What would you like to see in future DLCs and patches?

Mail armor that looks like you don't bother to keep it clean (like The Bloody Links) or stolen from your companions (like Serafen's Padded Mail or the Vestments of Gaun)!

Edited by jtbehnke

Did I really not write “smarter enemy A.I.” and “more conditionals for player character A.I.”?

I should have written that; I’d want for both.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

First off:

I actually think the game is in a pretty good place right now. There's still definite room for improvement but (at least to me) it feels like we're getting to the finishing-touches and refinement stage at this point.

So what finishing touches does the game still need? Obviously mods can do a lot of the heavy lifting, but given the challenge modes etc. that can't be a complete answer. So what tweaking does the game still need? What things would you like to see in future ?

Here's my list, which is not intended to be complete:

1) more shanties

2) the ability to select subclasses for companions and sidekicks

3) the ability to select additional side classes for companions and sidekicks (i.e., let me make Eder a streetfighter/trickster)

4) more unique pikes, hunting bows, wands 

5) replace flails' useless  "graze to hit" bonus with crush/slash best of (warhammers are already crush/pierce)

6) uptweak the few cipher powers that still need work (defensive mindweb should be on hit not on damage; haunting chains should be an AoE)

7) rescale experience so that you can still get to level 8 or so pretty fast but it takes about two to three times as long to get from 10th to 20th

8) change the triggers for the "faction enemy" ships that carry unique loot, I can't even figure out how to get my faction that low at all without going on a gigantic murder spree -- maybe change it so they trigger when you complete all the bounties against that faction?

9) nail down the few remaining long-term bugs, like the last few import bugs (sky dragon wurm, etc.); a way to view our histories in game would be really helpful on this front

10) UI improvements, especially with the enchanting options and being able to view the skill screen when not actively levelling up.

11) Incorporate some of the most popular mods -- "More AI conditionals," "enhanced user interface" -- into the base game so that they can be used with the Magran challenges

12) expand the level scaling upward so that low level encounters can scale up +12 levels rather than just +6 so as to increase late-game challenge

13) More unique-item clothing armors; I want a vailian jacket that is magical

What other suggestions do people have? This feels like a good time to make such suggestions, while they're still working on the DLCs and so there's still a budget for some non-trivial additions.

why is the flail bonus useless?

More items of all types (including non-magic, master-crafted weapons that trade zero enchants/status effects for simply providing a higher PEN and DMG)

More high level content (fighting avatars, demigods, legendary adventurers, etc.)

More interesting battles (100-200 low level creatures swarming you in waves, continuously fighting up a long mountain ascent, party-on-party battles, etc.)

More unique monsters (and models... not an orange slime or a purple troll)

Enable dying of armor and weapons (nothing worse than passing an item because your adventurers appears color blind... this is a staple feature of most RPGs)

Enable placement of elemental effects on weapons (bring back fire, ice, lightning, etc.)

Enable purchasing of rare components at an appropriately high price (why make only a handful of weapons and armor viable?)

FIX crappy Tier 8 and 9 powers for certain classes (fighters, paladins, etc.)

FIX useless mid-tier powers (reduce costs and/or make them actually worth considering)

FIX mechanics to make two-handed and one-handed weapons viable alternatives to two-weapon style (full attack is broken)

Mathematically, because the "graze" range is so small, "graze to hit" is just dramatically worse than other bonuses -- for example, to be as good as the +5 accuracy bonus that rapiers get, you'd need something like 40% graze to hit, not just 10%.  It's by far the weakest bonus of all the weapon specials. 

Anyway, additional suggestions cobbled from other threads:

Make the Arquebus do crushing damage (bows do slash/pierce already)

Remove the bonus AR that enemies get on POTD (it forces use of high-penetration builds exclusively and causes real issues with spell penetration -- make PotD difficult in other ways)

Cipher powers still need at least one more upward balancing pass (the same is probably true of druids and priests) 

The weapon modals could use a general tweaking pass too -- some are good but most are of only marginal utility

Do a general keywording pass -- Ciphers don't get a lot of bonuses they should because their powers lack appropriate keywording (fire, acid, etc) and there are no items in game that contemplate CIpher keywording (there are plenty of +water items but no +shred items etc). 

make the game remember that I set it on "fast" movement and medium-slow combat on a reload

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 2

Mathematically, because the "graze" range is so small, "graze to hit" is just dramatically worse than other bonuses -- for example, to be as good as the +5 accuracy bonus that rapiers get, you'd need something like 40% graze to hit, not just 10%. It's by far the weakest bonus of all the weapon specials.

Anyway, additional suggestions cobbled from other threads:

Make the Arquebus do crushing damage (bows do slash/pierce already)

Remove the bonus AR that enemies get on POTD (it forces use of high-penetration builds exclusively and causes real issues with spell penetration -- make PotD difficult in other ways)

Cipher powers still need at least one more upward balancing pass (the same is probably true of druids and priests)

The weapon modals could use a general tweaking pass too -- some are good but most are of only marginal utility

Do a general keywording pass -- Ciphers don't get a lot of bonuses they should because their powers lack appropriate keywording (fire, acid, etc) and there are no items in game that contemplate CIpher keywording (there are plenty of +water items but no +shred items etc).

make the game remember that I set it on "fast" movement and medium-slow combat on a reload

10%? It was 30 on original poe if I remember correctly. Damn

+whatever on the MOAR SHANTIES one.  I would presume it'd have to be a paid DLC, cause singers/musicians got to eat too, you know.

