What would you like to see in future DLCs and patches?

Many great suggestions and ideas in this thread.

- More options for AI customization would be great, I'd like it to be possible to set conditions to attack allies, reasons exist. Paladin remove charm, Streetsweeper, "Lord of the Imps" :p

- I would love if they gave enemies more devastating combat abilities, remember first encounter with Phantoms in first game. Adragans?

- I wish for more Unique maces and one handed axes as well as daggers and stilettos.

- a visualisation of the command queue that you can build up with the shift key.

- unique icons for abilities.

- more godlikes

- more priest subclasses (I would like to play priests of Abydon and Galawain).

- more paladin subclasses (including Steel Garrotte and Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr and others that got mentioned in lore)

- better (not necessarily more powerful) trinkets. Not "whatever spell 1/rest".

- being able to save a character as hireling (giving him classes, stats, portrait, backstory and auto-leveling settings and basic starting equipment). Make them shareable. Basically how you could do in lcewind Dale (original idea by Gromnir).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 8

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I want another Battle of Yenwood Field, in...

...a new map depicting the main streets and back alleys of Ukaizo, where your party is passing through on the way to meet Eothas for the last time. Only to find themselves in a midst of a pitched battle between the forces of the faction you're supporting, and those of the second most powerful faction who's opposing you at that point. Make it like the druid attack on Sayuka on a much larger scale, with your party rushing from point to point to help secure the streets of Ukaizo for the faction you're backing.

• Like 5

Engine fixes. I get crashes about once a day that are sometimes only solvable by powering down the PC. After a few hours of play the mouse becomes unresponsive or combat messages like "Stunned"  or damage values etc. do not disappear after combat. Sometimes I am not able to save at all. These only disappear after quitting to menu at least. So I find myself restarting the game quite regularly.

Ship combat: The press 1 to continue when that is the only option gets very tedious. Why not present us with the whole menu right away?

Not being able to see the skills outside of leveling is pretty bad.

Quests: Things get really wonky when you do them out of order or differently.

Portraits: I was really disappointed with this one. They just reused the ones from PoE1 and added some really bad ones based on real life people.

More variety for weapons and armor and not just retextures. They even look the same Superb and up. Unique items just look garish. No subtlety there. But that my only be personal taste. I gotta say it is a big improvement over the first game though.

Edited by Artaios

I want the next DLC to be BIG.  White March 1+2 size.  I loved Beast of Winter but it was just too short.  I would like the DLC to add 2 or 3 large dungeons, lots of NPCs with side quests, a companion or two, increase the level cap, and maybe add a couple new classes or at least new abilities to existing classes.

I don't like these $10 DLCs with a few new areas.  I want a nice, meaty $40 expansion like Heart of Winter and Tales of the Sword Coast.  But it sounds like that's not going to happen unfortunately.

But that's all not really DLC material but patching material.

The thread's topic title does include patches.

I would also like the reputation system to be rebalanced. Right now I can max out every single reputation. I can be cruel and kind at the same time. I was thinking that reputation should decay over time or as you change direction.

Edited by Artaios

But that's all not really DLC material but patching material.

The thread's topic title does include patches.

I would also like the reputation system to be rebalanced. Right now I can max out every single reputation. I can be cruel and kind at the same time. I was thinking that reputation should decay over time or as you change direction.

Oops, sorry. You are right. The title is cut off on my phone. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Oh, fixes to the ship combat system:

Presuming that they keep the same basic system --

I'd really like to see a tacking mechanic added. Angled turning and sailing (i.e., on a slow ship, you turn 45 degrees in a round instead of 90, etc.) ; approaching at an angle lets you move toward them at half speed and fire at half accuracy;  a wind direction mechanic where you can't sail *into* the wind but have to tack if the enemy is directly upwind; etc. 

I realize I'm probably the only person who wants this but there's a real potential for a fun ship minigame there, it's just that the current incarnation is too simplified for the people who want cool naval combat and too complex for the people who don't.

• Like 3

this is something simple, but i'd like to see more items made for specific classes with specific models.

A Black Jacket for Black Jackets, for example (I think it says many wear a brigandine) with a series of enchantments that stay thematic-- maybe plus damage each time you switch between weapon slots on attack.

An assassin's blade

Some kind of remembrance focus necklace for the ghost heart that increases efficiency of the pet.

small things like that': probably as part of a free DLC pack.

