One if my friends just noted a stringtable issue that CAN cause Mod clashes

Some of us are using the same numbers for different strings

My friend point's out that we've got a BIG range of numbers to chose from so I tested his theory

<Entry>
      <ID>2147480106</ID>
      <DefaultText>"Let me see what you have."</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>

There's a LOT of space 

It's possible to make clashes far less likely

If we allow for 64k strings we have 32k available for mapping - so I doubt we'll ever bump numbers

My friend is moving his stuff into new numbers to avoid clash

What I can do is work out a mapping based on your nick that is almost guaranteed to be exclusive to you

How many strings are required per developer?

If I allow 1k per ModDev I get nearly 2,100,000 to one chance of a hit - think I'll go with that choice

This will take some experimentation but those numbers look good to me

You are NOT forced to use this system, clash by all means

The result will be your (hopefully) exclusive space with a report like...

Use the numbers x to y

When I see problems - I try to solve them
  • Like 3

OK Fair warning has been applied

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Please note that this process is messy so may take a few weeks 

OK

https://poe.peardox.com/spacereq

Used a small bit of cryptography on this one (not much and not secure as I usually do)

Anyway, this provides a randomised 1024 range of numbers to you that has a minimal chance a clash

This is nick based and randomises so you can repeat the process is you need a different range.

The chance of a clash is > 2 million to 1

The IDs 0 to 65,535 are left for OBS while the rest is a free-for-all

Better post this on the links thread as well

Edited by peardox
  • Like 1

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Or we can write strings numbers used (eg. 100001 - 100100) in mod description

"The IDs 0 to 65,535 are left for OBS while the rest is a free-for-all" - what's the source of this info?

• Like 2

"The IDs 0 to 65,535 are left for OBS while the rest is a free-for-all" - what's the source of this info?

This is not an info, its just obvious statement. According to string files, OBS is using very low numbers to string IDs

This is not an info, its just obvious statement. According to string files, OBS is using very low numbers to string IDs

Obvious for you, maybe?

As for me, it's completely arbitrary sentence, without any concrete basis.

Edited by Phenomenum

Obvious for you, maybe?

As for me, it's completely arbitrary sentence, without any concrete basis.

What do you want, a paper on Scientific American? Really, what could be a concrete basis about it? Ask BMac? You just have to look at the files, cmon buddy.

Yeah that's definitely an option but would kind of require modders to be across all existing mods - which will be much less doable as they grow in number.

Having a central list would be helpful, but it's not a big deal. It could even just be a pinned thread in this forum actually seems the vast majority of modders tend to cross-post here?

On my todo list is ID reservation as this is something I've been asked for by a few people

In a VERY boring process this AM I've downloaded EVERY Mod from Nexus - I can automate discovery of what OBS strings are overridden and which have been added by a Mod.

I've already got scripts that de-compile stringtables so it's just a case of running them over all the Mods

This system will also allow you to test a Mod to see if there are known clashes

I'm at the design stage ATM and this is not the only task on my list

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've now analysed every Mod

I'm very happy to report that my system appears to be working

While I can find String Clash these are between members of our group who share so @Spherikal's Enhanced UI has a clash with @Kilay's Italian Mod, there is no actual clash here as both use the same stringtables @kilay provided to @spherikal

While not everyone is using this system it's definitely helping (Many modders are now using unlikely to clash ranges of numbers)

The analysis of all Mods will take a while, I've just done IDs - the next stage is to find references (this is rather complicated)

AND - I WANNA WRITE A DAMNED MOD!!! :)

Too much analysis - not enough Mod dev

Edited by peardox