What race did you pick for your first and second character?

What race did you pick?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which race did you pick for your first playthrough?

2. 2. Which race did you pick for your second playthrough?

Darn it, it's so hard to remember now. I think my first three characters went godlike - orlan - aumaua, because those were unique races compared to other fantasy settings and I wanted to check them out. Godlike had a super cool appearance and a mysterious background so I went there first. Then, after playing the game and seeing that orlans were heavily tied to the Eastern Reach, that's where I went next.

• Like 1

Usually, I play humans on my first playthrough. I was a human paladin and the RP factor was cool. My second character was more rational/stoic as an aumaua fighter with 21 Might starting with Two handed weapon. He was a beast with fighter talents. The high base damage from might and two handed sliced like butter.

Edited by XEternalXDreamsX
  • Like 1

My first playthrough was with a meadow human rogue with the raider background from the Deadfire Archipelago.

More a test character than anything - I tend to like sneaky characters in classic DnD so it seemed a safe bet.

Second playthrough was with a pale elf cipher with the mystic background from the White that Wends. I used this character for my Deadfire playthrough and multiclassed as an oracle (cipher-druid).

Chose this as a pure RP concept out of it seeming like a good narrative fit for a protagonist. As a cipher/mystic he'd received visions his entire life and this ability became more fully realised when he became a Watcher.  

Edited by Androoh
  • Like 2

No matter what the benefits of other races may be, I have a really hard time playing anything other than human (or maybe elf if I push it). Just can't get attached to other races as the main character for long. First playthroughs are always human.

After 3 human playthroughs, I've made an Old Vailian female pale elf with slave background. RP'd her as someone kidnapped at young age by O.Vailian explorers/slavers who visited The White that Wends and used as an exotic-looking servant, as a rare status symbol of sorts... Made choices around stopping exploitation of locals. That was fun. :D

Edited by Teacher
  • Like 1

I did a wood elf first playthrough for bow ranger first - i know sad  :facepalm:

Next an hearth orlan melee ranger because i wanted an underdog role where the country is kinda racist toward you. I was a deadfire slave trying to find my way home to the glanfathen tribes. This is my first deadfire playthrough also

Next an pale elf berath priest. Basically the concept was the Pallid Knight / Judge Dredd I am the law kinda thing. funny meeting the actual pallid knight at beginning of second game. :) To bad due to the events of the first game i lose my faith and will no long be a berath priest.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Great, an excuse to monologue about my characters! Walls of text are imminent.

First  was a wood elf ranger, as I prefer a simple concept for a first playthrough and a living lands hunter seemed like an interesting background. She came to the dyrwood after a hunt back in the Living lands went wrong in a way that got most of her comrades killed, and would've killed her as well if it hadn't been for her antelope. Now, all she wants is a simple, solitary life hunting and travelling the frontier regions of Eora, just her, her trusty arquebus, and her antelope..... and really didn't like it when Thaos and her awakening ruined that. Not to mention having to be a part of the damn politics of the gods and Defiance bay.

Second was an author avatar, as is the usual case on a second/third playthrough. A moon godlike Chanter from the White that wends, hailing from a trade settlement on the edge of the region, so not tribal (still thanking BoW for confirming the existence of these). A son of Vailian shippers who opened a shop after they retired from the company, he eventually became a mariner himself to see something of the world. When the ship was sunk off the northwestern coast of the Eastern Reach, he managed to reach the shore by holding on to some driftwood, and traded his songs, stories, and the small amount of washed-up cargo for a spot in Odema's caravan. He hoped to join a crew in Defiance Bay, until the Biawac hit....

• Like 2

1. Wood Elf (Scholar from Ixamitl Plains)

2. Wood Elf (Colonist or Merchant? from Old Vailia)

3. Pale Elf.. or was it Human? (Colonist from Old Vailia)

4. Wood Elf (Explorer from Deadfire)

Guess, it's easy to spot when my MC cipher was ranged, and when melee... ^^

Edited by MaxQuest

No harm done Boeroer!

Edit

I forgot to mention my own characters

My first was a human fighter. I was mainly exploring the game and didn't finish the main quest with her.

With my second play through, I wanted to choose one of the new race. I went with a death godlike paladin with a ton of sass at my back. With that character I completed the game.

I have since had 2 elves (a pale and a wood) and human and I am hoping to delve into different playthroughs.

Edited by LittleAmadillo0
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Human. Then Human. Then Wood Elf, but dropped her before Act II. Then Human again. Maybe, I'm too dumb to imagine other races' way of thinking (elves are long-living, and orlans are short-living, furry, etc.), so it's difficult for me to roleplay someone non-human. Of course, in Eora one's culture means more than one's race, but still there are huge differences, and an official guide/almanac/in-game information are rather scarce on that matter - I've spent plenty of time reading various forum threads where people speculate on details.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...