• Like 1

A fleshed out world to explore.  This will require redesigning most of the combat encounters in the optional areas, because currently VERY few of them are memorable in any way, shape, or form - even the bounty hunts are almost invariably "here are some dudes in a field, go fight them."  Most of the little dungeons are "here are some dudes in a couple of rooms, go fight them."  There's little depth or nuance to any of it, so it makes it feel very same-y - exploration isn't satisfying when only one in a dozen little islands has anything interesting or of note (like the dungeon with Woedicans doing the sorts of thing that makes everyone love those humorless hypocritical jerks) and the rest are basically just the result of copy-pasting a bunch of monsters in an open field to give the player something to do to make the world seem less barren.  Add rocks, trees, bushes, deep sand and mud and water to existing areas to add tactical depth to the environment.  Improve the AI so that it can effective take advantage of these mechanics on higher difficulty settings (kiting through slog zones, using rocks to break line of sight/line of effect to enemy ranged attackers, etc.)

Building off of that, make factions actually matter.  If you piss a faction off, they start sending bounty hunters and assassins after you, or you find that they've beaten you to some quests.  Make the world feel interactive and reactive to what the player is doing.

Make the ship and ship combat meaningful and more than half-assed.  I'm actually impressed that Obsidian took the half-finished Caed Nua keep management minigame from the first game and went "we can do better than that" and managed to deliver and even less-finished version in Deadfire in the form of the ship and ship combat.

Basically, I want them to make Deadfire what it COULD be... if they would stop trying to make two different games at once.  I want the critical path to be more tightly woven, more engaging, and more directed.  Then you can have a post-game where the world opens up, where you're seeing the effects of Eothas' actions and the world reacting to having seen or heard about a giant green statue stomping around the islands and doing... something.

And as an aside, I'd like to see the removal of all remaining vestigial d20 attrition-based gameplay features and elements because they don't really serve any purpose.  Remove traps outside of combat zones, they do nothing but waste the player's time and/or give them a little bit of free XP.  Remove injuries; if resting doesn't cost anything, what's the point of them?  Remove/retune per-rest items and abilities; if they would be too strong to be per-encounter, make them charge-based instead of per-rest or nerf the active effects until they balance out as per-encounter.  Change the empower mechanic to be available only in combat, only usable X times per combat (scaling with levels, ideally based on base class power level to make single class characters noticeably stronger than multiclass characters to compensate for their lack of versatility), but automatically resets between combats.  They already went in like 70% of the way to making Deadfire a per-encounter game but apparently left in some remnants of Pillars' d20-inspired attrition-based combat because... I don't know why, really.

Basically, I don't want new content so much as I want a DLC that actually finishes Deadfire.  I would honestly be willing to pay $10 or $15 for a series of in-depth patches and alterations because I know it would be a lot of work.  Because I want a Deadfire that actually measures up to the expectations I think an outfit like Obsidian presents.  They had the excuse of having to do a trainload of ground work before even beginning development of the game proper and on a shoestring budget for Pillars to justify Pillars' flaws, but they don't get that excuse for Deadfire.  Obsidian simply produced something that felt incomplete and unfinished.  Deadfire honestly needed another year of development time and, maybe, some more strict creative control at the high level to decide what kind of game they wanted it to be (instead of doing two different kinds of game, each mediocre.)

I want the next DLC to be BIG. White March 1+2 size. I loved Beast of Winter but it was just too short. I would like the DLC to add 2 or 3 large dungeons, lots of NPCs with side quests, a companion or two, increase the level cap, and maybe add a couple new classes or at least new abilities to existing classes.

I don't like these $10 DLCs with a few new areas. I want a nice, meaty $40 expansion like Heart of Winter and Tales of the Sword Coast. But it sounds like that's not going to happen unfortunately.

Pro tip: wait until all expansion are out and pretend it is only 1, but big

• Like 1

Random faction-spawning ships.  Seriously, I understand that the ship encounters are all hand crafted, but I think it was a design flaw to make the pirate theme a focus and not have random spawning ships.  Its easy to depopulate the Dead Fire and have no more ship encounters.  The story is great, the factions are great, the combat is great, but there needs to be randomly spawning ships on top of the scripted ones.  

• Like 4

1- Full attacks meaning something to other weapons besides dual wield. - Shields the character does a shield bash delivering the dmg based on the deflection bonus  multiplied by power level modifier as crushing and an affliction (depending of the type of shield - small shields means longer effects and big shields are more damage focused) Single swords have assured critical and a critical modifier - Two handed does maximum damage and receives increased Pen.  (rebalancing some skills will be needed)

2- Proper optimization because i'm tired of long loading screens, stutters and frozen screens.

3- More improvements of lower abilities that you can buy by going past level 20, so you don't need a level cap, as you have an ability cap now.  You keep being level 20 but will be added ( epic by the side) like Level 20 (1) Epic. Meaning you have EPIC improvements. You can't buy new abilities or passives past 20.

4- Sanguine plate

5- Play as Bleak Walker and a Priest of Berath would be nice without a mod. Thanks.

6- Ydwin becoming a companion (that is a must for everyone)

7- More TV resolutions,. The game don't let me put the resolution on 1080. A lot of the games, including the bad ports, allows me to do that.

8 - More Subclasses

Edited by Siegdarth
  • Like 4