And even though I have a Season One pass, I'd happily plop down five bucks for a DLC that had more shanties (with other things added as part of a package, perhaps, if folks think 5 bucks for shanties isn't enough bang for the buck).

Gimme MOAR SHANTIES, I say.

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire

I think some more Berath's Blessings would be nice, especially as the point total racks up from more achievements (we're already at more points than can be bought if one maxes out all cheevos). Doesn't have to be anything game breaking; just fun little additions to add some spice to the game.

some little things would be neat. Pet slot for Eder, 5 points
  • Like 4

My personal priorities are story, characters, and lore. I enjoy combat and I love that the mechanics are actually related to how the universe works, but the nitty gritty details are usually secondary to me.

So I'd say, right now, things I'd like are :

1) More Eothas content. I can't really go into it more because spoilers, but I love what's there and I think it would be cool to flesh out conversations w/ optional branches and have more content related to him outside of that too. (Though they already did this at least a little.)

2) More Rekke or more stuff related to where he comes from. That stuff is crazy interesting and he's a cool character.

2.5) Lore /details on Deadfire and other cultures or soul-stuff (afflictions, how souls affect the way things work, etc). I love the stuff they've done so far, in both games. Obsidian always does a wonderful job at thinking out how stuff would actually *work* in hypothetical situations.

3) More companion hub conversations, if possible. Companions are fantastic in this game, and I love how reactive they are, but I do miss being able to engage them more or have more in depth conversations. I get if this isn't possible with how much work they are.

4) Maybe more discussion on interpretations and understandings of certain gods. **Not necessary,** just a nice touch. Stuff like the story about a cat chasing a light and how Eothas and others interpreted it can really add to one's understanding of the world.

• Like 8

+whatever on the MOAR SHANTIES one.  I would presume it'd have to be a paid DLC, cause singers/musicians got to eat too, you know.

And even though I have a Season One pass, I'd happily plop down five bucks for a DLC that had more shanties (with other things added as part of a package, perhaps, if folks think 5 bucks for shanties isn't enough bang for the buck).

Gimme MOAR SHANTIES, I say.

Shanties would likely be a free DLC like the Rum Runners Pack and that Critical Role thing.

If more shanties get added, adaptations of some of Stan Rogers' stuff would be cool.

and
in particular would work nicely. Barrett's Privateers already has a shoutout in the description of Lord Darryn's Voulge, so those could be used as lyrics for a shanty. Northwest Passage could easily be turned into a song about exploring The Living Lands or The White That Wends. Edited by G'Kar

I think some more Berath's Blessings would be nice, especially as the point total racks up from more achievements (we're already at more points than can be bought if one maxes out all cheevos). Doesn't have to be anything game breaking; just fun little additions to add some spice to the game.

some little things would be neat. Pet slot for Eder, 5 points

Actually, a questline where you unlock eder's pet slot (even if you dont wana give him any pet, make it a only pet eder can equip) wouldnt be far fetched at all and give some extra banter pig pet-eder jokes :D

• Like 4

I think more Eothas content is a great idea, I'd love some way of communicating with him in the DLCs. Maybe they could give a rationale for why it's OK that you're not chasing him right away, maybe they could just give a bit more insight into his character.

Regarding DLCs, I forget if I mentioned but I'm hoping if they all begin with missives that they space the notifications out. Something like a 1-missive limit per boat journey would be good, so you leave Port Maje and get BOW, go to Neketaka, leave and get SSS, stop by the Deck Of Many Things and get FS. The New Vegas thing where you get 5 notifications for the DLC and another 4 for the level cap being raised is annoying, give me some breathing room!

Oh also another request: make it so the level-up screen can consolidate multiple levels. If I create a level 19 adventurer it's wearying to go through 19 level-up screens. Give me one screen where I can assign 19 skill points at once, etc

• Like 12

For party-based rpgs & crpgs, my main wishes & concerns around the companions, their personal quests, how they interact with each other, how they respond to me & my choices, and how deeply they are involved in the main story line.  There are a lot of improvements already from POE1 to POE2, some of those improvements didn't seem to be developed quite as far as they could have been.  Alot of my wishes probably won't happen, and if not, consider them wishes for what I'd like in POE3.

1-More depth and consequences to companions personal quests.  A lot of them start out really good, take you to different areas, you learn more about the background and feelings of a companion (I'm thinking right now of Eder's quest), but when you get to the end, it seemed so abrupt and I found myself saying, "What?  That's it?".

2-More depth & consequences to companion romances, harder to achieve, and something tangible that shows you are actually in a relationship.  As they are, they feel just a bit "tacked on" so the developer could say:  "Yes, you can romance your companions in POE2".  I mean this as constructive criticism, not bashing Obsidian, as I appreciate the work they've done, and at least they've made the attempt to do personal relationships.

3-More development of the factions and their interactions.  I personally find the factions more interesting than the main questline, and I would love to be able to get at least some of them working together, rather than just choosing one, and then having that choice have little effect on the main quest.  They all have strong negative points, but there should be a way to get them, maybe not all of them, to work together.

• Like 2