Like 1

Well some people like me who had to leave the states for college into another foreign country would love a way to install the game without net, you wouldn't be able to comprehend the speed of the internet and how expensive it is. Trust me the 20G took a long time for me to download

My current install speed where I live is incredibly inconsistent. My download speed currently is 28kb/s (Yes that's kilobytes!) and has been for about two days. No joke. I absolutely understand the frustration. I do not live in a place with good internet and when it does work it's also very poor.

It sucks.

• Like 2

Yes! We have no bananas.

Well, I bought the physical Obsidian edition from Amazon which seems to have more content than the much delayed backer physical CE (including physical media - see picture below).

I definitely sympathize with the disappointment of the backers. I have been there before as well and gotten burned by some crowdfunding games where you ended up worse than regular customers who simply bought the game at release.

Backers should be extra rewarded for their trust, faith, loyalty and support. What's the point of backing a physical CE version that is inferior to the retail Obsidian edition and even ships months later? A main reason why crowdfunding is not that popular anymore is these constant screw-ups. Backers get short-changed all the time.

91LYOkvPLAL._SL1500_.jpg

I disagree the retail CE is superior to the backer CE. The notepad and postcards seem like a poor substitute for the pin, mousepad, patch, and artwork print (backers got more, and arguably better, items in their CE.)

With that said, it *is* shameful that backer tier descriptions made explicit mention of a physical copy that isn’t there. More so when you consider that a physical copy is actually being sold retail, which renders any justifications for its absence in backer CEs moot.

Personally, I like to own physical goods much more so than digital. I may use digital for convenience but I still prefer to buy big-boxed games—and it kind of makes no sense if there’s no game in the box.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

My current install speed where I live is incredibly inconsistent. My download speed currently is 28kb/s (Yes that's kilobytes!) and has been for about two days. No joke. I absolutely understand the frustration. I do not live in a place with good internet and when it does work it's also very poor.

It sucks.

Ok, fair point.

Still . . .how do you patch?

It sucks.

Ok, fair point.

Still . . .how do you patch?

I patch when the speed is up to snuff but right now I'm at 1mb/s so it takes forever. The highest I get is about 8mb/s but that's only for short bursts. I absolutely understand the pain of downloads not being good.

Yes! We have no bananas.

It sucks.

XD same here man, philippines has the slowest internet thats expensive in asia.

I'm torn.

I really want to feel bad for you guys but I keep seeing the same scam ran repeatedly. Gamers give all their money to the devs before hand and they end up not getting what they expected. This happens over and over and over and people STILL fall for it then have complaints afterwards. I'm so accustomed to it that I don't feel bad anymore.

• Like 3

This is a total disgrace!!  I was supposed to receive a "PHYSICAL COPY" of the game, not a DAMN digital download code!!  The t-shirts were that stretch material that is junk!!  The only nice thing was the hardcover strategy guide..  I expect a full refund for this at a minimum, and then I just might purchase something from Obsidian again!!  I will never ever back you people again!!!  EVER!!!

@

TheisEjsing

A majority of the U.S. is not as densely populated as Europe.  I live in an extreme remote area of southern Ohio, and I pay a lot of money for data, (10GB for $100 USD)  I backed the development of this game for 109.00, and I expect a physical CD with all game files on it..  I am not paying for the game, and then turn around a pay 150.00 in data to download the game!!  That's why I backed the game in the first place!!  The promise of that physical copy reward!!  Backers should have been treated extra special!!  The Obsidian Edition of the game that's for sale on Amazon has multiple physical CDs enclosed!!  This is totally unacceptable!!  Obsidian just totally disrespected their backers!!  I will never back any future products again from this company!!

Physical Box:

This is the only place to get a physical copy of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire! You receive all previous rewards, plus a physical box version of Pillars II upon release. Don't worry: we will email you the digital unlock from the box on release day, so that you can join everybody and play on day one, if you want

Rewards:

Physical Box Copy of Pillars II

Digital Guidebook Volume II

In-Game Pet

Special In-Game Item #1

Special In-Game Item #2

Digital Soundtrack

Forum Badge

"Cooking with Tim, Vol. 1" Digital RPG Cookbook

Pillars of Eternity Pen & Paper Starter Guide

Tyranny 50%-off Coupon

While it doesn't mention DVDs I guess everybody who read this assumed to get them and NOT a physical piece of cardboard with a code for a digital download on it.

I personally don't care for that stuff at all and really don't want to have those discs flying around - but I can totally understand anybody who feels p!ssed because of this.

I also think it's a very stupid decision on Obsidian's part. If they couldn't get DVDs in time or if it turned out that it was too expensive or whatever they could at least put a paper in there with an apology and an explanation. Maybe that they will ship out DVDs later or that they offer a partial refund - just anything. Saying nothing about it at all and hoping that nobody will notice is so short-sighted. Can't believe somebody with a bit of business experience and experience with customer relationship went for this option. 

• Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The t-shirts were that stretch material that is junk!!  

If by stretch material you mean low thread count then this is accurate. Transparent is not the right word but one can see one's fingers backlit through the material. Charcoal sheer is the color I would label both, not durable black as were the PoE1 garments, who have kept their mettle through nearly four years of washes.

Still, it does say 'Backer' on the sleeve, nicely. 

Hoodie seems fine but I daren't subject it to the washing machine test. 

