Does anyone else's miniatures look very...questionable?

Did I learn well, or do I need to educate myself further?  I only spent most of my childhood painting miniatures for myself, you see, so I'm not an expert!

You are leaving out a few things. 

Those mini's you posted are plastic, not pewter.  AKA, they cost significantly less to make.  Also, those are promo pics, not pics of the models in hand so we don't really know for sure what they will actually look like for real.  I find it very hard to believe they are being painted and modeled to the quality the pics suggest, in that volume, for that price.  Your post implies they are "converted", as in models made of parts from multiple other models. 

Unless he got them all free from some box he found in a basement he is probably making next to no money, and if he did get them free he is basically charging purely for the paint job.

The entire site is a bit strange. It's only the 1:72 scale range (most of the figurines are 1:30 and 1:32 scale) that comes at those exceptionally low prices, most of the other miniatures seems to start out at about 30£/model. Most of the stuff can't be added to your cart (all of those 1:72 models posted above for example) so it's unclear if they can actually be purchased.
  • Like 1

Did I learn well, or do I need to educate myself further?  I only spent most of my childhood painting miniatures for myself, you see, so I'm not an expert!

Those mini's you posted are plastic, not pewter.  AKA, they cost significantly less to make.  Also, those are promo pics, not pics of the models in hand so we don't really know for sure what they will actually look like for real.  I find it very hard to believe they are being painted and modeled to the quality the pics suggest, in that volume, for that price.  Your post implies they are "converted", as in models made of parts from multiple other models. 

Unless he got them all free from some box he found in a basement he is probably making next to no money, and if he did get them free he is basically charging purely for the paint job.

The entire site is a bit strange. It's only the 1:72 scale range (most of the figurines are 1:30 and 1:32 scale) that comes at those exceptionally low prices, most of the other miniatures seems to start out at about 30£/model. Most of the stuff can't be added to your cart (all of those 1:72 models posted above for example) so it's unclear if they can actually be purchased.

8l9hKFI.png

Glad we could clear that up.

Yeah, I painted D&D miniatures for years. These look like my first attempt at a little kobold I made, which turned out to be Miss Piggy. Who knew?

I did lots of small miniatures, since I loved to collect minis of gnomes, dwarves, goblins and kobolds.

And as others have said, it takes time and patience and some skill, but with some good equipment, you can do it, but it takes hours, rather than minutes, and those look like somebody went for the minute burger rather than the hour roast, as it were.

Which is I think justification enough to at least allowing the option to receive unpainted versions. Hopefully Obsidian offers such options in the future.

Speaking of painted miniatures, I have an unopened (and unbent) set in need of a home. First PM willing to pay shipping and handling gets them.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

8l9hKFI.png

Glad we could clear that up.

You better actually buy those if you sent an email just to make a point on a forum.

Of course you're not obligated to, it's just now you've inquired about whether something is for sale to make an internet point instead of for the intent of purchasing.

I inquired in order to prove that the item was actually for sale, not to win 'an internet point'.  People have paid good money for these awful figurines, that's not an 'internet point' that's real life, real money being handed over.

But carry on trying to derail the discussion, you're doing swimmingly so far.