All Stop. On Screen.

So I was voicing dissent in regard to this topic in another thread, I do feel pretty let down, if not lied to, about the physical copy tier. As in this thread half the people in it just wanted me to justify my anachronistic desire. I thought this was strange because regardless of why I like physical copies, I paid for one and the store page I bought/pledged off of specifically stated I would receive both the physical copy and an extra digital backer key so I didn't have to open my box. I got no physical copy and an extra digital key INSIDE the sealed box. For this reason alone I wish people would stop playing devils advocate and asking "Why do you want a physical copy?" and start asking "Why did we not receive a physical copy when one was clearly advertised on the pledge page in writing?"

Dan H of Obsidian reached out to me about the issue, asking what form I imagined the physical for taking. I will re-post my reply here as I think it may be productive to the discussion being had, but I wonder why I was asked about the form it would take if physical forms exist for the Amazon copy.

"Knowing that disks throw a kink in modern development cycles I think a physical copy in a crowdfund development cycle like this can be flexible in form, but still meet the needs of your customer.  Just be upfront about what form it will take. For my own sake I am fortunate to have redeemed on GOG, which provides offline backups of their installers, including the latest patches. I can throw these on a USB and hike with them easily enough.  Update it when I get back to town with the latest files. In future projects, if you want to offer a physical copy you could provide an awesome thumb-drive of sufficient size that is themed to the game, with a GOG key. You could use the first version of the GOG installer as the pre-load, so it wont cost money to develop new installers and patchers on Obsidian's side, and backers could just throw the patches and DLC backups on there as you update it, along with their favorite custom portraits or saves. Would even leave you the option to include exclusive digital extras or pre-load installers for things GOG version backers missed out on like the Deadfire Scavenger Hunt code items."

• Like 7

Again it doesn't state a physical copy of the game is there just a box and as such there isn't anything there that's falsely advertised. I think however, it could have been worded better. In the future I think a very clear and blunt, "There is no physical disc included." statement would be best.

Speaking for myself everything I ordered arrived in prime condition so I can't complain as I like the game as well. Things happens and life moves on.

• Like 1

Yes! We have no bananas.

I'll quote again from the fig campaign:

Physical Box:

This is the only place to get a physical copy of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire! You receive all previous rewards, plus a physical box version of Pillars II upon release. Don't worry: we will email you the digital unlock from the box on release day, so that you can join everybody and play on day one, if you want

Rewards:

[...]

It does state a physical copy is in there.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'll quote again from the fig campaign:

Physical Box:

Rewards:

[...]

It does state a physical copy is in there.

During the campaign this was changed or clarified, though:

Hey guys!

Here to answer all of your backer needs! So, in the Physical Box tier, you will get a physical disc of the game, however, it is actually a Steam installer. There will be no disc version of the game this time around. Though you will be able to choose between a Steam key or a GOG key. So for your DRM-free needs, you can go with GOG.

For the Early Access Tier, you can do both. You can gain Early Access key for Steam, and then you can also choose to have a GOG key for the full game. So you can have your cake and eat it too!

It sounds like at some point after this they decided to not go the steam installer disc and just activation code.

Oh, cool that you're answering question here sir, I've asked multiple times Feargus on twitter but he has ignored me so far.

In the description of the Physical Box tier on fig, it reads "This does not include the digital copy of Pillars II".

But your post I quoted is somewhat ambiguous because if I get to choose between steam and gog, it could be that a digital copy is indeed included.

The reason I ask is because I really wanna buy a physical box but I know from PoE1 that it can get a while before being delivered (living in Europe, it was almost exactly 3 months). With my standard physical box KS pledge for PoE1 though, I could choose between a gog and steam key so I had the opportunity to play the game right at release. I'd be very sad to wait that long to play PoE2 :(

Can you clarify please?

Hi Merany!

Sorry for the confusion about the wording of the Physical Box Tier. We're going to get that corrected. What it should say is that you will not get an additional digital key. When the game launches, you will also receive an email with the same digital key that will be in the physical box. So you won't have to wait until your package arrives to start playing.

Thanks for clarifying this. Feel sad about this though. If you want DRM-free, true you can go GOG, but you won't have a box at all!

Out of curiuousity, what is the reasoning to use a Steam installer for the physical copy? Your kickstarting campaign just started and is already very successful

As AndreaColombo has pointed out, maintaining patches for dvd backers was a real struggle for us. In the past, we were not able to release a installer patch in a timely manner and it would cause a disconnect between physical and digital users. The reason why the disc comes with a Steam installer is that our primary focus now is to get future content, features, and bug fixes to all users in a timely manner.

I'm thinking that maybe they never got the wording on the Fig site altered to pass this clarification on, I guess.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I was very happy with the first PoE physical game so I backed the second, I didnt know I was getting a bait and switch.

I got my physical copy today and opened it up. Theres no disc, no manual, just a thank you piece of paper and a card with a download code on it. This certainly wasnt stated on the rewards page and this is very deceptive. I will not be purchasing a game from you again. 70 bucks for a useless piece of plastic holding another useless piece of plastic. Keep your code too, I wont be using it.  

Presumably they didn't intend to rip you off, but, rather,  came at this from the perspective that downloading is easy. Since that is not the case for you, you might want to DM one of the devs and see if they can help you.